What is it about facebook?

Osiris
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm curious as to why a lot of airsoft groups/teams and sites focus mostly on facebook :( I have been looking around for sites nearish to me and it seems a decent number of them only use facebook, some sites don't even have a basic website. I was looking at Bush Vally Airsoft as an example but its just so difficult to find any basic info on the site using facebook! It seems to make so much more sense to have a good website 

mini rant over, i haven't updated or used my facebook for nearly 10 years and it just seems strange 😂

This pisses me right off, and is the reason I play at first and only sites. I go on the site, I book and pay on it then I turn up. I’m not fucking about messaging people or turning up on the day in the hopes there’s space. 

I wanted to try the kyln in Liverpool but I’ve no clue how to book. 

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

This pisses me right off, and is the reason I play at first and only sites. I go on the site, I book and pay on it then I turn up. I’m not fucking about messaging people or turning up on the day in the hopes there’s space. 

Amen to that, old days you went on they're web page, looked to see what games were planned for maybe 6 months in advance, not expected to click yes/no/maybe interested bullocks, which incidentally is a no-no for many people due to the nature of their dayjobs.

& don't get me started on then finding the post again on another day, having to trawl through a load of inane bs posted by god knows who about god knows what.

But the difference is, liking a post here is often just acknowledgement that you agree with something without having to write it. It’s convenience. 

Its the exact opposite when I want goods or a service. I want to click and pay then have confirmation sent to me. I’ve no interest in turning booking a game into a social exercise.  

It gets me too, as an old fart with no social media and no intention I am fed up of shops/services saying contact us via FB, No you cockwomble I want to speak to a human or send an email..

Even worse when you download a kindle book or order a pizza "Do you want to share to FB" NO!! And if anyone I know ever clicked yes to tell the word they have bought a pizza or a book (I wouldnt know) but I certainly wouldnt care or want to fecking know!!

Websites are easy enough and cheap enough to set up and run, I dont see how hard it can be to maintain and use as the main contact for a site

• Mostly Retired Moderators

If it wasn't for certain things that are Facebook reliant I'd have fucked it off years ago. Been culling friends slowly for a while now. Soon it'll just be my mum and the fit bird from school I wish I had hooked up with.

The problem is that I help run a Facebook based Airsoft page (part of the problem etc) and so need my account in order to work on it. 

Part of the reason i went to Ace Combat Airsoft for my first game :P I can log in check the dates and book online, I can book for multiple people with multiple options (different rentals) and pay a deposit for the guns if a friend or two want to play and i can shut the site down fairly confident the game day wont be cancelled or have to check every day to see if stuff changed. All seems so much easier and simpler than stalking facebook groups 

• Supporters

probably because running and managing a decent internet site costs money and will be much harder for your target audience to find.

i don't like it, but i accept it as a necessary evil to determine when places are going to be open.

People spend more time on social media so reaching out to customers is pretty much instant. Its a smart way of contacting many with minimum effort.

Example: I needed a part for my gun. Asked G&G on Instagram about it as I couldn't find any contact details. Literally right away they mentioned me in a comment and now I have that part on it's way. 

Its just how the world has evolved and this generation wanting everything now at an instant. 

• Supporters
On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:06, L3wisD said:

Soon it'll just be my mum and the fit bird from school I wish I had hooked up with.

Dont you read the news, she was your teacher & apparently its frowned upon 😜

Funnily enough, I'm on a page there called "shed built bikes", or summat like that, all m/cycle builds & renovation, as I'm about to start renovating my old xt (possibly turning it in to a hipster style scrambler), I posted there yesterday for the first time, started with:

"hey guys, great page but I fucking hate Facebook, anybody know where I can find something similar but based in a net based forum"

(like here😁)

So far fb haven't deleted my account or sent predator drones round my house ??? 

4 minutes ago, E21A said:

Is booking on to a skirmish the norm?? Kinda defeats the idea of a “walk-on”? 

Well there’s limited numbers at my local cqb site. I’d be pissed off if I packed everything up, convinced my MRS to leave me alone for a few hours, drove there only to be told they’re full. 

Just now, Wo1f said:

Well there’s limited numbers at my local cqb site. I’d be pissed off if I packed everything up, convinced my MRS to leave me alone for a few hours, drove there only to be told they’re full. 

