Importation - Charges by HMRC

Polluxtroy69
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Oh I am waiting for something from G&G spares at the moment, wonder what that will cost.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ak2m4 said:

Just a charging handle?  Was it sent in quite a large box?  I've found over the years the smaller the box the less chance of being hit, that combined with a low value declaration.  You weren't to know though and as others have said it's not G&G's responsibility.  

I've never had anything stopped via China Air though, EMS yes.  The sad part is you have to pay all these extra charges, yet your package will ultimately get delayed for a week whilst customs / PF tried to figure out how much to fleece. It's painful visiting their tracking site every day only to see nothing change 😞

I haven't got it yet, it's due to come tomorrow. I very much doubt it's a massive box but I'll report back tomorrow. 

Basically, you can't get around the handling charge so suck it up Princess.  (I mean that in the nicest possible way) 

9 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

What that's saying is that Customs have bagged it as attracting VAT (but not duty), and that Parcel Farce will pass on that VAT money on your behalf for the low, low fee of only £11.25 (the actual cost to them is doubtless fractions of a penny).

I'd love it if there was some way to pay the VAT directly to HMRC, and then tell Parcel Farce to shove their "clearance fee" since you have no contract with them, but I'm not aware of one.  Anyone had any success on it?

In order to pay any costs (Duty/VAT/Etc) then an individual or company  can create a Deferment Account with HMRC.

It usually involves putting up an amount of money that is held by HMRC as an  indemnity or "Bond" against any possible forfeiture/avoidance of any import costs.

Once a Deferment Account Number (DAN) is issued, then the person or company that it belongs to can instruct a Customs Agent of their choice to effect a clearance using this Number , the funds then get taken by HMRC from the Deferment Account directly.

Any monies that get taken out of the Deferment Account have to be paid back every month to HMRC.

In over 35 years in the Freight Forwarding Industry, I've used Deferments that ranged from £250,000.00 to £12 Million .

And when I raise a Customs Entry for a customer, then the charges can be anything up to £50.00 for the Entry alone.

Extra costs are levied for using the companies Deferment Account (usually £25.00) and if the Entry contains more than one item , then that too adds cots (£1.50 per extra Item).

So, for the average airsofter, then i'm afraid that we're at the mercy of whichever courier is involved (Parcel Farce/UPS/DHL etc)

Im waiting on about $300 USD worth of prowin mags from Hong Kong. Im shitting myself to see if it gets stopped for duty.

I order from the USA and China alot and I very rarely get stung for duty.

The last time was from the USA in January. About 10 childhood story books. Pre-owned from eBay. That stung me about £40 in duty and charges.

Time before that was about 7 years ago, again, from the USA. An American football jacket/zip hoodie.

Jacket was about £70 plus fedex shipping of £25 plus customs/charges stung me for another £30 or so. This was my first dealings with import duty shit and I was sooooo pissed off.

So yeah, im dreading these mags coming through. But to be honest, I've had so much stuff delivered from the USA and China (4 items in the past 2 weeks alone) that hasn't been charged duty it's probably paid for the next time I get hit.

Duty as a maximum will be 7% as mentioned the main fee will be the handling charge from parcel force. 

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Archer said:

In over 35 years in the Freight Forwarding Industry, I've used Deferments that ranged from £250,000.00 to £12 Million

Might be worth it if you're ordering One-Tigris gear.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Huxley said:

Can't you try using a forwarding service?

Still comes through customs.

14 minutes ago, Huxley said:

I know that, but what if it's marked as a gift.

Gifts are still liable over a certain value. 

And if you as the customer, or the shipper decide to attempt to put a lower value, Customs will take a dim view of this.

A gift, so long as its below a certain value may be exempt - but doesnt mean it wont get charged.

And any Forwarding Company will still have to go through HMRC - there's no alternative.

3 hours ago, Archer said:

And if you as the customer, or the shipper decide to attempt to put a lower value, Customs will take a dim view of this.

A gift, so long as its below a certain value may be exempt - but doesnt mean it wont get charged.

And any Forwarding Company will still have to go through HMRC - there's no alternative.

You could use Mr Marks’ importation service

The thing I ordered was supposed to be delivered today as I arranged that when paying for the custom charge and PF's extortionate charge (the charge is in place to pay for storage and signing paperwork according to PFs Twitter reply). I always order from Aliexpress/eBay and never been charged before which is crazy. I didn't even get an import charge on my HID kit that I bought for my car which wasn't cheap. 

