Plate Carriers - What are they actually for in Airsoft?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

But in that scenario but in reverse how many times can you 100% hand on heart say yes I did hit him/her and not ‘think’ you did ? 

Wouldn't call a player on it unless I was a 100%. I expect to be able to point out exactly where the strike was or I don't call it. 

I use tracers at the mall for that reason.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the 'Pro' for plate carriers appears to be that they have just blank Molle so can be customised to suit. 

With that in mind, why a PC over something like the Blackhawk Strike Vest? Cheaper, lighter (so easier to feel hits through and cooler temperature wise), more molle space to use. Imo the existence of molle vests throws PCs purely into the looks/cosplay angle. 

71v4k7N0zoL._SY355_.jpg

14 minutes ago, Smintheus said:

So the 'Pro' for plate carriers appears to be that they have just blank Molle so can be customised to suit. 

With that in mind, why a PC over something like the Blackhawk Strike Vest? Cheaper, lighter (so easier to feel hits through and cooler temperature wise), more molle space to use. Imo the existence of molle vests throws PCs purely into the looks/cosplay angle. 

71v4k7N0zoL._SY355_.jpg

I imagine that considering that covers more than a PC does that it would actually be hotter, not cooler, to play in. 

Edit: would also imagine as it covers the ‘pivot point’ between top and bottom halves of your body that it would restrict movement more as well. 

2 minutes ago, E21A said:

I imagine that considering that covers more than a PC does that it would actually be hotter, not cooler, to play in. 

Edit: would also imagine as it covers the ‘pivot point’ between top and bottom halves of your body that it would restrict movement more as well. 

Picture doesn't show how thin it is - less than an inch. Thinner than most jackets. Having played in both, a plate carrier is both more obstructive and warmer..though the second point might vary depending on what you use as plate replacements. 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Wouldn't call a player on it unless I was a 100%. I expect to be able to point out exactly where the strike was or I don't call it. 

occasionally use tracers at UA as well as some of the dark corridors it helps.......eventually when a Marshall stands there and watches them bounce of non hit takes! ;)

• Supporters

Lost count of the number of times I've been alongside players on my side, stacking up getting ready to move, guy next to me isn't as well hidden as he believes, & I'll say to him "you not taking them then ?", he'll say "what ?" & i'll point out he's been hit, sometimes multiple times, at which point he'll usually call it.

Generally this is a genuine mistake, can only assume adrenaline, rather than heighten awareness, cause some players to zone out & become less aware ?.

Now the "rubbers" & "twitchers", they're a different matter, stone cold cheats who think its ok, burn them mofo's 😈

12 minutes ago, Smintheus said:

Picture doesn't show how thin it is - less than an inch. Thinner than most jackets. Having played in both, a plate carrier is both more obstructive and warmer..though the second point might vary depending on what you use as plate replacements. 

My plate carrier isn’t much more than a inch thick, and a lot of that is meshing to allow air flow. 

Not or sure how less coverage causes more obstruction? 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, E21A said:

My plate carrier isn’t much more than a inch thick, and a lot of that is meshing to allow air flow. 

Think he is mixing up his measurements. There are a few versions of these and they are generally either a thin material or mesh with molle straps across, 3 to 4mm max.

3 minutes ago, E21A said:

Not or sure how less coverage causes more obstruction? 

Individual carriers and setups may vary - I found that anything with any kind of replacement plates in didn't flex, and anything without flapped around. 

8 minutes ago, Smintheus said:

Individual carriers and setups may vary - I found that anything with any kind of replacement plates in didn't flex, and anything without flapped around. 

What have you tried? 

10 minutes ago, E21A said:

What have you tried? 

Both of the main Warrior offerings, a jpc clone, and a couple of different China clones of varying styles. Now much happier with a Haley D3 if I need to carry stuff, or a belt rig if I don't. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Tracer use aside if your 100% sure you’ve hit them (certainly not saying your mistaken) then by this very fact  you have to have been within the range that you’d expect them to feel or hear it so we’re back to non hit taking and there cheating ?

2 hours ago, Smintheus said:

71v4k7N0zoL._SY355_.jpg

Id quite like one of them, but theyre £100+ on eBay. Wheras my cheap chinese plate carrier was £25 and came with several pouches free :P 

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Tracer use aside if your 100% sure you’ve hit them (certainly not saying your mistaken) then by this very fact  you have to have been within the range that you’d expect them to feel or hear it so we’re back to non hit taking and there cheating ?

