UKARA query

JackGlendinning
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

This may have already been answered but I couldn’t find a definitive thread on it. I’m currently completing my 3 games at a UKARA registered site, in order to obtain a UKARA registration for myself. I plan to buy a RIF to use in games this year,  however I know that next year due to work commitments I may not be able to complete the 3 games and renew the registration. Will my RIF be confiscated after my registration has expired, or will I have to paint it?

Many thanks in advance 

Jack

Do UKARA keep a record of all the RIFs that are sold? 

Also, my 16yr old brother is also after a RIF, but clearly isn’t old enough to even purchase an airsoft gun himself. As a member of a registered site, if I was to purchase two RIFS once I’m registered could he use it on site?

Many thanks again

Jack

Jack... Once you are on the database, you can purchase anything you want - although this is NOT the only form of a defense. 

Depending on the site, you can sometimes ask them to re register you depending on how often you go there. If you leave your gun in your cupboard/wherever you store it, it wont get confiscated. Nobody has the power at UKARA to say, this persons membership has run out, quick go get the guns. Its simply there for retailers so they are not committing a crime. 

Regards your brother, you CANNOT buy one for him until he is 18 ( I think ) however, you can buy as many as you want and give them to people on the day to use, there is no issue with that. 

• Supporters

No UKARA is just a database of site memberships that is used as a proof of defence when purchasing. There is no legal requirement on owning so once purchased you are fine forever.

As for your brother if you buy two guns it is fine for him to use it and you can even give it to him as a gift. It is illegal to sell to someone under 18 so no money can change hands.

• Supporters

@Duff is being somewhat... idiomatic.  As above, once the RIFs are in your possession, you're fine to own them indefinitely and to loan or gift them as you choose.  There's no register of RIFs and as long as you're sensible with them, nobody is ever going to know or care that you own one or many.

Also, my local sites will renew UKARA numbers if you play just one game per year, after the initial registration requirements have been met (3 games over at least 56 days - it has been 56 days since your first game, right?).

Thing is, the whole UKARA system is really just a way of sites telling retailers "Yeah, we know this guy's face."  Since the site itself isn't on the hook for anything, I don't see them arguing the toss over registrations once you've been there for a bit.

You only need to renew if you want to use UKARA as your main defence** and wish to buy new RIFs in the future, otherwise let it run out and carry on using what you already legally own!

I have been a softer for 4/5 years or so I think and only completed my UKARA this year as it comes with site membership which I bought as it means cheaper games...

**UKARA is the easiest defence for online purchasing as a website will not recognise you, your local shop however will know you play and after a while will be satisfied you play as your 'defence' will be your a regular skirmisher/customer.

Its mostly to shop ruffians buying a realistic looking gun and sticking people up/causing a nuisance and risk getting shot by someone with a real one, be it a gangster or a copper!

• Supporters

Given how increasingly anti-gun the UK is, and the hoops we have to go through to get a RIF, it's not an unreasonable question to ask.

• Supporters

I've asked the Home Office / Border Farce how often they access the UKARA database to verify the defence for incoming RIFs.

If the answer is "Whatchyo talkin' bout?" I won't be entirely surprised.

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I've asked the Home Office / Border Farce how often they access the UKARA database to verify the defence for incoming RIFs.

They destroy plenty of stuff coming through customs. I had to provide proof for a stock and receiver that came in from Switzerland. 

If no defence in the crusher it goes and that was only part of a gun.

Also had to jump through hoops on my Krytac that came from the States as the remailer didn't put my UKARA on the outside but on the paperwork inside.

Lots of people reguarly bitch about getting stuff destroyed, internet is littered with stories.

If importing anything, better to have it than not.

I agree with both points, I have managed ok with no UKARA until now, but now I have it ordering online is much easier and I would not attempt to get one imported without one just to be on the safe side as I too have heard/read the stories.

But we all know its a stupid and mostly unforced/unenforceable scheme

On 05/07/2018 at 17:33, Rogerborg said:

I'm 98% certain Borderforce (and certain aspects of Police) have access to it via their own account :) 

Having spoken to HO about another defence scheme, they did confirm they wanted to be able to check records - but didn't necessarily require unrestricted access (ie: a register of users)

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Gtech said:

I'm 98% certain Borderforce (and certain aspects of Police) have access to it via their own account

I'm sure they can access it.  I'm wondering how often they actually do though.

• Head Moderator

This forum can be accessed by the public and I have removed references that could be considered as bringing restricted items past Customs.

Archived