Airsoft Argument

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Had my first airsoft argument a last game with another player. In hindsight, I can see a point made from both sides, so I’ll just give you the two sides and not tell you which one was me so you can decide for yourself.

Player 1 perspective: objective is last man standing, attack an area defended by 112 players. I’m on the attacking team which starts with 8 players out of 120 and when we hit a defending team member, they respawn and join the attacking team, and so continues until all the defenders are hit. Currently 10 minute in and theres now about 100 attackers to 20 defenders left. I sneak around the edge of the game area and crawl up behind a defending sniper in a small tower. He doesn’t see me and I don’t want to give away my position so I just tell him from about 10 feet away that he’s dead and should respawn to our team. As I move on past him, he shoots me in the back with his pistol and says he doesn’t care what I told him. I explained I could have rinsed all up his back with my M4 if I wanted but did the sporting thing, saved him the pain and just let him know. It’s only a game after all, I don’t want to be a dick about it. The briefing said no bang rule, just single shot or knife kill when close, but IMO also an element of being a decent player and not pelting someone at point blank just because you can. He did end up calling it in the end, so his shot on me doesn’t count anyway, but there’s no need for him to shoot me in the first place. He should have just seen the gesture and took it in good standing straight away.

Player 2 perspective: objective is last man standing, defend an area against 8 attackers, when we’re hit we join their team. I’ve set up position in a tower and I’m sniping off some people hiding behind a jeep. Someone behind me about 10ft away calls to me and says I’m dead. I think it’s my own team member who saw a shot bounce off me, so I’m about to call it when I see he’s on the attacking team. I ask when he hit me and he says he didn’t, but he could have rinsed me up my back but  just told me instead. He walks past and I draw my pistol and put a shot in his back, he could have single shotted me or knife killed me and we’d have had a laugh and a fist bump, but him just announcing who he does and doesn’t have the opportunity to hit doesn’t constitute an actual hit to me. I did call it in the end because, whenever in doubt call it anyway, but they said in the briefing there was no bang rule, just single shot or knife kill when close. He should have just listened to the rules and taken his hit in good standing anyway.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Being a gentleman, I'm with player one on this, while I have no objections to being shot (otherwise why play airsoft), if its a "dead cert", then its the decent thing to do, irrespective of the site briefing, it is a game after all.

I'm with player two. Bang rule sucks, and 10ft away is too far away to count I would say. Bang only works in my eyes (and the only time I use it) is if you can get a hand on the person (or the muzzle of your gun) 

If I was in player 1's position I would have single shotted the sniper on the least "sore" part I could see. Then there is no denying it. 

• Supporters

Hmmm...

As "no bang rule" was stated, I'd say if you were that close to him either one shot in his backside or a knife kill would have been the right thing to do. You had no need to "rinse him" either way and he would be left in no doubt that he'd been hit.

Personally, with no bang rule as per the brief I'd be tempted to do the exact same as Player 2. 

• Supporters

Whilst I can appreciate a bang rule I think there should be a cutoff point on the distance you can justifiably use it. Point blank? Sure. 10ft? Seems a tad bit far to me. 

One or two shots is plenty and both players know that you got them. Bang rules are messy and can get confusing at times. 

End of the day the rules stated it was not in effect and the player used that to their advantage. Dick move? Perhaps. Next time they'll know to shoot first and apologise after if they dome them. 

I've surrendered many players, and often they don't respond properly and get shot, my personal rule is that if a play doesn't call hit, they're not out. 

Given that 10ft is quite a distance, I'd side with player two. You need to be much closer than that in airsoft. I appreciate you see airsoft as a simulation and thus may attempt to apply real gun theoretical physics, but if a real gun can miss at 10ft an airsoft gun definitely can.

The only time I ever got truly angry with another player was during a pointblank confrontation in which both of us were facing each other around 2 ft and the other player grabbed my muzzle and moved it, and then shot me. Naturally I complained that airsoft is not a contact sport... 

• Supporters

If there's no bang rule then always take a single shot to an area that won't hurt too much, just not worth the risk of them getting you back, or at the very least make sure you see them call a hit before moving on

• Supporters

To be fair, when peeps have had the drop on me & offered a "bang hit", I'm usually like "fuck me, where'd you come from/well done/cheers", but when the roles reversed, they usually hear a whispered "bang bang mate, you taking it", with me looking down my sights at them, thinking back last time I did this, a stroppy twat did say "no bang rule here mate", but halfway between him saying rule & here, my bb hit him in the arse. He yelped, same outcome, so what's the difference ?.

(That was at apocalypse airsoft, a site where I've found many of the regulars believe their own hype, one of the reasons I won't be going back there a 4th time. #nomorechances )

32 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

the other player grabbed my muzzle and moved it, and then shot me. Naturally I complained that airsoft is not a contact sport... 

I'd have grabbed his nose & "moved it", obviously he's been watching too much john wick ?

Edit: during a game my son & I were "captured", fine, ill go with that, then one of them suggests they search us for info, at which point I point out that the first person who puts a hand on my then 11yo son will be visiting a proctologist to get their rifle back.........

We were "released" soon afterwards 😉

Although I understand Player 1's perceptive, game rules were clearly explained and understood by both parties. I've never been a fan of "bang rules" so as others have already said, a single well placed shot removed any contention from the argument. If they object to be shot at from 10ft or under, they should take a moment to consider another hobby.

• Supporters

10ft is a difficult one as I’d say it’s boarder line to call out a player seeing as it’s only two or three more steps and you could knife kill .

No bang rule ? Immaterial to me if someone has got close enough to actually call me out I’ll take it as to me it’s the sporting thing to do even if it’s just to pay the other guy the respect for getting that close without you noticing . AND if your the person doing it you’ve got the added pride in knowing your were able to get that close to an enemy player that you could do it and they’ve basically said “Well done mate , you totally got the drop on me respect !”

