Plate Carriers - What are they actually for in Airsoft?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Lol, we're airsofters, we're always trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, be too easy just to swig water when needed 😜

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters
51 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Lol, we're airsofters, we're always trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, be too easy just to swig water when needed 😜

i do wonder how long before real military innovation will come from airsofters being too damn lazy to do something normally :P

15 hours ago, Druid799 said:

This time of yr if it actually is hot and sunny 😉 I go for a cotton bodied UBACS (holds some of the sweat so cools me down nicely) I’ve got a couple of different camo pattern Frog ones lovey bits of kit .

Short length Light weight plate carrier , no side plates pouches , cummerbund or anything just two straps , hydro on the back couple of mag pouches and away to go ! As to keeping your self hydrated one thing that drives me demented on hot days is all the players I see chugging down cans of monster/Red Bull/etc , those poxy things will f**k you up big time on hot days ! Recently I’ve been seeing a definite spike in admissions in work (A&E ) down to those drinks , when your hot and sweaty your pulse rate is already increasing due dehydration , what you need is plain old H2O NOT something that’s full of caffeine and is going to increase your heart rate even more , but will they be told ? Nope not a chance no matter how nicely I try to inform them of the dangers they know best !🤦‍♂️

then the thing that really pisses me off is hr or two late I have marshaling staff come over and asking for help/advise because the very same players have now come back to the safezone feeling like shit and I’m loosing my game time helping the players out who got in to this state because they wouldn’t take telling ! 😡 

so children if it’s hot as hell please leave the ‘energy’ drinks alone and just drink water .👍😁

My wife gave me a few rehydration tablets last time I went for a Skirmish.  She uses them when running.

I was drink loads of water, had a 3L hydration bladder, and I still felt like crap when I got home and was running a temp of 37.5, I'm normally about 36.4.

This guy was looking about ready to pass out, and didn't want to drink anything, dressed in full kit with JPC helmet the works.

G

Those plates seem overkill. I very highly doubt you could freeze tour internal organs whilst skirmishing mate lmfao maybe if deployed but yeah.... anyway £45? Yeah fuck that prefer £3 freezer blocks I can replace at a supermarket. Not everything has to be bespoke....

Today I played with two picnic sized freezer blocks in my pack and filled my bladder with ice and cordial. It was good. Scratch that... it was Devine. Remained pretty cool until last few games when they'd essentially defrosted but I will be doing this again. I placed two in the back with the bladder and it also kept my lunch that was in a compartment nice and cold.

• Moderators

Do all these people who drink ‘energy drinks’ like monster, redbull etc also wear black / dark clothing. Married to a science teacher she told me off the other day when I was gonna wear a black ubacs for half day game!!... google it as I can’t explain it while on phone, to much to type :lol::lol:

• Supporters

Is the first sentence a question?  If so I'd say there's a correlation based on my own observations.  But I'm not going to attach the word I'd like to that correlation because it'll upset a few people here for sure.

The energy drink thing - I can't help but feel that if you're not drinking it regularly anyway (bad move ofc) then some folks think it's literally real life PUBG or something equally absurd.  As if you'll actually physically perform better over a period of time longer than maybe 3 minutes.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Duff said:

I very highly doubt you could freeze tour internal organs whilst skirmishing mate lmfao

Lol, only you could take it literally, course your not going to freeze your insides, BUT tissue damage & possible shock is a risk, its not like your average airsofter is at his peak fitnesswise.

As has already been said, can't beat a bit of water, maybe "jujj" it up with ice cubes & some funky cold Ribena

C57NrQtUwAAqg0W.jpg

Wow, so much hate for the plate carriers. Time to untwist those panties :P

I love my PC, because unlike fixed "assault vests" I can put whatever I want on it, and change it as needed. Fancy a chest holster that day? No problem. A few extra grenades instead? Got it. Using a gun that uses larger mags than the common M4 mags on most vests? Pouches for days fam. 

That being said I do run a MOLLE belt rig for hot summer days because otherwise I boil up and die in a PC. 

Its really obvious when youve been hit, PC or no PC, you can still feel the impact and hear the THWACK of the hit. Anyone saying they "didnt feel it" because of the carrier is a cheating prick and even if they werent wearing a plate carrier would find another excuse why they didnt feel it. "oh it hit a mag pouch with a mag in it" - "oh it hit the thick strap" - "oh a leaf landed on me and deflected it so I didnt feel it". Dont hate the PC, hate the player :D

• Supporters
43 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

Its really obvious when youve been hit, PC or no PC, you can still feel the impact and hear the THWACK of the hit. Anyone saying they "didnt feel it" because of the carrier is a cheating prick and even if they werent wearing a plate carrier would find another excuse why they didnt feel it. "oh it hit a mag pouch with a mag in it" - "oh it hit the thick strap" - "oh a leaf landed on me and deflected it so I didnt feel it". Dont hate the PC, hate the player :D

Totally untrue.