I'm looking to get a rail system, but not worth it if I get stung with the RM tax.  Might just go to Taiwangun in the end, and get some other bits and pieces.

I also find Chinese stuff is getting much more expensive on eBay, some are charging near Uk prices, and with all the hassle of waiting weeks and the risk of more to pay, not worth it tbh.

On 20/07/2018 at 20:03, MisterG said:

I'm looking to get a rail system, but not worth it if I get stung with the RM tax.  Might just go to Taiwangun in the end, and get some other bits and pieces.

I also find Chinese stuff is getting much more expensive on eBay, some are charging near Uk prices, and with all the hassle of waiting weeks and the risk of more to pay, not worth it tbh.

Have you tried Aliexpress? You do habe to wait like 3 weeks for stuff but as long as the reviews are ok then the item should be fine. You're covered by their 'alipay' if something gets lost in the post too. I've picked up quite a bit of stuff (mostly non airsoft) like headlamp upgrades, caps for my car. Plugs for when I'm travelling and I've not had any quality issues. The only airsoft thing I have bought is a 1 point sling and that is exactly the same as more expensive ones that I have seen at games. So it might be worth looking. Also I have never had any import charges and usually the item is sent where it needs signing for yet the delivery is usually free. 

• Supporters

+1 on Aliexpress. 

If you don't mind waiting you can usually save a fair bit.

Another vote for AliExpress, or DHGate, very similar services and Ibe never had to pay customs through either, but always on kit from the States, and often Japan

Ok cheers.

I've had a look, but if I get stung with the RM tax, brings the prices close to Taiwangun for Keymod, but certainly worth it for M-lok.

Do you quote Ukara numbers when ordering?

I know in theory it only applies to RIFs, but @ImTriggerHappy said he had to privide proof for a stock and receiver that came in from Switzerland.

Cheers

G

26 minutes ago, Lozart said:

+1 on Aliexpress. 

If you don't mind waiting you can usually save a fair bit.

No rush atm.

Main item I am after is a rail system, but trying to get the gun functioning as a DMR first.  TDC mod hop adjust jammed yesterday, was so overhapped I could shoot down birds 😉

So didn't really get to test it properly, was shooting far into the distance, which is promising.

I also need to decide on keymod vs m-lok.

Cheers

G

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Ok cheers.

I've had a look, but if I get stung with the RM tax, brings the prices close to Taiwangun for Keymod, but certainly worth it for M-lok.

Do you quote Ukara numbers when ordering?

I know in theory it only applies to RIFs, but @ImTriggerHappy said he had to privide proof for a stock and receiver that came in from Switzerland.

Cheers

G

That's the thing, Aliexpress doesn't give a crap about UKARA (neither will HMRC because you're not importing RIFs, only parts). As yet I've never been hit with any additional fees.

4 minutes ago, MisterG said:

No rush atm.

Main item I am after is a rail system, but trying to get the gun functioning as a DMR first.  TDC mod hop adjust jammed yesterday, was so overhapped I could shoot down birds 😉

So didn't really get to test it properly, was shooting far into the distance, which is promising.

I also need to decide on keymod vs m-lok.

Cheers

G

M-Lok. Clearly.

As far as rail systems go, I bought this one relatively recently https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Float-Slim-Handguard-One-piece-Top-Rail-System-KeyMod-Light-For-AR-15-Black-with/32356102137.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dBewMXP for a shade over £67 with free shipping. Took a couple of weeks but no duty, no RM tax, nothing. Just for example.

Here's the subject part. I guess the free patch has taken some sting out eh? 

20180723_121723.jpg

• Supporters
58 minutes ago, Lozart said:

That's the thing, Aliexpress doesn't give a crap about UKARA (neither will HMRC because you're not importing RIFs, only parts).

Not entirely true. Anything that is remotely weapon related can be flagged up and queried. 

They probably wouldn't pull a rail as they dont scream gun on an xray machine but a receiver and stock certainly did 🙄

Ukara isn't required except for rifs but anything can queried if they choose. Didn't get asked directly for Ukara although it was part of the proof I used was mainly along the lines of why do you want it and are you making a gun.

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Not entirely true. Anything that is remotely weapon related can be flagged up and queried. 

They probably wouldn't pull a rail as they dont scream gun on an xray machine but a receiver and stock certainly did 🙄

Ukara isn't required except for rifs but anything can queried if they choose.

True dat. I had to make a firearms declaration for some magazines a while back 🤪

Archived