paypal claim against me, trouble buyer.

mimozine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi guys, wondered if anyone got any advice for dealing with paypal claims against you? are airsoft guns even covered by paypal? (i'm sure i read something that said they were not, but i could be wrong)

sold a gun, i checked it all including magazine and was all working perfectly, gun was as new with not a scratch on it. posted it in a proper airsoft gun box with foam 360 degrees all round, even added some extra bubble wrap just to make sure.  cant see it getting damaged in transit. even so the guy didn't mention any damage to gun or box or packing. he emailed me so say it wasnt working right, then before i could reply he messaged paypal and started a claim. think i beong played here but how do i prove it?

any help gratefully received

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Unless you've got photos of the packaged parcel, showing you've packaged it securely enough... but even still, you've got a very slim chance of winning.

Paypal sides with the buyer 95% of the time unfortunately.

It does sound however that he is trying to game the system to get a free gun.

The best you can do is offer a refund once he's returned the gun. At least then you might recoup the gun  to check (possibly repair) and re-sell?

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

The best you can do is offer a refund once he's returned the gun.

I'd film yourself unboxing the returned package, as I'd suspect it will be full of gravel and twigs.

Sorry to hear that this has happened, but pikeys gotta pike. Just be sure that you sound as reasonable as possible when replying.  Best of luck.

As above, immediately agree you’ll refund once returned to you.

Film yourself unpacking just in case it’s a scam.

Is it a gas gun? They are the only things I’ve ever had any trouble with, e,paying magsfor shipping on old mags often causes seals to dry out.

• Supporters

Used to do console modding...

and I was f*cking good at it - I rarely blow my trumpet

but I was ultra thorogh, even cutting the Internal heatsinks

& redoing PS3's to run ultra ultra cool on 3.55 fw

fix up PS3 slims, reflash to an ultra cool console

had a nice little hobby going I enjoyed doing etc...

Until some c*nt tried to try it on

started paypal claim then contacted me - wtf ???

kept changing his story what was wrong with it - LOADS OF TIMES (c*nt)

Ebay/Paypal did f*ck all, so had to fight it all myself

I had placed 3 stickers on there all seq and knew what they were

said ok send me pic of the stickers still intact with a recent newspaper in pic (proof of date)

Then when you send it back, I can video it and confirm the same console I sent you arrives back

He closed the claim within hours - c*nt x 1,000

This REALLY got to me, suffice that was it, never sold another after that

wouldn't go through all the time & effort to then have a snidey sneaky c*nt try to scam me

(ended up scrapping a load I was in the process of refurbishing - rather bin it than be scammed)

Hardly ever sold anything from that moment onwards

I wish you well, you gotta fight and defend your case all on your own

PayPal are w@nkers, they takes their cut and side with buyer so you are on your own and at disadvantage

Get everything in writing what exactly is the fault

Make sure he puts in writing the make/model of gun

make him take a picture of the gun to ensure you receive back that exact same item

hopefully he isn't gonna send you a busted same gun/PS3 he got hold of like in my case

As Rogerborg said video it arriving and ensure you get back the gun in his pic you sent him

GET HIM TO PHOTO THE FAULTY GUN IN QUESTION - a number of good pics

If he wants a refund then it is reasonable request to ask for visual proof of item in question 

A genuine person would oblige without question to demonstrate/show the faulty item/make/model 

It could be a genuine case of a gun malfunctioning or damaged in transit

but tbh I have less & less faith in some other people's integrity over the years

too many out there trying it on - which on big corporations might not be too bad

but when these chancers try to scam joe public - that really makes me ultra pi$$ed

Very very best of luck sir

1 hour ago, mimozine said:

hi guys, wondered if anyone got any advice for dealing with paypal claims against you? are airsoft guns even covered by paypal? (i'm sure i read something that said they were not, but i could be wrong)

sold a gun, i checked it all including magazine and was all working perfectly, gun was as new with not a scratch on it. posted it in a proper airsoft gun box with foam 360 degrees all round, even added some extra bubble wrap just to make sure.  cant see it getting damaged in transit. even so the guy didn't mention any damage to gun or box or packing. he emailed me so say it wasnt working right, then before i could reply he messaged paypal and started a claim. think i beong played here but how do i prove it?

any help gratefully received

Opening a paypal claim straight away is fair enough - people do tend to start messaging first and claim later, which prolongs the issue.  Initiating a claim from the start gives a back and forth timeline.

Keep it all civil, the chances are that the PayPal side i you gets read by automated bots, but you don’t want to hurt your side with language & tone (if words get picked up by the bot or a real person reads it as it progresses)

Make sure you respond back asking for all relevant info such as transit damage to the packaging (to support you claiming back on the carrier insurance) and that you get all

details from the buyer

See what they want from the outcome (return & refund, part refund or total con with a refund and free gun)

And decide what you can be happy with - if it comes back then document the package in photos, including writing it and filming unboxing 

The principles of PayPal support the buyer but disputes can go your way

With regard to airsoft guns / RIFs being covered in PayPal they were excluded for a while and then reinstated “where legal in the region concerned”.  I’m sure that I’ve posted a link to the PayPal rule announcement somewhere in the forum if you need it

• Supporters

Agree keep it civil - just expressing my thoughts & feelings to a claim against me

Of course I kept it civil between me & the scammer - ergh I mean claimant

But using calm dialogue request some pics of damaged item in question is wise

Otherwise he could send you a pile of bricks or a JBBG Bulldog B500A1

well I have sent the gun - it ain't my gun ffs.....

your word against his and guess who paypal will side with

It could be a genuine case - stuff happens

or

he could of whacked a mofo 11.1v gone nutz and shredded the piston/gearbox

(thinking ooh f*ck I've really f*cked it now & I want a refund)

or

he could be trying it on

I'm not judging anybody - honest

but if the person is legit he won't be insulted or fear taking some pics, describing the fault

and politely inform him you will check the gun on arrival - say little else

you don't need to tell him you are gonna video it arriving/unboxing

if he is a scammer he will soon start to think carefully

Hope you get this sorted....still amazes me that in this day and age of photo and video awareness and accessibility, some dude still describes the problem as "it wasn't working right".  If you're lucky you'll get back the gun back, obviously not working and minus the shipping fee you'll need to refund him and the original shipping fee.  Sucks dude

I always send a whatsapp video of the gun working properly and then place it in the box. Then send a picture of the box all packaged up with their name on. Just as a deterrent. You can’t teally argue with it working flawlessly 30 seconds before it was boxed up and sent. 

Keep it amicable and see see how it plays out. Failing that.. you have his address. 

Archived