Loadouts - what and why?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know that some people ascribe to the "wear what's comfortable" school of thought.
However, from playing I can see that far more people seem to wear co-ordinated kit.

And with my limited knowledge, most of it looks like US Forces kit.
I might be wrong, but if I'm not, I'm curious as to why?
Or is it just I can't tell the difference?

I suppose the questions are:
Do people prefer American kit?
If they do - why?
What's good UK kit?

Sorry for all the questions...... But I need to turn my attention away from breaking RIFs 😄 

Because everyone wants to look like op3r8t0r speshul fercez.

The US is a much bigger place with a bigger military presence and as with everything, people, mainly in the West, idealise them. Most of the video games, movies and TV shows that we all seem to play and watch focuses mostly on the US, so it is basically what everyone is seeing (thnx Hollywood). A lot of 'quality, big name' kit is also US based/made. They also generally have the cooler equipment, imo.

Even though I am from the UK, a picture of the US military pops in my head whenever I hear the word 'military'. That being said, I don't want to dress up like them. 

Well, that is my take on it anyway 😅 I am sure everyone has their own take on why so many want to look like them.

As for UK kit - it looks boring for the most part. Both the gear and the weapons.

Mine is a mixture, MTP all UK, DPM a mix as couldn't find a DPM UBACS, cheap clone from China.

MTP UBACs material feels softer.

Army surplus is usually good value.

BTP Black is from Kombat UK.

I've not had any problems with comfort, but not used expensive stuff like Crye to compare with.

Cheers

G

Brown trousers in case I shit myself and some flannel to really offset my JPC. 🤣

I don't own any camo aside from an ATAC cap and a Jack Pyke hunters long sleeve tee. I am picking up a boonie for this weekend though, just to have more sun protection from the wider brim.

I don't think I'll ever understand what a loadout actually is. Stuff you carry onto the field, right?

Chose gear based on your needs. 

Matching gear/colour or going PMC/Minute man look is also popular and comfortable too. it can also add to a game mode for the day (so army vs terrorists kinda thing)
So that can cover you for your basic battle dress, Im usually good set of cargo trousers a nice sweat evaporating shirt my glasses and a pair of gloves. simple comfortable and most importantly FASHIONABLE.

Next is the chest rig/plate carrier argument. This is personal choice. so each have their perks you can get them to match your clothing and look you want so dont feel youre tied into one look. While MOST U.S.A theme loadouts have a plate carrier you can still achieve a US look with a chest rig or battle belt set up. so think about how much stuff you cant to be able to carry and if you want extra padding to take hits think about if its going to be okay to be running about in so on so forth. 
best idea is find a shop that sells the diffeernt stuff and try it on. heck even jog on the spot to get a idea as to if it will be suitable.

I don’t have a loadout that copies any particular military (as far as I’m aware, at least). I base my kit on the most usability and around the gun. 

Multicam because if I chose multicam/ mtp it opened up the options of playing specific games/ milsims that required specific camo. It makes no difference indoors because no camo does, and helps a little outdoors. 

I run what I need on my plate carrier. Rifle/pistol mags up front because they’re almost guaranteed to be needed quickly. Smokes/pyro at the rear, because they tend to be used with a couple of players with me, and they have easy acces to them.

If I’m with people I know I run a radio setup. If I’m not, it stays in the car. 

I do like the look of impression loadouts, but I prefer to run what I need as it’s usually heavy enough as it is. 

All black for the Mall, Multicam with tan for everywhere else 👍🏼

Anything  but multicam....   think it ufly and everyone looks the same.

much  prefer pmc or cillivan style.   Just dont neef any Gucci  gear.

Do like it to adaptable ie atm running.a hs flat pack and  clone which is easy to  take the back part off as dont need that for.cqb.

In.the hunt for black pc to run it with still though. But  i have been given suggestions  to check 

• Supporters

When you come down to it what’s this game all about really ? It’s fantasy , it’s all make believe .

If a player wants to wear full Murcan SF kit why not ? Or if they want to run around wearing trakkies and a hoodie ? Go for it .

me personally I’ve reached that point (as do a lot of others) where I enjoy puting a specific loadout together , I’ll spend a couple of mths gathering the kit for it (but I’m no thread counter by any degree if it looks ok I’m happy) I’ll play one or two games in it AND then get the itch to do another one ! 🤦‍♂️

Ive done the obligatory Blackhawk down , tears of the sun , lonesurvivor . And I’ve done French merc in the Congo , navy SEAL , Rhodesian Bush war , US Vietnam tigerstipe , modern Ukrainian .

i do try to steer away from modern british (especially SAS type) I prefer to do 70’s Brit kit , wether it’s a Northern Ireland set up or Brunei / Indonesia jungle war set up .

but then again if I’m in the mood I’ll just chuck on some old hiking gear and run around (has to be said a lot slower these days than I used too !😫) with a what ever Gun and a couple of hi-caps ! 😂

I  like certain camos based on effectiveness and personal taste. The country of origin makes no difference to me. The rest of the kit is dependant on what rif I decide to use - a lot of it is olive drab as it works with anything.

I use belts and set one up for each rif. It can take time to get them how I want them so it's easier to do each one bespoke. Then it's just a case of grabbing the preset I want to use for that game.

