Airsoft Forums UK
Compulsive Reload

G&G firehawk Amplifier Removal, can't find a Allen Key what Fits!!!!!

Got the rail off and now can't seem to get an Allen key what fits the grub screw in the amplifier, wanted to take it off to add a barrel extension plus tracer to use tomorrow but that not going to happen.

According to a YouTube video it may take a 1.25mm key, I have a key which is slightly too small and one whats slightly too big. Tried grinding the large one and ended up too small 😤.

Anyone familiar with this know which key I need and where to get it. 

2 minutes ago, Compulsive Reload said:

Got the rail off and now can't seem to get an Allen key what fits the grub screw in the amplifier, wanted to take it off to add a barrel extension plus tracer to use tomorrow but that not going to happen.

According to a YouTube video it may take a 1.25mm key, I have a key which is slightly too small and one whats slightly too big. Tried grinding the large one and ended up too small 😤.

Anyone familiar with this know which key I need and where to get it. 

Wrap some plumbers tape around it (the allen key not your penis) SUPER TIGHT, keep doing this until the allen key is seated firmly in the nut, then lean on it with all your might and hope to fuck you don't round it out.

26 minutes ago, Duff said:

Wrap some plumbers tape around it (the allen key not your penis) SUPER TIGHT, keep doing this until the allen key is seated firmly in the nut, then lean on it with all your might and hope to fuck you don't round it out.

Don't think I have any tape, and would rather not risk doing that! Its a really stupid sized screw, absolute nuisance really.

1 minute ago, Compulsive Reload said:

Don't think I have any tape, and would rather not risk doing that! Its a really stupid sized screw, absolute nuisance really.

See if any of your neighbours have an allen key set in their man caves?

I have three sets in mine...

2 minutes ago, Duff said:

See if any of your neighbours have an allen key set in their man caves?

I have three sets in mine...

Haha nah can't do that, cheers though. Will try and order a 1.25mm one for next week anyway, if I can that is. 

Maybe an imperial size?

I'd look into that before doing anything that risks rounding it as that's just an absolute nightmare

Hammer a Torx bit in and get on with your life.

Another thing you can do, it's similar to Duff's PTFE tape solution.

Put a piece of rubber band over the hole. Jam the smaller bit in it and the rubber will squodge out and fill in the gap lovely. You'll have it undone in minutes. I had to employ the same method to get my PS4 undone when my son out pennies in the disc drive.

It's the same way you remove stripped screws.

9 hours ago, Robert James said:

Cheers

12 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Another thing you can do, it's similar to Duff's PTFE tape solution.

Put a piece of rubber band over the hole. Jam the smaller bit in it and the rubber will squodge out and fill in the gap lovely. You'll have it undone in minutes. I had to employ the same method to get my PS4 undone when my son out pennies in the disc drive.

It's the same way you remove stripped screws.

Issue is the hole is absolutely tiny, don't think there is enough room to do so, plus haven't even got an elastic band to try :(

38 minutes ago, Compulsive Reload said:

Cheers

Issue is the hole is absolutely tiny, don't think there is enough room to do so, plus haven't even got an elastic band to try :(

.... If you look at the sizes on the image, you may have one that's that size. That's why I was linking the set. I had a firehawk. Honestly that set of Allan keys is one of the best things ive bought for airsoft

No spray paint, no Allen keys and now, no rubber bands.

I could probably reach into the sofa and grab one of the above here..

Do you live in a hospital? 😂

4 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

No spray paint, no Allen keys and now, no rubber bands.

I could probably reach into the sofa and grab one of the above here..

Do you live in a hospital? 😂

Haha might aswell, have plenty of keys but none in this stupid size anyway, as for rubber bands, may be one someone but the "draw" which usually contains everything didn't have any. 

Seems like the screw may be rounded as I tried a 1.5 which apparently fits but was too small, it goes in and hits the sides but just turns round and round.

Elastic band method was unsuccessful. 

16 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Maybe an imperial size?

I'd look into that before doing anything that risks rounding it as that's just an absolute nightmare

May of rounded it as the 1.5mm allen key which supposedly fits was too small, however wasn't a great key. 

IMG_20180708_133538.jpg

IMG_20180708_133551.jpg

IMG_20180708_133510.jpg

IMG_20180708_133533.jpg

IMG_20180708_133501.jpg

Add it to the empty mancave sir, you will need it again within the next 50 years, or not. Best to keep it anyhow.

PS.. you left your lights on! ;)

2 hours ago, Duff said:

Add it to the empty mancave sir, you will need it again within the next 50 years, or not. Best to keep it anyhow.

PS.. you left your lights on! ;)

I most certainly will! 

Ha I did indeed. 

If you get a stuck thread again, one method you can try is tapping the Allen key into the hole with a hammer. The shock does help.

If all else fails, Candlewax. Melt some candle wax into the hole, it’ll work it’s way down the threads and allow it to come out easy. 

Try it if you don’t believe me.