Not really. In a place like the mall it is amazingly easy to not hear it with all the background noise and if you clip the right place they will not always feels it. Players also get caught up in the adrenaline rush so not always as observant as they would be in a slower game. I myself have caught ones I have not realised until a player points it out.

Experience has taught me it is not always clear cut which is why I don't go down the route of slagging off players on an assumption.

Woodland you would generally get less of it but even so a small light weight bb hitting the wrong part can still be missed.

2 hours ago, Smintheus said:

Both of the main Warrior offerings, a jpc clone, and a couple of different China clones of varying styles. Now much happier with a Haley D3 if I need to carry stuff, or a belt rig if I don't. 

What was you problems with the warrior kit? 

Not or having a dig, genuine interest

4 hours ago, Tackle said:

"rubbers" & "twitchers", they're a different matter 

Not heard these terms used before... Can you define?

41 minutes ago, Seven said:

Referring to people that consciously and unconsciously acknowledge their hits by body movement (such as flinching or rubbing the impact site) but make no game related indication that they're hit.

That is to say, people that don't call their hits are in two obvious categories - those which flinch, and those which don't, the former cannot be innocent...

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

Referring to people that consciously and unconsciously acknowledge their hits by body movement (such as flinching or rubbing the impact site) but make no game related indication that they're hit.

That is to say, people that don't call their hits are in two obvious categories - those which flinch, and those which don't, the former cannot be innocent...

oh boy, reminds me of a game with an older gent who plainly didn't feel like walking back to spawn would be good for his arthritis so he just kept ignoring hits.

after i pelted him in the face a few times he decided it'd be better if he at least tried to get behind cover so he did, but plainly didn't realise the top of his noggin was visible through a fire hole designed presumably for someone around 7' tall.

so from my perspective it's blam blam blam blam *head dissappears suddenly*, yep got him.....

you do wonder why folk bother, do they think we can't see them or summat? it's the same story with a lot of shots where they can't see you, they flinch, look around, and move on as if the guy that hit them isn't sitting in a bush watching it happen.

• Supporters
42 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

oh boy, reminds me of a game with an older gent who plainly didn't feel like walking back to spawn would be good for his arthritis so he just kept ignoring hits.

Must admit when my numerous ‘knackered’ bits start playing me up I do on occasion not always go all the way back to re-spawn , but what I will do is take my self out of the game area find a spot out of sight (as much so I can’t see what’s going on as any thing) then wait for a less broken team member to head back , wait for there return from re-spawn then once they’ve past me I’ll then head back in , but as I put my self out of sight I’m not going to know how any things changed in the game like the other returning players .

if it’s a ‘how many dead players game with a tally counter at the re-spawn then I will drag my sorry arse back unless I meet a mate along the way then I’ll do the same again but ask them to click me in to register my ‘death’ as well . 👍

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Must admit when my numerous ‘knackered’ bits start playing me up I do on occasion not always go all the way back to re-spawn , but what I will do is take my self out of the game area find a spot out of sight (as much so I can’t see what’s going on as any thing) then wait for a less broken team member to head back , wait for there return from re-spawn then once they’ve past me I’ll then head back in , but as I put my self out of sight I’m not going to know how any things changed in the game like the other returning players .

if it’s a ‘how many dead players game with a tally counter at the re-spawn then I will drag my sorry arse back unless I meet a mate along the way then I’ll do the same again but ask them to click me in to register my ‘death’ as well . 👍

Oh i'll confess to not walking all the way back to spawn if its really far, if i'm doing that i pull back out of the action and wait the time i roughly (but realistically) would take to walk all the way back to spawn and return.

However thats not the same as not taking the hit in the first place, and its purely to save energy (read: i'm a lazy sod). Although you do see some folk who take the mick and will "respawn" in about 10s when the spawn is a minutes good jog away.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Oh i'll confess to not walking all the way back to spawn if its really far, if i'm doing that i pull back out of the action and wait the time i roughly (but realistically) would take to walk all the way back to spawn and return.

However thats not the same as not taking the hit in the first place, and its purely to save energy (read: i'm a lazy sod). Although you do see some folk who take the mick and will "respawn" in about 10s when the spawn is a minutes good jog away.

