Plate Carriers - What are they actually for in Airsoft?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, MisterG said:

I can't feel the hits against my Osprey vest, but I can easily hear them. 

If you were taking hits that you could neither feel nor hear, how would you know? 🤔

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If you were taking hits that you could neither feel nor hear, how would you know? 🤔

He says he can hear them, Roger.

Old age gettin to ya mate?

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Wo1f said:

@AshOnSnow that’s perfect, I’ll give that a go. Did yours come with the fake plastic plates? I’m sure my WAS is foam, but I’ve got plastic in a Taiwan gun PC. I’ll test fit it later. 

yeah WAS ones are foam, my CPCs have them as does my DCS, mainly used for 'packing/shipping' i was told to keep the product flat

I just remove them as to most of us there not needed in game as helps with over heating!

going back a bit to OP,  ive also got the 901 chest rigs with back panel, holds 4 mags, i put spare two in a pouch and carry BBs in the other and some snacky food!.....does the job :lol:

With the DCS, it holds 3 mags although ive some spare pouches on side, but also 4 grenade ones, radio pouch and utility one, just good to take stuff with you instead of taking rucksack....

just gotta attach pistol holster now!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Duff said:

Old age gettin to ya mate?

My hearing is perfect: I can hear 100% of the things that I can hear.

15 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

My hearing is perfect: I can hear 100% of the things that I can hear.

I still hear colours from that one time I bodyslammed face first into the rear of a Citroen!

11 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Ha! If only. Harder requirements than many SF. Then again, that’s because of the corrupt government contracts from the tories cashing in on getting paid for every recruit they test and fail.

We on about the same RAF, where they think slumming it on exercise is a B&B ha ha

Guest pierce09
1 hour ago, Keldon said:

We on about the same RAF, where they think slumming it on exercise is a B&B ha ha

Always carefully chose which side of the careers office you visit. You can either dig in or check in! 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, pierce09 said:

Always carefully chose which side of the careers office you visit. You can either dig in or check in! 

If I bring a bottle of Malibu and some hot-pants, do I get waved through to the Navy recruiter?

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

If I bring a bottle of Malibu and some hot-pants, do I get waved through to the Navy recruiter?

Just come wearing a bread and they will know you want the navy

I mostly like the platecarrier because when mated with a sling it distributes the weight of the gun far more effectively than just a sling. That being said, CQB is much easier with just a Tshirt.

• Supporters

The army were told “secure that building!” So they surrounded it and methodically cleared it room by room untill it was secured .

the marines were told “secure that building!” So they kicked in the front door and ran through the building lobbing grenades in to every room followed by a magazine of rounds to secure it .

the navy were told “secure that building!” So they went in , switched all the lights off and made sure all the windows and doors were locked .

the RAF were told “secure that building!” So they took out a 6mth lease with an option to buy ! 

Reasons for a plate carrier? 

Carrying stuff comfortably. Mainly. 

Plus they generally look great and are essential if you're going down an 'impression' route. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Dentonboy said:

Reasons for a plate carrier? 

Carrying stuff comfortably. Mainly. 

Plus they generally look great and are essential if you're going down an 'impression' route. 

i'd argue against the use of the term "comfortably" after any significant amount of time, especially if it's covered in heavy kit.

15 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'd argue against the use of the term "comfortably" after any significant amount of time, especially if it's covered in heavy kit.

If fitted correctly the load bearing aspect of it should not impact the wearer. If its loaded correctly and still hurting you, your posture is shit.

This comes from years of experience wearing chain mail. As long as you got a good belt, the chain mail weight carried is a fraction of what it actually weighs. I had a home made piece, nickel plated 6mm rings that took me a summer to knit (wirh pliers) and weighed about 12 kilos. I wore it all day every day over a four day weekend and was fine. Why do I need to wear real chainmail at a LARP event? Cos you gotta seperate the hardasses from the nerds. ;)

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, Duff said:

Why do I need to wear real chainmail at a LARP event? Cos you gotta seperate the hardasses from the nerds. ;)

You knew it was coming Duffy😜

th.jpg

The stiffness of the “plate” distributes the weight of what you’re carrying more evenly across the surface because it’s rigid. Whereas you can feel the location of a particularly heavy pouch on a chest rig/ assault vest. 

