Plate Carriers - What are they actually for in Airsoft?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Oh i'll confess to not walking all the way back to spawn if its really far

It's much easier if you're not wearing a plate carrier. :P

(Sorry to drag this back on topic, very poor form).

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Head Moderator
On 03/07/2018 at 19:48, sonofsammo said:

Title, I hope says it all...
I can't see the point at all...

44 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

(Sorry to drag this back on topic, very poor form).

I think the point of the plate carrier is simply to move plates without damaging them.  I use these ones at home, have a useful window as well. :P

Plate carrier cloth.jpg

Mostly, I would say cosplay reasons... But they're also very practical, I use mine in CQB only because I run mid-caps on my SMG's, so using it to hold 6 magazines is useful with the added bonus of, if I get pinged Point Blank on the chest it won't hurt like a bitch lol

• Supporters
3 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

However twitchers aren't always cheaters.
It's entirely possible to flinch when you've not been hit, but it's been close.
For example, if it hits the tree right next to your head, you'd flinch. But it wouldn't be a hit. It'd be a "fuck me, that was close!" - Followed by shifting one's arse to better cover.
Or you might actually see it coming, which can happen with heavier BBs, travelling slower. So you'd naturally react to that.
However, those are woodland scenarios.

Very valid argument bud , how many times have we all had a ‘matrix’ moment when for that split second before the hit you see the rounds coming and you just manage to flick your head out of the way ? More than confident there’s a very high chance to the person firing it looked like they tagged you but you didn’t take it ! 👍

6 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Very valid argument bud , how many times have we all had a ‘matrix’ moment when for that split second before the hit you see the rounds coming and you just manage to flick your head out of the way ? More than confident there’s a very high chance to the person firing it looked like they tagged you but you didn’t take it ! 👍

I once had a sniper shot come so close to my ear I heard the BB fly past. I obviously flinched and tried to work out where it came from so I could indicate that it had been a really close shot but not a hit. There's no way the guy didn't think I was cheating though.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I disagree to a degree.
Rubbers = cheaters, for sure. They've felt the hit but not acknowledged it.

To clarify my position even further, my nicknames for these type of cheats has come about partly from me usually being a right sneaky bastard, bedded myself in somewhere, dragged cover over me & taking potshots at anybody coming by, so I'm close enough to see the whites of their eyes lol, as well as their dodgey responses to being hit.

15 minutes ago, Tackle said:

To clarify my position even further, my nicknames for these type of cheats has come about partly from me usually being a right sneaky bastard, bedded myself in somewhere, dragged cover over me & taking potshots at anybody coming by, so I'm close enough to see the whites of their eyes lol, as well as their dodgey responses to being hit.

Ah, then you pull out your special magazine loaded with black bbs, activate your cloaking device and shoot them over and over.

1 hour ago, PopRocket123 said:

I once had a sniper shot come so close to my ear I heard the BB fly past. I obviously flinched and tried to work out where it came from so I could indicate that it had been a really close shot but not a hit. There's no way the guy didn't think I was cheating though.

Move had this twice in quick succession, one past each side! Scared the shit out of me! 😂

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

Ah, then you pull out your special magazine loaded with black bbs, activate your cloaking device and shoot them over and over.

Mate, if their still not taking their hits, i'll break cover & jizz all over 'em, see if they take that ?, & i'll prob "tickle their mums too" lol

secret-tickle-time-ok-mom.jpg

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Jedi_Master said:

I think the point of the plate carrier is simply to move plates without damaging them.  I use these ones at home, have a useful window as well. :P

Plate carrier cloth.jpg

Tit.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I disagree to a degree.
Rubbers = cheaters, for sure. They've felt the hit but not acknowledged it.
It's entirely possible to flinch when you've not been hit, but it's been close.
For example, if it hits the tree right next to your head, you'd flinch. But it wouldn't be a hit. It'd be a "fuck me, that was close!" - Followed by shifting one's arse to better cover.
Or you might actually see it coming, which can happen with heavier BBs, travelling slower. So you'd naturally react to that.
However, those are woodland scenarios.

As an aside, I swapped to tracers in CQB for two reasons:
1) People weren't acknowledging hits, when I'm 100% sure I've hit them. Since swapping to tracers, I get a much higher kill count. And it's easier to tell when peeps are just not calling their hits - For example, when you shoot someone with a thick wool jumper and you see the BBs hit and then roll slowly down the jumper....
2) To stop shooting myself with ricochets.  Yes, yes, I know... It was frustrating, I'd be firing in the dark, in the direction of fire and then I'd get hit. Quite hard. I'd call it. Then after a game of me getting really fucked off, someone on my team watched me and said - stop fucking shooting yourself you div! 

this is why i tend to vocalise something along the lines of "woo that was close" or something like that just to make it clear that it wasn't an actual hit when that happens.

had one a few games back, got lit up by a guy and was saved by a single leaf on a tree branch blocking the fire, so i shouted "the leaf gods have saved me", of course then came the second barrage that hit me.

I would say it's abit of both for most people.. 

Practical point of view is we need something to carry mags etc so why not use what's already available and designed for purpose?

While also it does fit in with the military look that most go for. 

I use a small plate carrier and it works perfectly for what I need. Its light and comfortable, Cheap,easy to get pouches that I need and I can change it about for different equipment needs. 

I carry exactly what I need depending on game length no fake or unnecessary stuff

On 17/07/2018 at 13:55, Adolf Hamster said:

this is why i tend to vocalise something along the lines of "woo that was close" or something like that just to make it clear that it wasn't an actual hit when that happens.

had one a few games back, got lit up by a guy and was saved by a single leaf on a tree branch blocking the fire, so i shouted "the leaf gods have saved me", of course then came the second barrage that hit me.

The leaf gods have saved me😂😂😂

On 16/07/2018 at 18:34, E21A said:

What was you problems with the warrior kit? 

Not or having a dig, genuine interest

Worked well for what it was. 

DCS - bulk and heat. Might just be in my own head (similar to my feelings about kneepads, can't get on with them even nice brands), but I felt restricted in upper body movement. 

Switched to the slimmer Recon, which helped on the restriction aspect but still warm. I was mounting my D3 on the front for mags, until a particularly hot summer day drove me to just run the D3. Didn't go back after that. 

Nowadays, I almost entirely play either limited ammo games (600 rounds) or shorter CQB games. I'm also a player marshal for a site, so I choose to run as light as possible - I've seen too many rounds ping off mag pouches or edges of rigs/PCs to risk it. One video of a tracer coming off my gear, and me playing on without noticing it would be hugely embarrassing for the site. 

Archived