Airsoft Argument

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

59 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

I like the fact you have that kind of ethos but unfortunately some people don't.

Well the ones that don’t should not try and do fancy stuff disarming people, because when you make a choice to do something like that, you have to take responsibility for that choice.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would've taken the shot.

Bang or no-bang rules, if I was mega close to someone, like 1-2 metres, then I would use the bang call simply because I wouldn't enjoy being hit that close either. (this is non-cqb) Whether or not they choose to accept it is another matter.

At a pistol game I was in the middle of a reload when an enemy stepped round the corner into the same room as me, he didn't know I was in there - I had no mag in the pistol and just accepted it as a hit. No pain, had a chuckle about him catching me on the reload.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Obviously you don’t start punching and kicking people

But we've just established that airsoft is a FULL CONTACT SPORT (in shouty red even).  Wikipedia says:

Full-contact

A (full) contact sport is any sport for which significant physical impact force on players, either deliberate or incidental, is allowed or within the rules of the game.

Contact actions include tackling, blocking and a whole range of other moves that can differ substantially in their rules and degree of application.

Examples of contact sports are roller derby, lacrosse, rugby league, rugby union, American football, water polo, kabaddi, hurling, handball, Australian rules football, ice hockey and wheelchair rugby.

Full-contact martial arts include wrestling, Sanshou, sumo, boxing, mixed martial arts, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai, judo, various forms of full contact karate, and some forms of Taekwondo.

Main article: combat sport

It's a pet peeve, but I do wish that airsoft sites, and most recreation sites or organisations in general, would stop writing ambiguous and/or meaningless clauses into their acknowledgement of risk forms.  Least said, least misinterpreted.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Thats a fair comment, Playing devils advocate though is other peoples perception of said line would differ massively. Who can define another players level of comfort/fun, obviously playing a sport like this you should have a fair level of excepting discomfort to an extent but I have seen my share of people who would probably wince at even a game of tag (which makes me wonder why they chose to play airsoft in the first place)

Totally agree with you on this one mate , really wide open for interpretation. Take the forces or a rugby club or a fair few other sport for instance (not football though there far to delicate 😉) what’s considered harmless fun there would send most ‘normal’ people running for a phone screaming assault !

Really as much as I’d like to say this’ll be ok by me (and with most players it would be) we all know your going to get some thug or an ‘operator’ types bouncing some spindly little 12yr old with a puke green gun that’s nearly as big as he is that his mum bought him from ‘BBgunzisbest’ “cos that’s how a real tier1 would do it !” and next thing you know you’ve got irate parents kicking off !  🤦‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Totally agree with you on this one mate , really wide open for interpretation. Take the forces or a rugby club or a fair few other sport for instance (not football though there far to delicate 😉) what’s considered harmless fun there would send most ‘normal’ people running for a phone screaming assault !

Really as much as I’d like to say this’ll be ok by me (and with most players it would be) we all know your going to get some thug or an ‘operator’ types bouncing some spindly little 12yr old with a puke green gun that’s nearly as big as he is that his mum bought him from ‘BBgunzisbest’ “cos that’s how a real tier1 would do it !” and next thing you know you’ve got irate parents kicking off !  🤦‍♂️

And that is what saddens me, Airsoft could be so much more but the fact is that even with other hobbies you'll always get a small minority that seem to take things too far.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

And that is what saddens me, Airsoft could be so much more but the fact is that even with other hobbies you'll always get a small minority that seem to take things too far.

Yup unfortunately you do have to run your gameday to the level of the lowest denominator .

Anyway, back to the OP, that was my argument. Seems to be split opinion on who was in the right, if any, but leaning towards person 2. Any guesses on which person I was?

14 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Anyway, back to the OP, that was my argument. Seems to be split opinion on who was in the right, if any, but leaning towards person 2. Any guesses on which person I was?

I think 2 was right, but I think youre player 1.

30 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

I'm guessing by the way you've worded it you're player 2

44 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

I just assumed you were player 1. Tbh I didn't notice that you'd written both perspectives in first person. Given what I know of you, I still think you're player 1.

If a player tried to take any of my kit from me I would object in the strongest terms. I do not consider airsoft full contact. In airsoft there is no reason to ever touch another player (a tap on the shoulder for a knife kill is my only exception).

