Plate Carriers - What are they actually for in Airsoft?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

pain is an old friend , just crack on ! 😉

16lykk.jpg

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters
3 hours ago, Tackle said:

Its actually really good, no movement at all, prob helped by the fact I run 4 TacTailor short 7.62 mag shingles on it, they technically are a smidge wider than 2 molle rows, but I squeeze 4 pouches on 8 rows of molle, this gives the rig a "figure hugging" curve & rigidity, they work with m4 & m14 mags, plus I run an inverted serpa & leaves room for 1 last m4 shingle with a twin pistol mag on top of it, which is just above my left hip, as a super lightweight non restrictive set up I've found nothing better.

Talk to gazmeister, he's copied it & I believe he's loving it.

Edit: heres pic of gaz's, couldn't find one of mine, will have a hunt around

image.jpg

Heres a crape old pic of mine, squinting at it I can see its got all m4 shingles, changed to the 7.62 shorter shingles since, works even betterer 😜

where'd you get the bandolier? i've been contemplating that a bandolier might be a nice way of mag carrying for my russian loadout (which is aimed at being ultra lightweight so if i need to go heavier i can keep the lot on and grab the mg)

would be nice as i'm running it on a hicap atm which is the work of the devil.....

• Supporters

Mine came from ebaybanned at least 12 years ago, good copy of a discontinued Blackhawk one, only one I've seen that looks close to it is this one, dirt cheap on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Airsoft-Molle-Chest-Rig-OTS-Platform-6-Colors-BK-CP-TAN-BROWN/111655596183?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=410666840751&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I think its the one gazmeister has & I believe he's very happy with it.

Hope that helps.

Mark

• Supporters

I like a plate carrier , but as others have said there prone to getting over loaded (we’ve all been there , there’s space I’m filling it ! 🤦‍♂️) SO back beginning of the yr I was looking around for a small light weight one and I came across this one on TaiwanGun , bought it , it arrived was very impressed with the quality for the price and since then I’ve bought 4 more in different colours , and if you get some of the pouches aswell you can put together a nice little carrier for under 30 quid ! Now don’t get me wrong this ain’t no Blackhawk! Rig ! 😉 BUT for the price I think there an excellent purchase and as plenty have said “you don’t need ballistic in Airsoft !” 😂😂

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/plate-carriers/simple-plate-carrier-with-dummy-soft-armor-inserts-black-8fields?from=listing&campaign-id=19

Molle space. And extra weight if like me you make good use of airsoft as fun fitness training - I filled hollow dummy plates with concrete and put them in when I’m playing the ridge. Started when I was training for RAF, but when that didn’t work out, I just carried on. Great workout on the thighs. I need a carrier rather than a rig anyway since I like to carry my pistol and radio on my chest, so a wide carrier works really well.

I get why people wear them. Realistic look etc.

For some people, looking the business is just as, if not more, important as playing the game, especially in the hardcore milsim circles.

But, from a relative outsiders opinion, I think if they have thick padding foam or hard plastic inserts that stop you feeling hits then they need to be removed for play and inserted for photos.

Again, im an outsider going to play my first game day this Sunday so feel free to educate me, but im dreading the day someone's BB hits me somewhere and I don't see, hear or feel it. I'll feel shite.

Some people don't share my concern though... Cest la vie!

24 minutes ago, Seven said:

But, from a relative outsiders opinion, I think if they have thick padding foam or hard plastic inserts that stop you feeling hits then they need to be removed for play and inserted for photos.

Ah so naive, yet to encounter the oh so common I didn't feel it plate carrier twat 😂

I can't feel the hits against my Osprey vest, but I can easily hear them. 

I enjoy wearing it when it is less than 10 degrees out, keeps me warm enough, provides good lumbar support, and has loads of pouches and takes the weight of the sling.

And matches the rest of the outfit 😉

Cheers

G

49 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Molle space. And extra weight if like me you make good use of airsoft as fun fitness training - I filled hollow dummy plates with concrete and put them in when I’m playing the ridge. Started when I was training for RAF, but when that didn’t work out, I just carried on. Great workout on the thighs. I need a carrier rather than a rig anyway since I like to carry my pistol and radio on my chest, so a wide carrier works really well.

Concrete? I mean... nah I got nothin' man...🤔

37 minutes ago, Seven said:

I get why people wear them. Realistic look etc.

For some people, looking the business is just as, if not more, important as playing the game, especially in the hardcore milsim circles.

They do have a certain look and even when I swore blind I wouldn't become a geardo I now have a spare room full of this shit!

I removed my plates cos they made taking it on and off awkward. (I put it on like a pullover, as I am too lazy to pull all the velcro apart to put it on and off) I was going to put some bedroll inserts in but I think I'll just run it empty. I have mags and a pistol and a hydration bladder rigged on it so it has enough weight not to flap all up in my face like yer grannies tittays!

I never thought of filling the fake ones with concrete. I was gonna cut some out of metal plate. Hmm..

12 minutes ago, Duff said:

Concrete? I mean... nah I got nothin' man...🤔

They do have a certain look and even when I swore blind I wouldn't become a geardo I now have a spare room full of this shit!

I removed my plates cos they made taking it on and off awkward. (I put it on like a pullover, as I am too lazy to pull all the velcro apart to put it on and off) I was going to put some bedroll inserts in but I think I'll just run it empty. I have mags and a pistol and a hydration bladder rigged on it so it has enough weight not to flap all up in my face like yer grannies tittays!

Well im not paying £150 for the proper weighted training ones.

£15 for hollow plastic ones, cut a hole in the top and fill it with some concrete from a pack of 40N for a fiver, done and dusted.

