Nearly 40, overweight and with an itch to scratch

Franksie
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,  thought I'd sign up a say hi rather than lurking...

approaching my 40th birthday and looking to try airsoft for the first time. Have played several tagging sports before but nothing to a serious hobby level.

im based in Telford so any locals that can point me in the direction of a friendly skirmish would be appreciated

Hi and Welcome, can't help with local sites for you although someone will recommend some . Go along , run a rental gun for a few games and have fun. Generally airsofters are a friendly bunch so you will be made welcome . Possibly think about investing in your own eye and face protection so you can get what suits you. If the bug bites you will be spending all your cash on new toys before you know it 😀

Welcome! Theres a few decent sites not too far from Telford which i can vouch for.

Closest being High Command in Rowley Regis, think thats ran by westmidlandsairsoft and theres also stormforce over in Rugely :)

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).  Never too late to start the hobby, and the sooner you give it a go the sooner you realise how much fun it can be.

1 minute ago, Jedi_Master said:

Welcome :).  Never too late to start the hobby,

This is so true, I finally got to try airsoft at the beginning of this year and I am 50 in a few days  , there may be a 'birthday gun' in the offing !

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

Welcome. You'll fit right in haha.

• Supporters

Nearly 40, overweight and with an itch to scratch

(got over tens year on you but still very much immature, never to grow up)

Saw the very funny late Mike Reid live once long time ago and he said some words of wisdom

Do you know why women rub their eyes in the morning when they wake up ???

Because they haven't got their own bollocks to scratch like us fellas

That being said, Mrs Duck wears mine as earrings when they are not on display cabinet

(long story short - I've ran out of hiding places & she's took my paypal away :(  )

14 minutes ago, Sitting Duck said:

(long story short - I've ran out of hiding places & she's took my paypal away :(  )

Is this the part where you hope she doesn't sell your gear for what you told her you paid for it?! 😉

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Franksie said:

Is this the part where you hope she doesn't sell your gear for what you told her you paid for it?! 😉

Oh no she KNOWS what I paid for it

(even if she can't find it all)

She has seen the credit card bills and THAT is why I had my plastic taken away :(

Real reason - up to 2 years ago I was earning f*cking obscene amounts of money but got laid off with many others

Now I'm not even earning a third of that obscene wage, but mortgage paid and got more toy guns than I need

Fun while it lasted, knew I was well overpaid but print trade collapsed over last few years

no money in it like there once was, but had a good run & lived very very well indeed with money to blow for all

Hi Welcome aboard.... 

There is ACE Airsoft 15min away from Telford right next to Jnc 3 on the M54.  It's where me & my mate started last summer.  It's ok and they do Airsoft once a month @ the paintball site there.  https://www.aceairsoft.co.uk/  They are a bunch of really friendly guys and if you go solo..you will soon make friends as were all there for the same thing...to shoot each other!  (Disclaimer...sometimes when they hold paintball tourny's we get dumped on a field called the 'jungle' which is a bit of a slog & is in a valley with a stream & bushes galore..it's ok in the summer but when it's raining it's hell...just like a jungle.    Also it's a paintball site and not a pure airsoft one....but it's a good place to start, before going to better venues)

There are also other places as well dotted all over the midlands...just type 'airsoft' in google maps and it will flag up a lot of places for you.  I'd advise going along and renting to see if you'd like it or not.  I'd also advise wearing a decent pair of boots and maybe buying some decent goggles or glasses, as you will be given rental mesh goggles.  (Airsoft goggles/glasses are not expensive)  

Also read all the guides on the forums about airsoft..it's a goldmine of info.  Also if you fancy the trip, go down the M54 to Cannock & pop into JD Airsoft shop...tons of gear & guns and very friendly staff.  Going to visit the store, sealed mine & my mates love for airsoft..we walked out with guns! (Two tone of course...as it took us 3 months to get out UKARA membership numbers)

Any questions just pm me... btw, I'm 44, overweight & needed a change.  Since I started, i've lost weight, eating better and playing once or twice a month has dramatically improved my fitness and my love of guns, gear & laughs...well it's the perfect hobby!

I was going to play @ ACE next month on the 5th, but my new job has me working that day...so going to miss it. :(

FB_IMG_1530702267304.jpg

Thanks Monkman, for your really helpful post.  I should also mention I'm a single dad so my weekends with my kids come first but I'll be looking to get out even if it's for just half a day when the kids are with their mom 

Welcome to the money pit lol. You will have a hard time stopping yourself from filling the house with kit but, you only live once so enjoy and have fun. I would also fit your description and to be honest Airsoft is doing wonders for my waistline so is a win win for me.

Hi mate and welcome! Few of us play at Sawg. It’s 5 minutes from Telford, It is right near buildwas bank actually at the 4x4 Center. Great site, lovely bunch of players and cracking food onsite! Hit me up with a pm if you need anything?

• Supporters
On 15/07/2018 at 19:11, Franksie said:

approaching my 40th birthday

We're always looking for youngsters.  If you team up with some mature players, you should be fine. ;)

• Supporters

Welcome matey ! 👍

Don’t worry bud im over 50 , over weight AND over the hill !😫

But I still try and have as big a laugh as I can at a gameday ! 😁

Archived