Better than an MWS? The M4 to rule them all.

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
Just now, sonofsammo said:

https://www.gblsusa.com/products/das-gdr-15-m4a1-airsoft-gun-gbls-usa-airsoft-gun

Apparently better than a A TM MWS...

So what do you think?

I think the day that I spend as much on an airsoft rifle as I did on my last car will be the day I get divorced!

it looks great and the reviews hold up. But its on pre-order at one uk store for £1575. Umm thats a bit steep when you still need mags etc.

• Supporters

To be honest I'd take my chances with the TM coming from a reputable long term brand over a first product from a new company at 3x the cost.

It could be great, I really hope it is- somewhat reminds me of the real sword AR-15s internally

but it's a lot to spend on what could turn out to be a trial run. That said if I had the money to take a punt I'd love to give one a go

Its still an airsoft gun.... "60 bbs entered a sheet of letter size paper nearly altogether when shooting in 125 feet street".

That's nothing incredible, and as I say its still an airsoft gun, youre still limited by the launching a plastic sphere concept!

Other than familiarisation and CQB no airsoft gun is any use further as a 'training weapon'

Untill BBs can fly 200M flat at 350fps I cant see how airsoft guns can be charged at more than they are right now.

Better than an MWS, tut tut, only at emptying your wallet faster :D

For 4 times the price, I’d bloody hope it was. That being said, I’ve seen loads of youtubers say it’s really unreliable. They must be on their 20th iteration of it by now. It’s cool, but I don’t see what it offers over other guns.

I would put all of the money in the world that if you took this and an mws out of the box and ran them all year, you’d have substantially more failures on the GBLS.

I'll say it again, a company that wants that much money but can't even bothered to spell 'Please' properly on their own website is a joke.

Heard the first gen were kinda crap so I won't hold my breath for this one.

Screenshot_20180709-195334.jpg

44 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Better than an MWS, tut tut, only at emptying your wallet faster :D

Sorry 😉 my attempt at practicing click bait titles 😄 

I honestly can't believe the price of it.

Bonkers.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

So what do you think?

A toy blowgun that cost that much would have to give me a real tingle in my safe zone every time I fingered it.

As for performance any 1.13J BB with sufficient backspin for its mass will travel exactly as far as any other 1.13J BB with sufficient backspin for its mass.  It doesn't know or care what sorcery happened before it left the barrel, and its target certainly won't.

for that kind of money I'd want 100m effective accuracy at 350FPS

30 minutes ago, MisterG said:

for that kind of money I'd want 100m effective accuracy at 350FPS

Which, due to the laws of physics isn’t possible. 

18 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Which, due to the laws of physics isn’t possible. 

Yup, which is why I would never buy one 😉

• Supporters

If you're not fussed about the function/action of the gun, it's never gonna be for you.  If hitting people vs the experience of the firing is all you're fussed about, just ignore it and stick to £150-250 AEGs, sorted, have a nice day.

This thing has been around for years now, in many people's hands for a good part of that, yet people are talking like it's only just shown up.  PTWs (which are out of production know AFAIK) cost as much and don't deliver on a fraction of the realism.  Apart from the AAF gun, the GBLS is as close as you'll get to GBBr function with an electric power source and that took a heck of an effort to bring to market by some clever blokes in South Korea (hence their slightly-off English, how good's your Korean?).  And if you're about to blurt "well for that much money everything about the gun and the company should be literally perfect" you have 1.  No technical understanding of the real economics of the airsoft market and the notion that the economies of scale are massively at play here and 2.  this isn't for you anyway so just stick to guns that shoot as well but cost 10% the price, easy as that.  And I mean that genuinely.

The TM NGRS line is so popular because is bridges the gap between cheaper AEGs and PTW/GBLS, providing about the same down range performance as anything else with some recoil, bolt-lock on empty, blowback etc so the only thing you're really gaining with the GBLS is the need to pull the charging handle when making ready, a more realistic feel when operating the charging handle, a bit more recoil and the fact the piston functions as an open bolt so the trigger response is as fast as they come (at least for 1 shot, subsequent cycles have a lot going on).  I'd absolutely agree that those points are not worth an extra grand over a TM, but if you do want them you have to pony up the cash because this is pretty new tech that's not been around much before in the airsoft market and airsofters despise buying in to innovation while complaining at the lack of it, at least in the UK anyway not quite so much in Japan and the US.

I could maybe afford one if I saved up for a good long while, but right now I think the AAF is actually going to be the better option long term if it turns out to be reliable because it uses AEG mags and I really don't want to have yet another mag type in my collection on top of AEGs, TMs and LM4.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

And if you're about to blurt "well for that much money everything about the gun and the company should be literally perfect"

The price is up to them to set.  If it's insufficient for them to produce a robust, reliable product, then it's entirely fair to point that out.

But why pick that over a good gbbr like an MWS? Mine has worked in all temperatures, Is always going to have more kick than some electric recoil and is a much simpler system than the GBLS. If you put it against a WE m4 then it holds up, but an mws and probably a GHK will do everything that does for 1/4 of the price. 

• Supporters

Imagine not reading between the lines...

It costs a lot because it's a very new system and mega expensive to manufacture in small numbers.  Simple as.  I don't get paid to stick up for the company.

• Supporters
On 12/07/2018 at 09:47, CKinnerley said:

I could maybe afford one if I saved up for a good long while, but right now I think the AAF is actually going to be the better option long term if it turns out to be reliable because it uses AEG mags and I really don't want to have yet another mag type in my collection on top of AEGs, TMs and LM4.

Friend of mine has an AAF and loves it. If you want to speak to him via FB, PM me and I'll put you in touch.

• Supporters

There's actually a guy on Arnies who has one (most likely the same bloke) so I am good on that front but I do appreciate the offer.

At the moment they seem to be doing rather a poor job as a company of promoting the product and I'd class it as a Beta gun frankly from the reviews out there, maybe some in the ether do work but it's way too much of a risk for the price.  GBLS had the same thing out the gate though and have demonstrably improved a lot as they've iterated, which is exactly what you'd expect.  Give these things another couple of years maybe and if the businesses don't fail and they keep working we should be in a good place; at least for people who want the features and are ok with spending the money.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

If that is our mutual friend ask him about what happened when he tried full auto.

It is indeed our mutual friend! What happened? Was it bad?

• Supporters

I just looked up BrainExploder's video on the gun and the shooting performance was some of the worst I've seen - worse than a lot of cheap springers and LPEGs.  After a burst of full auto he locked the bolt back, tipped the gun over and a shower of broken BB shards fell out where the bolt had eaten them.

Could be a lemon, but it seems like they haven't got the feeding right.  Some GBBRs do the exact same thing and it's what happens when you try and use a firearm feed system on weak little bits of plastic.  It takes a lot of refinement of the angles and forces to get it working spot on.  The AAF has the best potential to come out the winner in the end to my mind, but it's year of development away from happening.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

It is indeed our mutual friend! What happened? Was it bad?

First time he tried full auto it died. Had to send it straight back for repair. 

He has got it back but sticks to semi now. Nice gun though and performs well for the most part but do agree with CKinnerly on needs a bit more development.

Archived