That being said, I have a disability so maybe my perspective is different, I carry 4/5 of my weight one leg and am very easy to unbalance if someone was [intentionally, albeit perhaps benevolently] interfering with my personage.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

But we've just established that airsoft is a FULL CONTACT SPORT (in shouty red even).  Wikipedia says:

Given what's written on that page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_sport There's no way I would come to the same conclusion.

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

PLOT TWIST: you were the illicit love child born from their forbidden union.

32 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

PLOT TWIST: you were the illicit love child born from their forbidden union.

Yeah, one arm is a VSR, the other is an M4. Skirmishes are very good, but sometimes I have difficulty in airports.

Interesting, mixed thoughts on which player I was, this is fun.

52 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Nope still trying to swallow the fact you reckon you did some Steven Seagal shit and disarmed a player.

Was he

A: a bit special?

B: 10yrs old?

C : Did you wake up clutching a twisted pillow?

I only turned his pistol the other way and pulled the trigger, I think Steven Seagull shit might be a bit of an exaggeration 😂

Yeah, one arm is a VSR, the other is an M4. Skirmishes are very good, but sometimes I have difficulty in airports.

Interesting, mixed thoughts on which player I was, this is fun.

PLOT TWIST Number 2 - you were not a player at all but a marshal! 😱

57 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

I only turned his pistol the other way and pulled the trigger, I think Steven Seagull shit might be a bit of an exaggeration 😂

I'd call that cheating. Well, I think i'd call it cheating. I certainly call it a violation of consent. It's almost the same as as the only time I've ever been made angry in airsoft, when someone turned my muzzle away from them and shot me (at the mall). 

14 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

I'd call that cheating. Well, I think i'd call it cheating. I certainly call it a violation of consent. It's almost the same as as the only time I've ever been made angry in airsoft, when someone turned my muzzle away from them and shot me (at the mall). 

See I wouldn’t consider that cheating at all. Especially a place like the mall. It’s a war game, you consent to the chance of some light simulated melee at close quarters if it’s safe as soon as the game starts.

9 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

See I wouldn’t consider that cheating at all. Especially a place like the mall. It’s a war game, you consent to the chance of some light simulated melee at close quarters if it’s safe as soon as the game starts.

You don't consent to someone touching you/your equipment at all. If someone touches my stuff without me telling them, unless my muzzle is in their face and they don't like that, it's going up their ads and coming out their mouth

• Supporters

Problem I see with being alowed to turn/push/etc other players guns is there airsoft gun not real ones , and as I’m sure we’ve ALL learned to our horror some are made from Chinese Yak snot or some other equally crap material and break with just the gentlest of touches! 😭  

so I for one would not be a happy little bunny if someone grabbed any of my kit in-game and would more than likely let them realise I was displeased with there actions . Savvy ? 

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

That wasn't me was it?

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

That wasn't me was it?

No sir.

1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

Marshals agreed with me. 😛

• Supporters

It’s a war game, you consent to the chance of some light simulated melee at close quarters if it’s safe as soon as the game starts.

Do I?  I didn't think so, but apparently I was mistaken.

I thought the only contact I consented to was being tapped with a rubber knife with the flat side against me? After all, that's all the "physically contact" they write on the disclaimer and explain during safety briefing.

accept that some people may get a bit more physical despite I don't particularly want that in a skirmish day, but that's doesn't mean I gave permission for them to do so.

Personally, I'd find reenacting the knife scene from saving private ryan absolutely hilarious. However I completely agree with the only physical contact verbally consented to being knife melee taps and a light tap on the shoulder. Would never do it myself though, playing catch the assault charge lottery isnt high on my list of priorities.

I am also fully in the camp of player 2. Rules are rules accept responsibility when you decide to make up your own to be nice and it's not reciprocated.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

Marshals agreed with me. 😛

Marshalls obviously a Dick, & I'm pretty sure he'd change his tune if he had to stand up in court & defend that viewpoint, especially if it concerned subsequent abh/gbh/affray type charges, all of which can command hefty custodial sentences.

As for airsoft being a FULL CONTACT sport, is it fuck, take it to any sites insurers & ask them about liability coverage if the site organisers stated that, either verbally or via site pages etc, the insurers would likely withdraw any coverage on the spot.

I played real contact sports professionally, insurance became a necessity in order protect against cases in the event of serious injuries, for both civil & criminal proceedings.

If anybody connected to, or involved with any registered site & encourages or endorses physical contact beyond a pat on the shoulder, they'd be a dumb motherfucker.

@OP, certainly picked a suitable title for this thread, opened a big can of worms.

So, were you player one or player two ?

Archived