Questions about DMR’s

Solly4568
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I have a CM16 R8-L and I would like to turn it in to a DMR. I have been looking around and found that one of the easier ways to drastically increase the FPS is to insert a new spring but would this stiffer spring be too tough for the current motor and if I was to upgrade the motor as well would it shred the gearbox.

Any help would be appreciated 

Solly

If you up grade the spring with out up grading anything else your gun will break something its just a question of when. Before you do anything make sure to check what the sites you play at requirements for DMRs are. They will require mechanical/ electrironic single shot locks or may only alow guns that were manufactured as DMR. also before you up your fps look at changing you inner barrel and hop rubber/hop unit this will effect range far more than a fps increase. 

DMR FPS varies between 400, 425 and 450 on the sites I play at.

Cheers

G

Normally if the gun was built for higher springs you would expect the internals to cope, but may depend on the manufacturer/model.

AFAIK the main issue is when you take a gun made for 350FPS and then take it up much higher with a spring upgrade, motor may not cope, gears etc.

if you push it past 400 you wont be able to use it at Gunman unless you downgrade again.

If you go above design spec it's going put extra strain and will shorten the life of your gearbox may last years may go the next game. my personal opinion if you are going to up grade gear box up grade everything and stick to the same brand. 

Makes sense to upgrade the internals. Adding components that will give you a better air seal will give you more FPS and a tightbore will up the FPS too. That way you’re putting less strain on your gearbox and you will not need a beefy motor/battery. 

• Supporters

Airsoft gearboxes are made of random mixes of Chinesium, and I'll note that even the cheapest CYMA guns shoot 400fps as stock.

They're toys, they're going to break.  Why not enjoy them as much as possible before that happens?

I do buy into the idea of radiusing them though: http://www.sqairsoft.com/how-to-radius-your-gearbox-shell.html

14 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Airsoft gearboxes are made of random mixes of Chinesium

Sorry I have nothing really to add to this conversation, however I saw the above and burst out laughing. Totally gonna use the element of "Chinesium" when describing so many things now 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Chinesium

First that is the greatest word ever to be created.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

They're toys, they're going to break Why not enjoy them as much as possible before that happens

They may be toys but they are bloody expensive so let’s keep it working for as long as physical possible 😂

DMRs play up to 500fps at all the sites I go to.

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Solly4568 said:

holy crap and it is just a semi gun and no delay between shots😨??? damm what are the bolt actions like 

The maximum legal limit for any non-auto airsoft gun in the UK is ~520fps with 0.2g.  Then we get into the Joule creep slap fight.

At a site with a 500fps / ~2.3J limit for semi auto DMRs, I can't see why you'd use anything else.

I went down the upgrade route with a Cyma keymod m4 to DMR and can tell you first hand the upgrading just the spring will end up with chewed up gear teeth and a very sluggish motor. Unless Cyma have updated them. However g and g internals I’ve been told can be a bit meh when you’ve been fiddling with em 

Archived