I'm refreshing my brothers 10 year old AK and have a few questions

Cold.
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So my brother used to be into airsoft 10-12 years ago. He rocked a Classic Army SLR105A1. I think the gun was kept pretty stock except for an upgraded spring and replaced motor. I've just got into airsoft myself and have taken on his gun - the gun hasn't been skirmished in 10+ years.

The gun was using a Ni-mh battery with tamiya connectors so I'm going to rewire it with deans connectors and a mosfet so I can use a Li-po - even if it's largely unnecessary I should enjoy rewiring it. I'm also going to clean the barrel because it's really dirty.

Questions

• Is it worth opening the gearbox to put down some fresh grease? I already have some teflon grease which I've used for bicycle hub maintenance in the past.
  • I've taken apart the hop-up and can see the bucking has a permanent dimple in it from where the nub has been resting on it for so long. Should I get a new bucking?
  • Is there any need to upgrade the hop-up/change the nub (current nub is a hollow tube)?
  • The left side of the gun doesn't have a dimple (see here), so I don't think I can use this type of rail mount. Does anyone have any experience with either of these types of rail mount? 1 2
  • It is possible to change the front hand guard? There are a few screws near the barrel that hold the left and right side together but I can't see any others. Would I have to remove the flash-hider etc at the end of the gun?

Thanks!

Hi

I would get a new bucking at a minimum, but before spending on too much else play a few games to make sure you like airsoft in general and the AK platform in particular.

It probably does need some grease in the gearbox, but opening it up can be tricky unless you know what you are doing.  Some lubrication can be added from the bottom behind the trigger, those with more experience with gearboxes can advise if that is enough.

Cheers

G

• Supporters

here is an exploded diagram manual of it

courtesy of fire support - cheers guys

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/controlpanel/shoppics/file/CA-CAKA1(1).pdf

so you should have the screws underneath to mount a rail:

kalashnikov-ak-scout-rail-scope-mount-2_

now you "might" need to file a tiny bit off off the top left of the mount

it can on some models just slightly catch/foul but it might be OK

The other types of rail mount might need a bit more careful work/modding

or dust cover with rail is a bit more and not always easy/cheap to source

others have drill & tapped a rail onto existing dust cover

but for ease of simplicity many might just use the bolt on rail

(if the screws are underneath - which they seem to be)

6 hours ago, Cold. said:

Is it worth opening the gearbox to put down some fresh grease? I already have some teflon grease which I've used for bicycle hub maintenance in the past

That grease should be fine on metal on metal applications, It's not going to be any good on plastic on metal or plastic on plastic. You want a silicone grease for those parts.

So for the gears in the gearbox not a problem, but it's no good for the cylinder and piston.

6 hours ago, Cold. said:

I've taken apart the hop-up and can see the bucking has a permanent dimple in it from where the nub has been resting on it for so long. Should I get a new bucking?

I'd get a bucking and a nub. AK2M4 do the maple leaf ones for a good price. you want the 50 or 60 degree bucking and the correct nub.

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/hopups-rubbers/maple-leaf-macaron-60-aeg

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/hopups-rubbers/maple-leaf-nub

It would also be a good idea once you have the bucking and nub installed to take the gun to a site and have it chrono'd. It's been sat a long time, chances are the main spring has seen better days and the FPS is low.

A new M100 spring should bring it back up to speed. Doing the work however involves stripping the gearbox. So it you have no idea how to do that pay somone, and have the gearbox shimmed and lubed at the same time.

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/springs/shs-ra-m100-aeg-black-spring

Archived