In a woodland enviroment where it is easy to hear impacts then PCs and gear are not so much a huge problem. But in CQB they are an issue as the generally much higher background noise covers a lot. The whole CQB enviroment and playstyle makes it easier for players to miss a hit in the general commotion.

Every player gets the odd one they just don't know about and those that claim they always know and it doesn't happen to them are the biggest problem. Most players when called out on a hit just go sorry and take it but the living in denial crowd are the ones who always argue. I would rather deal with an actual cheat than one of those.

I have shot loads of people who were oblivious and have probably caught enough that I haven't realised to ever take the attitude of calling them cheating pricks.  Players who behave and think like that and just cheat call are the worst sorts on any field.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Tiercel said:

Wow, so much hate for the plate carriers. Time to untwist those panties :P

I love my PC, because unlike fixed "assault vests" I can put whatever I want on it, and change it as needed. Fancy a chest holster that day? No problem. A few extra grenades instead? Got it. Using a gun that uses larger mags than the common M4 mags on most vests? Pouches for days fam. 

That being said I do run a MOLLE belt rig for hot summer days because otherwise I boil up and die in a PC. 

Spot on mate with you 100% 👍

6 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

But in CQB they are an issue as the generally much higher background noise covers a lot. The whole CQB enviroment and playstyle makes it easier for players to miss a hit in the general commotion.

In my experience this isn’t the case, I’ve played CQB in my PC with no issues at all. Anyone one claims this is just cheating 

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, E21A said:

In my experience this isn’t the case, I’ve played CQB in my PC with no issues at all. Anyone one claims this is just cheating 

No they are not.

I play CQB several times a month and have had to call out even the most honest players for a hit on gear that they haven't noticed. 

You say you have not had an issue but if you didn't feel it or hear it how would you know. The big issue is players who have this belief that they always know and believe so do others. 

In my experience very few airsofters maliciously cheat but lots get on their high horse instead of looking at the reality of the situation. Some days I have to point out to at least a dozen people they have been hit but rarely do I ever even think someone is cheating.  

All the biggest confrontations I have ever had are with those that harbour this self belief that they always know. Whether it is them taking the hit or accusing others.

From a marshals point of view players who accuse others of cheating are ten times more common than cheats.  More of a problem too.

50 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

No they are not.

I play CQB several times a month and have had to call out even the most honest players for a hit on gear that they haven't noticed. 

You say you have not had an issue but if you didn't feel it or hear it how would you know. The big issue is players who have this belief that they always know and believe so do others. 

Well considering, just yesterday, I noticed what can only have been a ricochet hit on the back of my PC (would have had more force if it had been thrown) I think i’ll be ok. Also if you don’t someone doesn’t notice the first hit you can be pretty sure they’ll notice the rest. Unless from a sniper, I’ve never been hit with just a single shot. 

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, E21A said:

Well considering, just yesterday, I noticed what can only have been a ricochet hit on the back of my PC (would have had more force if it had been thrown) I think i’ll be ok. Also if you don’t someone doesn’t notice the first hit you can be pretty sure they’ll notice the rest. Unless from a sniper, I’ve never been hit with just a single shot. 

Because you notice one doesn't mean you will notice all. That is the point you can't call the ones you don't know and there will be ones you don't know. 

As for being hit once yeah reguarly see it, players running or ducking behind cover it happens all the time.

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Because you notice one doesn't mean you will notice all. That is the point you can't call the ones you don't know and there will be ones you don't know. 

As for being hit once yeah reguarly see it, players running or ducking behind cover it happens all the time.

Sorry, forgot you’re the all knowing god of Airsoft. Apologies 

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, E21A said:

Sorry, forgot you’re the all knowing god of Airsoft. Apologies 

If he's omniscient, at least he'll know when he's been hit.

17 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

That is fair but doesn't work when people are already moving or pop firing.

I take your point there, but that could be true of gun hits, or if hit on the boot or belt or any others piece of kit. I don’t think this a PC issue, it’s a general issue 

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, E21A said:

I take your point there, but that could be true of gun hits, or if hit on the boot or belt or any others piece of kit. I don’t think this a PC issue, it’s a general issue 

Never said it wasn't an issue with all gear my response was to the sentiment that players always know when they are hit and those that dont call are just "cheating pricks".

I specifically pointed out that hits on any gear are easy to miss. 

My issue isn't with plate carriers it is with the attitude of players who won't accept that some hits are not called because of mistakes not cheating. 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

That is fair but doesn't work when people are already moving or pop firing.

But in that scenario but in reverse how many times can you 100% hand on heart say yes I did hit him/her and not ‘think’ you did ? 

Funny thing I when I was at Absolute.  Was standing against a short wall, this guy started shooting at me.  BBs falling less than a metre in front of me, but they dropped sharply, from where he was I'm sure he must have thought I was the biggest cheater ever. He probably shot at least 20 at me.

I did stay too long, one eventually hit the toe of my boot and I took the hit 😉

In hindsight I should have gone to the other side of the wall, but seemed a bit sureal at the time.

Cheers

G

Archived