As to “if you don’t shoot me I’m gona shoot you cos there’s no bang rule !” All that says to me is your a right bellend and have no grasp of the concept of good sportsmanship , if they’ve done it and you shoot them after they pass ? then to me your an even worse quality of player , we all know the type probably don’t take there hit if they think they can get away with it , hose the shit out of other players unnecessarily AND then scream and bitch if someone does it to them ?

i do notice that Tackles post is the only one to mention the other guy saying “no bang rule mate” ? Funny that , out of all the “I shot him cos there’s no bang rule !” Gods of war how many have actually got the balls (or clitoris) to say so when someone has the drop on them ? 

• Head Moderator

I am with player 2 because player 1 could have missed the shot, been out of BBs, or even had a weapon failure.  A single shot is fine, although a knife kill even better.

• Supporters

If you offer a surrender and they accept then fine if they don't then shoot you that is also fine.

Until a bb leaves the barrel and hits you then it is game on. There is no such thing as a certain kill. 

As for the comment above about a player grabbing your gun that is a no but if they can twist and nudge it off with their body that is fair.

I’ve only ever made the ‘gentleman’ mistake once with the site manager Jamie and Anzio. Night game, in the dark and everyone was trying to kill him. I managed to sneak up to about 10ft and could just about make out his silhouette. Not wanting to get him in the face, I shouted bang. He turned around and laughed as he hoses me down.

Unless I can get close enough to whisper in your ear that you’re dead, you’re getting shot in whatever part of your body is available to me. 

I empathise with you, but it doesn’t pay to be a gentleman in this sport. 

That being said, I’ll happily take it as a kill. I’ve been had crawling through a tunnel, only to be met with a barrel at my head. She asked me if I was dead and I said quite happily that I was. 

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Unless I can get close enough to whisper in your ear that you’re dead, you’re getting shot in whatever part of your body is available to me. 

I empathise with you, but it doesn’t pay to be a gentleman in this sport. 

Lol, if your whispering in my ear, getting shot is the least of my worries 👌💕😚😜

As for gentlemen in the sport, there used to be many, pre the "operator" generation, where sites are half populated by walts with tacticool beards & tribal tats, calling everyone a cnut who "obviously" didn't take their hits 😉.

• Supporters

the bang rule is always a tricky one, my way of working it is if they won't call the hit then they're getting shot, and anything bar them saying hit gets a rinsing.

player 1 should have waited for confirmation of the kill before moving on, although player 2 was a bit of a knob for not taking what was plainly a gentlemanly gesture.

only time i've bang killed without planning on shooting someone was when i had the barrel of my m4 approx 6" from the unmasked gob of my opponent, he took the bang kill but in the time it took i got hit as well, worth it for not injuring someone though. i'm still amazed he didn't know i was there, my m4 is loud and i wasn't exactly being reserved with keeping peoples heads down in my field of fire.

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I’ve only ever made the ‘gentleman’ mistake once with the site manager Jamie and Anzio. Night game, in the dark and everyone was trying to kill him. I managed to sneak up to about 10ft and could just about make out his silhouette. Not wanting to get him in the face, I shouted bang. He turned around and laughed as he hoses me down.

Sorry but if he hosed you then that’s a real dick move and I personally wouldn’t want anything to do with his site if that’s how it run under his command ? 

41 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Lol, if your whispering in my ear, getting shot is the least of my worries 👌💕😚😜

As for gentlemen in the sport, there used to be many, pre the "operator" generation, where sites are half populated by walts with tacticool beards & tribal tats, calling everyone a cnut who "obviously" didn't take their hits 😉.

It was a running joke at our site that if you were good enough to sneak up to someone you should fuck with them and whisper weird shit in their ear. The best one was in the old mill. Guy turned around and saw the enemy but thought it was a teammate so he turned back around. The guy touched him on the shoulder and whispered “I promise I’ll be gentle..” in his ear. Had us laughing for ages. 

28 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Sorry but if he hosed you then that’s a real dick move and I personally wouldn’t want anything to do with his site if that’s how it run under his command ? 

He does play rather aggressively. Not seen him in ages. Think he’s taken a more corporate role in the company. I’ve not got a bad thing to say about how any of the sites I play at are run. Only had two negative experiences and that was with a bunch of speedsofters overkilling everyone and Mattthewanker blatantly cheating. I believe his last game was with me, so I’m taking credit for his retirement 😂

1 hour ago, Jedi_Master said:

I am with player 2 because player 1 could have missed the shot, been out of BBs, or even had a weapon failure.  A single shot is fine, although a knife kill even better.

Heh, I've surrendered players while I was empty. :D

if no bang rule in effect tough luck player 1 player two was right to shoot him. the site i marshal at had issues with bang rule people trying to claim bang from far too far away just went to single shot close range or knife kill so much easier and no grief on who got the drop on who.

• Supporters
27 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

Heh, I've surrendered players while I was empty. :D

did that last game i was at, did a death run with the makarov and took a few pot shots at a chap behind cover till i ran out, so i just called hit because there was no way i was refilling the mag without getting hit anyway.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

The briefing said no bang rule

tl;dr any more.

Sites say no-bang precisely to try and prevent arguments like this.  Player 1 should have taken his actual hit and learned his lesson.  Player 2 should have ratted him out to a marshal for cheat calling, then shagged his girlfriend.

I’m with player 2. 

Personally if if I was player 1 I’d have shot the sniper and moved on. If I’ve got a shot then I’m taking it. 

No bang rule?, just shoot em ! not on full auto , but a double tap seems in order.

Archived