3 minutes ago, Tackle said:

You knew it was coming Duffy😜

th.jpg

I wish I had some of the photos from events back in the day, it was before the internet was big. This guy is wearing far too much gear. I once spent an entire weekend with my balls painted brown cos they kept popping out of my pants and showing when people looked up my leather skirt.

• Supporters

Duff, you know that point when something in your head tells you you should stop describing things in greater detail?

Might be an idea to listen ;)

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Duff, you know that point when something in your head tells you you should stop describing things in greater detail?

Might be an idea to listen ;)

Never. I wouldn't be me if I did that. And I like being me.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

as others have said a properly fitted and loaded one you shouldn’t really notice it , I can try and spin it all I want (big boned,a bit husky,etc)but I’m a fat f**k and when I set up a carrier properly no probs at all no bouncing around , riding up or excessive movement , yes you are going to get some movement unless you payed stupid money for a real crye or something like that with the anti slip stuff on the inside (I may be a bit touched in the head but not THAT touched !) but if it’s done right shouldn’t be any problems with it .  

Also you do need to remember if you don’t have any ‘armour’ in it it is going to move or the kit’ll dig in as it was designed to be used with them and not without the plates in it . 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Duff said:

6mm rings

I made a 6mm byrnie, and was glad to sell it on to some other mug.  It's practically solid metal.

Pop-psychology observation: you feel safer when wearing armour.  Even when you're not actually in real danger (40-Mikes aside), it produces (unwarranted) confidence and likely more aggressive play.  That's not a criticism or a judgement in any way, just throwing it out there as a point to ponder.

This issue of stuff bouncing around when you run... how much are folk really running around when playing airsoft?

I reckon over a full day I spend maybe a few minutes running, tops.  The rest is walking, crouching, skulking, and assorted mooching around.

As an unfit 31 year old fatish dude (5ft 10 circa 16 stone) I was running this last sunday https://www.amazon.co.uk/OneTigris-Advanced-Tactical-Paintball-Multicam/dp/B06XP6HGG2 and felt fine in the heat. Having worn tool belts at work i find them a lot less comfortable than wearing something on the chest plus i just like the look of it :D it might look silly but i plan to lose weight so it looks less silly! And its pretty handy to hold my larget Scar H mags 

Some interesting stuff in there - thanks guys!
I'm tempted by a vest of some description, but due to my excessive girth, have steered away from them.
The point of my original question was to help me figure out why I want one, even in the face of logic to the contrary.
Part of why I want one is I like the ability to mount a pistol.
I also like the ability to attach a single point to the vest - and when I first bought a rig, this is what I was after.
So, in view of the fact I possibly want one more than ever, I'm after some more advice please!

I run a few different setups, depending on what I'm playing.
For CQB, I just run either pistols or vector/arp - I just carry them and nowt else.
Woodland I have a few different set ups:

MWS + 5 mags + pistol + 2 mags + xxl speedloader + multitool
Vector / Arp 9 + 4 mags + pistol + 2 mags + xxl speedloader

I'm using a battle belt at the moment, with assorted pouches - but it's not really floating my boat.
And the viper chest rig I have cripples my shoulders / back when I'm using the MWS....

suggestions please:
I need something that will help distribute the load / give me easy access to it / will fit me (50" chest and, sadly, matching belly) / is comfortable and can be worn all day.....
 See, I don't want much.... 😁

On 03/07/2018 at 21:27, Polluxtroy69 said:

Not needed for anything if you run hi caps... 

I often do this when it’s to hot, just take a hicap and nothing else 

as everyone has mentioned I’ve never not noticed a hit to my carrier

Archived