budget sniper rifle under £200

Simonwwfc
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hope it’s ok to post and ask I’m 48 years old looking at getting a sniper rifle for budget of around max £200 I’m just getting into airsoft with few mates so we are all new to this game , I’m after scope and bipod etc where and what can you suggest yes I’ve got to get a two tone model as no certification yet many thanks sunny Buckinghamshire 

Hello Mate,

To summarise the collective wisdom of the forum:

Yes it's ok to post, however this question has been answered a few times.

Also 48 seems to be an averagish age here.

The general consensus is for that budget get a combat machine.

No its not a sniper but without dropping a few hundred quids worth of upgrades into a budget bolt action rifle then the combat machine will be more accurate and have better range. All you will do with the cheap bolt action is hinder yourself. The combat machine will need less looking after to boot.

Furthermore the most effective use of a sniper is to be unseen. Using a two tone is counter intuitive for a sniper rifle.

It is highly recommended you rent until you have your registration at which point you will hopefully have played enough to either a) decide to be a sniper and drop a few hundred quid into a decent rifle and concealment b) get a combat machine and have a general role c) find you dont want to run that much and invest in a support weapon.

Overall getting a cheap two tone sniper rifle is not the best idea unless you already have a working gun and want a long term upgrade project.

Also if you hate the look of an m4, you can get a CYMA AK model or a JG G36.

Guest PT247

I'd save for longer and in the meantime rent until you can apply for your UKARA. If you save a bit more you could get a TM VSR GSPEC. It will only have around 315fps so you won't need to worry about MEDs to start with. Once you are bored of playing with it at 315fps you can throw money at it to get it reaching out a bit further and more accurately. £200 is not a feasible budget for a very good bolt action rifle when the objective is accuracy and range.

You could look at the JG G spec, can pick them up for around £155 new with a scope. 

Either that or look for a 2nd hand TM Gspec, if your patient you can pick up a real gem. 

I managed to get a brand new in the box TM G spec for £120.

If your heart is set in a sniper rifle, as above, strive for a a new or untinkered with TM VSR. Then use that as a reliable base to work with. 

I’ve seen this story dozens of times, and almost always ends in giving up airsoft early.

I encourage you to play for a few months on rentals, get your UKARA, get an inexpensive AEG and look into sniping later on. Sniping is probably a much slower and more frustrating game experience than you’re expecting, and lots of people start airsoft sniping, get bored quickly and leave.

• Supporters

Camo tape covers a multitude of sins.

£42 MB-03 (you'll be replacing most of it eventually, so why not start cheap?) https://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152189623-MB03D.html

£24 tune-up kit (you'll likely need to clip the spring down to hit site limits, same with the £21 kit that is out of stock)  https://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152199894-Tune-up-kit-for-the-sniper-replicas-MB02-MB03-MB07-MB10.html

£11 6.03mm barrel (currently out of stock, alternatives are available) https://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152204578-6-03-steel-precision-inner-barrel-550-mm.html

£25 3-9 x 40 scope (or £30 for the 3-9 x 50) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162504564225

After clipping the spring down to get ~500fps with 0.2g (get used to taking it apart and clip it a bit at a time if possible depending on your access to a chrono) that'll get you something minimally usable.  After that it's all about the hop. The Action Army VSR unit is recommended but costs more than the base gun so I'd leave that for the advanced class. I'm getting on OK with the stock unit and rubber, and a modified Airsoft Pro lever.  Mine currently has a curve to the right, but it's a consistent curve which can be ameliorated by rotating the scope.  I'll likely sling the stock hop arm back in to see what we see.

All that said, I agree with getting an AEG first.  Most of the time, it'll be far more effective.  Sniping can indeed be frustrating:  you're rarely offered an easy target in your sweet spot where - if you're lucky - you outrange AEGs in a flat shoot out.  Better hope they don't realise they can lob bursts at you.

If you get a short M4, slidey-stock MP5, or something similarly handy then you could consider running it as a secondary instead of a pistol if you do go sniper later.  Don't get an MP5K though, I want to keep that a secret. ;)

Thanks guys well I couldn’t wait I’ve ordered a jg vsr g spec picked it up for around £160 new with scope I’m trying to find a nice bipod to go with it , now what upgrade spring is best to go for ? What about guarder m150 power spring for £14.99 

23 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Camo tape covers a multitude of sins.

£42 MB-03 (you'll be replacing most of it eventually, so why not start cheap?) https://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152189623-MB03D.html

£24 tune-up kit (you'll likely need to clip the spring down to hit site limits, same with the £21 kit that is out of stock)  https://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152199894-Tune-up-kit-for-the-sniper-replicas-MB02-MB03-MB07-MB10.html

£11 6.03mm barrel (currently out of stock, alternatives are available) https://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152204578-6-03-steel-precision-inner-barrel-550-mm.html

£25 3-9 x 40 scope (or £30 for the 3-9 x 50) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162504564225

After clipping the spring down to get ~500fps with 0.2g (get used to taking it apart and clip it a bit at a time if possible depending on your access to a chrono) that'll get you something minimally usable.  After that it's all about the hop. The Action Army VSR unit is recommended but costs more than the base gun so I'd leave that for the advanced class. I'm getting on OK with the stock unit and rubber, and a modified Airsoft Pro lever.  Mine currently has a curve to the right, but it's a consistent curve which can be ameliorated by rotating the scope.  I'll likely sling the stock hop arm back in to see what we see.

All that said, I agree with getting an AEG first.  Most of the time, it'll be far more effective.  Sniping can indeed be frustrating:  you're rarely offered an easy target in your sweet spot where - if you're lucky - you outrange AEGs in a flat shoot out.  Better hope they don't realise they can lob bursts at you.

If you get a short M4, slidey-stock MP5, or something similarly handy then you could consider running it as a secondary instead of a pistol if you do go sniper later.  Don't get an MP5K though, I want to keep that a secret. ;)

Thanks for advice 

• Supporters

Heh, we've all done it.

Yup, an M150 spring is what you're after, as long as it's for a VSR. You might consider a spring, spring guide and piston set if the JG's stock piston is plastic.  Then again, you might as well get some use out of the stock piston rather than replacing it prematurely.  It's all good.

If possible, try to get access to a chrono before your first game day to get it dialled in - you may need to clip the spring down or throw some washers in to get it close to 500fps with 0.2g (if that's your site's limit).

You won't need a bipod, it's just extra weight and something to get caught on the landscape.  Also, the VSR G specs that I'm seeing online don't have a front rail section.

Some / most / all sites will want you to carry a secondary for use inside your MED.  Got any plans for that?

Out of curiosity, how much force do you need to pull back on  150 spring in a sniper rifle?

Cheers

G

Glad to see you got sorted! VSR is always a great pickup regardless of the brand, always so many upgrades that you can get for it! Hope you enjoy it brother!

1 hour ago, MisterG said:

Out of curiosity, how much force do you need to pull back on  150 spring in a sniper rifle?

Cheers

G

Ive got a airsoft pro m160 in my vsr and it’s stiff but easily do able, funny thing is... it isn’t that much stiffer than a AA M130 that I previously had fitted 

• Supporters
12 hours ago, MisterG said:

My ~500fps MB-03 (with a clipped down heavy spring that was producing 600fps as stock) has a hefty old pull on it.  I don't think it's a lube issue, the struggle is pulling it the very last cm or so. But it seems to be rather gun or spring dependent.  To be fair to the SSG24, its users seem to be cocking it with very little effort, like the frou-frou nancy boys that they are. ;)

Archived