Yes if anyones going to be pedantic over ‘rules is rules’ it’s cheating but if you wait (not a 10sec re-spawn🤦‍♂️)  the amount of time it would take then I don’t think your causing any harm to the game , plus if I see a marshal as I’m recouping my rapidly dissipating energy I’ll tell them what I’m doing and I’ve never encountered any problems over it . 

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Yes if anyones going to be pedantic over ‘rules is rules’ it’s cheating but if you wait (not a 10sec re-spawn🤦‍♂️)  the amount of time it would take then I don’t think your causing any harm to the game , plus if I see a marshal as I’m recouping my rapidly dissipating energy I’ll tell them what I’m doing and I’ve never encountered any problems over it . 

Me neither, i've occasionally had to explain to team mates why i'm standing about randomly and not getting into the fight but nobody's complained.

As with all things in this game its about being reasonable and not taking the mick.

9 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

I disagree to a degree.
Rubbers = cheaters, for sure. They've felt the hit but not acknowledged it.
However twitchers aren't always cheaters.
It's entirely possible to flinch when you've not been hit, but it's been close.
For example, if it hits the tree right next to your head, you'd flinch. But it wouldn't be a hit. It'd be a "fuck me, that was close!" - Followed by shifting one's arse to better cover.
Or you might actually see it coming, which can happen with heavier BBs, travelling slower. So you'd naturally react to that.
However, those are woodland scenarios.

As an aside, I swapped to tracers in CQB for two reasons:
1) People weren't acknowledging hits, when I'm 100% sure I've hit them. Since swapping to tracers, I get a much higher kill count. And it's easier to tell when peeps are just not calling their hits - For example, when you shoot someone with a thick wool jumper and you see the BBs hit and then roll slowly down the jumper....
2) To stop shooting myself with ricochets.  Yes, yes, I know... It was frustrating, I'd be firing in the dark, in the direction of fire and then I'd get hit. Quite hard. I'd call it. Then after a game of me getting really fucked off, someone on my team watched me and said - stop fucking shooting yourself you div! 

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

I disagree to a degree.
Rubbers = cheaters, for sure. They've felt the hit but not acknowledged it.
However twitchers aren't always cheaters.
It's entirely possible to flinch when you've not been hit, but it's been close.
For example, if it hits the tree right next to your head, you'd flinch. But it wouldn't be a hit. It'd be a "fuck me, that was close!" - Followed by shifting one's arse to better cover.

Or you might actually see it coming, which can happen with heavier BBs, travelling slower. So you'd naturally react to that.
However, those are woodland scenarios.

I was just explaining what I thought the other guy meant. If my words are clearly read then I'm talking from the perspective of the hit player and not an observer, which means that if a player is not hit and flinches they cannot be included because they wouldn't be acting reflexively.

I believe a reflexive action is much more recognisable than a conscious attempt to avoid because the initial reflex (or twitch) rarely involves actually getting out the the way.

That said, I otherwise agree with you.

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

As an aside, I swapped to tracers in CQB for two reasons:
1) People weren't acknowledging hits, when I'm 100% sure I've hit them. Since swapping to tracers, I get a much higher kill count. And it's easier to tell when peeps are just not calling their hits - For example, when you shoot someone with a thick wool jumper and you see the BBs hit and then roll slowly down the jumper....
2) To stop shooting myself with ricochets.  Yes, yes, I know... It was frustrating, I'd be firing in the dark, in the direction of fire and then I'd get hit. Quite hard. I'd call it. Then after a game of me getting really fucked off, someone on my team watched me and said - stop fucking shooting yourself you div! 

I once got a tracer BB inside my DyeI4, in the area with my eyes, I was certain I had fired it, but that was just weird. :)

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Seven said:

They're not an "official" term, more a nickname.

12 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

Sacarathe has it 100%, as he has kindly explained, these are the actions of cheats who react to the bb strike, prob because it stung a little, but don't call a hit, they usually then try to find better cover, as if the first hits don't count.

Personally, I've never not taken a hit, even the pain-in-the-arse-shot-in-the-back-from-a-teammate-hit, the one that happens 60seconds after the whistle has blown &I've dashed forward in to cover to await the attacking enemy, & then scream at the teammate whos shot me in the back "why the puck would the attacking team be facing away from you, you dopey bastard"

Lol, we've all been there😜

Archived