Metal or polymer midcaps

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My G&G GC16 M4 with metal reciever came with a grey metal hicap mag.

I want to buy three midcaps, and G&G do them in polymer and in metal. There's only a couple of quid difference.

Which are more practical and reliable in your opinion. The gun is fairly light so weight isn't a problem. I generally like metal mags, even though they are usually monkey metal. However I know some people prefer polymer, and there must be a reason beside cost.

I suppose I could buy one of each and see for myself.

Or should I not buy G&G M4 mags at all, but get something from another manufacturer? My hicap has a lot of movement in the mag well and needs tape round it.

Your advice would be gratefully received.

• Supporters

If you can afford them I'd recommend some PTS EPM mags, they're not cheap but they're an incredibly tough polymer and very high quality. I use a mix of those and TM metal mags in my recoils. Their old non-recoil mags from Pmags through to their more recent stuff is just as good and my go-to option 

If they're too much then I'd just get the metal g&g mags or similar, they're solid and reliable.

As an alternative to putting tape round mags, have a look at gluing an old credit card or similar to the inside of the magwell, it can work just as well and is a bit neater

Cheap plastic mags have a tendency to split at the seam when dropped. A nice PTS polymer mag won’t, but my brother has broke a couple of plastic mags by dropping them. 

Either metal or a high quality polymer like PTS epm mags will last you a good while. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

Cheap plastic mags have a tendency to split at the seam when dropped. A nice PTS polymer mag won’t, but my brother has broke a couple of plastic mags by dropping them. 

Don’t drop em ? 😇

Nearly all my mags are metal , mid cap stanag’s I swear by classic army , 120’rds and not that expensive (cheapest I’ve found is £12+P&P ) 👍

I have 4 of each personally.

• Supporters

personally i do the cheap plastic ones, because it minimises the ballache when it gets lost/broken/stolen (although saying that i've yet to lose a mag....)

the magpul and other fancy style polymer mags are great for m4 platform guns, but a word of warning that if you're planning to at some point in the future expand your arsenal some guns (the f2000 being a prime example) don't play well with anything bar the "standard" pattern mags.

i'll not reccommend against metal, that's what i'd be running if i weren't such a cheapskate :P

Archived