14 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I never thought of filling the fake ones with concrete. I was gonna cut some out of metal plate. Hmm..

Wait... are you guys seriously filling your plates with concrete?

20 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I thouhht about the metal thing - cutting is easy, but the tricky part is getting the curve, even trickier doing a multicurved one. Hammering copper is too uneven. Iron is still soft enough, but again difficult to get symmetrical. Steel too hard, aluminium too light. Much easier to fill an existing hard accurate shell with something solid. A liquid that will fill up perfectly and then harden into a heavy substance is perfect. Hence, I went with concrete. 40N to reduce the chance of it cracking in case I fell on it because, it is still quite thin when inside. Overfill it so it comes out the top slightly, then chisel/sand off the top at the end. That way it sits absolutely tight inside. Shake and vibrate it (use your NSFW imagination) periodically to remove any air pockets.

4 minutes ago, Duff said:

Wait... are you guys seriously filling your plates with concrete?

It’s certainly not for everyone, but I like the exercise part of it. Offsets all the pizzas I eat 😂😂

@AshOnSnow that’s perfect, I’ll give that a go. Did yours come with the fake plastic plates? I’m sure my WAS is foam, but I’ve got plastic in a Taiwan gun PC. I’ll test fit it later. 

@Duff why not? As said, exercise is good and the weight keeps it put (I run gas so that’s not really an issue, so I’d use the concrete with my recoil). That and it will upset the speedsofters and their 13 year old lesbian bodies. Seriously though, you can tell that you’ve been hit on a PC better than your trousers most times. Cheating cunts are cheating cunts. Doesn’t matter what they wear. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

fun fitness training - I filled hollow dummy plates with concrete and put them in, Great workout on the thighs.

36 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I'll meet you both at the orthopaedic surgeons office in about ten years, maybe we can get a group discount on new knees ?😜

Well, I think you're quite fucking mad. I get plenty of exercise at my work, on my feet all day except for about half hours driving and I spend at least 2 hours a day lifting heavy ass medical supplies like implants and plates for idiots like you who are intent on wearing their body out before their time.

Kidding, I don't think you're idiots. I do think you're mad as a box of frogs though.

My only question is why you training for the RAF, we all know you just need to show up to join. 😃

6 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I'll meet you both at the orthopaedic surgeons office in about ten years, maybe we can get a group discount on new knees ?😜

Already got a fucked knee, coming off a motorbike. It aches when it’s cold. The plates really aren’t that heavy and I’m not big by any means. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Seven said:

Again, im an outsider going to play my first game day this Sunday so feel free to educate me, but im dreading the day someone's BB hits me somewhere and I don't see, hear or feel it. I'll feel shite.

Some people don't share my concern though... Cest la vie!

The simple rule is if you genuinely done see, feel or hear a hit it's not a hit.

If people start yelling at you for not taking (even if theres decent doubt that they're actually hitting you) then the gentlemanly thing to do is take it anyway.

If someone yells and they're definately not coming close (like dropping short or hitting cover they cant see like netting) then tell them where they're going wrong.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

Already got a fucked knee, coming off a motorbike. It aches when it’s cold. The plates really aren’t that heavy and I’m not big by any means. 

Yeah, bike bit me too bout 18 yrs ago, 80mph off did a nice job on my back & right hip, prior to that pro ice hockey & rugby at county level, go back further & I was 1rgj, fastest marchers in the army, & when we weren't marching we were running, usually in full kit & packs, we were "training hard & fighting easy" before the yanks had even coined the phrase.

Point is, what "we" now do is a game, I know we've got some players who are "in" & sure, airsoft is a great training tool, but for 97% of us its a break from everyday shit, BUT it shouldn't impact on our day to day shit in the real world, whether that's a TV weatherman whos got a face full of lumps from a point blank burst, or a plumber who can't get under a sink cos heavy plates in a pc have exaggerated a back or knee injury (or both).

Sorry if I sound like grumpy old "dad" mode, its one of those "talking from the voice of experience" scenarios, let those of old un's who have fucked up be a warning to you youngsters, we were young dumb & full of cum.

Now we're just dumb lol

Edit: rereading this I realise it comes across slightly condescendingly, definitely not my intention guys 😁

1 hour ago, Keldon said:

My only question is why you training for the RAF, we all know you just need to show up to join. 😃

I laughed at this a wee bit more than I should have... 

That 5 miler of death though... Murder! Lmfao

2 hours ago, Keldon said:

Ha! If only. Harder requirements than many SF. Then again, that’s because of the corrupt government contracts from the tories cashing in on getting paid for every recruit they test and fail.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Duff said:

I removed my plates cos they made taking it on and off awkward. 

Aahh there is a way round this problem my young padawan ! 

Get the foam ‘plates’ put a couple of strips of Black nasty on one side then on the other score it top to bottom (I do mine about 7 times) then bend it till it breaks down each of the score lines and Robert is your mothers brother! it fits to your body .job done .

as others have said if anyone takes a hit to there plate carrier and says they didn’t know then I’m 99% sure that one of two things happened A; you didn’t hit them or B; there a cheating little shit , you feel a hit if you don’t feel it you most definitely will hear it to say it’s a distinctive sound is an understatement a hit to the carrier sounds like nothing else . Sorry to have to say it but in my eyes if you denied it and you really were hit then your a cheat end off .

as to wether they should be banned or not , if your willing to ban them due to the accusation that players will say they didn’t feel a hit on there carrier then surly you will also need to ban high cycle guns as well due to the increased risk of over kill with one of those as opposed to a ‘normal’ AEG

I don't want nor need any plates in it. I wear it to carry mags and a pistol, not to make me eligible for a Darwin award.

Archived