• Moderators

i just like ATACS AU, so wear it with a block colour ubacs (black or coyote) occasionally 

tbh, most games i'll prob only have camo type combats on and plain colour tops so i look like im floating across the terrain as my bottom half blends in! :lol: :lol:

Kind of an intentional Division\Ghost Recon Wildlands feel to my gear. I like this set up as it's pretty cheap, comfortable, practical and can be layered up for cold or down for heat .... I also think it looks quite good to ; A nice mix of civvy gear and military, although I've changed from belt and harness to a Chest Rig.

5a856262b7311_OperatorLoadout.JPG.b946a84b0fe07e82a786df02c961a6f9.JPG

22 minutes ago, Hellfish said:

Kind of an intentional Division\Ghost Recon Wildlands feel to my gear. I like this set up as it's pretty cheap, comfortable, practical and can be layered up for cold or down for heat .... I also think it looks quite good to ; A nice mix of civvy gear and military, although I've changed from belt and harness to a Chest Rig.

5a856262b7311_OperatorLoadout.JPG.b946a84b0fe07e82a786df02c961a6f9.JPG

Really like the desert night parka!

33 minutes ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

Really like the desert night parka!

Had it fiddled with by a local seamstress... Shortened by about 10", zip closure to the front, velcro fastening at the wrists and strengthening patches added to elbows. 

Mine is mainly British surplus DPM and MTP which I find I wear less than the DPM, also the odd bit of flecktarn. Its hard wearing and cheap and doing the job it was designed for.  I happen to believe we have the best fighting forces in the world so find the preoccupation with American kit puzzling (unless you are American of course ) so I wont wear American kit and I don't do M4s 😁

Guest pierce09

I enjoy researching and building impression kits as much as airsofting. Personally, so long as someone is happy with what they wear and use whilst playing, I'm not bothered whether it's full Crye and Patagonia kit or shorts, t-shirt and beenie.

I don't think people 'prefer' US military kit but after DPM and MTP, it's pretty easy to obtain. It's also readily ID'd from movies so some airsofters like the kit setup and clothing of characters from SEAL Team, SIX, Black Hawk Down, Zero Dark Thirty, Lone Survivor etc. 

Good UK kit? as in an impression or just good British made kit? 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Nick G said:

I happen to believe we have the best fighting forces in the world so find the preoccupation with American kit puzzling (unless you are American of course ) so I wont wear American kit and I don't do M4s 😁

Now see the reason you like it is the exact reason I try to steer clear of modern UK kit , I just feel a bit uncomfortable wearing it as there’s British guys fighting in it as we speak , so I use mainly foreign kit (not bothered by using other countries kit !) or old uk kit . 

Horses for courses mate .👍

1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

Now see the reason you like it is the exact reason I try to steer clear of modern UK kit , I just feel a bit uncomfortable wearing it as there’s British guys fighting in it as we speak , so I use mainly foreign kit (not bothered by using other countries kit !) or old uk kit . 

Horses for courses mate .👍

This is why I tend to use the DPM most rather than current MTP, its a bit more 'cold war' or as my mates refer to it my Dog soldiers kit 😁To be fair I find the flektarn is about the most effective in the woodland we play in, but then I guess that and woodland DPM were developed at a time when fighting in European forests was expected. 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Nick G said:

This is why I tend to use the DPM most rather than current MTP, its a bit more 'cold war' or as my mates refer to it my Dog soldiers kit 😁To be fair I find the flektarn is about the most effective in the woodland we play in, but then I guess that and woodland DPM were developed at a time when fighting in European forests was expected. 

Aah yes but are you Cooper or ‘Spoon’ ? 😉

Yup all my Brit kit is pretty much Cold War as well .👍

I like to think I am Sarge, mainly because I get to quote 'glory boys and full on fucking fuckwits ! ' 😁

Woodland I typically wear my Woodland Soldier 95 DPM, with black chest rig
CQB I wear black cargos, black t shirt, black hoodie, with the black chest rig (I ditch the hoodie if the temperatures rise)
and for Urban I typically wear a plain t shirt, the DPM cargos and the chest rig.

I keep it light and carry the minimum. With my  new Evo, I am having to consider buying a new chest rig just so I can use the pouches without having to constantly do the MOLLE lacing faff. 

No real loadout, just what I need to get through the game.

5 hours ago, Hellfish said:

Had it fiddled with by a local seamstress... Shortened by about 10", zip closure to the front, velcro fastening at the wrists and strengthening patches added to elbows. 

Yaah you’ve made it similar to that rare gortex jacket! Looks good and I intent to do the same!👍🏻

2 hours ago, LightningCh said:

Woodland I typically wear my Woodland Soldier 95 DPM, with black chest rig
CQB I wear black cargos, black t shirt, black hoodie, with the black chest rig (I ditch the hoodie if the temperatures rise)
and for Urban I typically wear a plain t shirt, the DPM cargos and the chest rig.

I keep it light and carry the minimum. With my  new Evo, I am having to consider buying a new chest rig just so I can use the pouches without having to constantly do the MOLLE lacing faff. 

No real loadout, just what I need to get through the game.

Would you only need to carry mags? You could get a spiritus with sub gun inserts.

13 hours ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

Would you only need to carry mags? You could get a spiritus with sub gun inserts.

Cheers for mentioning these. Might be good to invest in that for my CQB evening games. For general skirmish days I need a MOLLE for my radio and such lol. Probs just buy another condor rig and bib 😂

Archived