Mag, CQB sites I understand. I suppose I’m just used to my local that just lets you turn up, had about 300 people there a few weeks back 😂

• Supporters

The only reason I'm even on Failbook is that some airsoft sites insist on using it to disseminate information about events.  Using it is like drunk-vomiting inside my own brain.  The sooner it goes the way of MySpace the better.

• Supporters

I don’t do the social media’s, if I don’t talk to you directly, I don’t care about you. Don’t like it, the fuck I care went that way.

So if you as a site or shop only run through social media, I won’t be using you.  

Dont forget its us, the people/customers, who have caused this issue, if we didn’t flock like the sheep we are, it would have never taken off!

• Supporters

Urgh, you friend/follow someone to get airsoft related news, and BAM, your feed is full of a torrent of fakenews propaganda about animal sentience and the Naylor review that have been debunked over and over and over again, and yet here they are, fresh and new once more.  There must be a better way.

2 hours ago, E21A said:

I tend to book, makes it easier to check in.  But alls the sites I played at today use their own website to book, or their site generates and email to them.

Cheers

G

The only thing I have found good about Facebook is I'm able to keep contact from friends around the globe. Other than that it's a pile og garbage. You open your feed and it's just full of s**t and adverts and it's no longer in cronilogical order. 

15 hours ago, E21A said:

Depends on your definition of ‘walkon’

It could be a walkon day, a walkon player etc

I read walkon as a person with their own gear, and a walkon day as a non rental day.

However for airsoft it looks like the majority of players have their own gear and rentals are a smaller part of the market (though specific sites may vary) in Paintball it’s the other way around, the majority are one off or occasional rental players and those of us with our own gear at walkons or events are the minority of paintball

Walkon can also mean just casually turning up to play with no prior booking etc.  

This however is dependant if the site will really be open or any danger of having too many people.

For a site it’s a matter of making sure they have the necessary stock and staff for the numbers of people likely to turn up 

For airsoft stock they would need BBs and green gas etc, for Paintball though it’s the paintballs that are the main issue with storage.  Along with non gentle guns they also need to survive unknown storage conditions and lengths of time, which means low grade paintballs with tough shells and more regular players won’t like those, so for walkons a better grade will be needed 

Sites can leave it open or take bookings. Either way they are unlikely to turn people away unless they really have to

5 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Depends on your definition of ‘walkon’

It could be a walkon day, a walkon player etc

I read walkon as a person with their own gear, and a walkon day as a non rental day.

However for airsoft it looks like the majority of players have their own gear and rentals are a smaller part of the market (though specific sites may vary) in Paintball it’s the other way around, the majority are one off or occasional rental players and those of us with our own gear at walkons or events are the minority of paintball

Walkon can also mean just casually turning up to play with no prior booking etc.  

This however is dependant if the site will really be open or any danger of having too many people.

For a site it’s a matter of making sure they have the necessary stock and staff for the numbers of people likely to turn up 

For airsoft stock they would need BBs and green gas etc, for Paintball though it’s the paintballs that are the main issue with storage.  Along with non gentle guns they also need to survive unknown storage conditions and lengths of time, which means low grade paintballs with tough shells and more regular players won’t like those, so for walkons a better grade will be needed 

Sites can leave it open or take bookings. Either way they are unlikely to turn people away unless they really have to

The definition of walk on is an event you don’t need to book. 

I play at Stormforce which takes no booking (unless you are renting but this is through an external company)
and it always gets roughly 200 players on  Sunday, and about 150 on a Saturday.

That is quite literally "walk on" but it's a 40 acre site and 200 people can still hide lol
Not enough marshals there though imo, just taking people in to help pay off the cost of setting up I guess.

Every other site I have played at needed prebooking (and some want deposits) for their "walk on" days.

"walk on" is probably just the general term used to describe an event day by site owners without really caring what it means lol.

1 minute ago, Tommikka said:

A definition of walkon is an event you don’t need to book

There are sites that want bookings for walkons

Then surely that wouldn’t be classed as a walk on? 🤔 Doesn’t seem to make sense. 

18 minutes ago, E21A said:

Then surely that wouldn’t be classed as a walk on? 🤔 Doesn’t seem to make sense. 

If a walkon is using one of the other definitions such as a player with their own gear (just walks on rather than turn up, collect gear....) then it does make some sense

Archived