Plate Carriers - What are they actually for in Airsoft?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I sweat loads anyway, JPC or no I'm gonna be wet through by the end of a game.

Back on topic, I find mine very useful for carrying shit, especially the hydration unit as you gotta keep hydrated so you can keep sweating. :D It also makes you look tacti-cool mayne!?

Also it's the best place for your patches.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

When you come down to it it’s the same as prity much everything in Airsoft , why have it ? 

why don’t we all just have a combat machine M4 with 3 hi-caps and nothing else ?

we don’t NEED any of the other stuff we carry , we have it because we want to have it not because we need it to play . Me personally (and I know it’s the same for my team mates) Airsoft is my escape from the pressures of real life , I have a very high stress level job (I’m an A&E nurse and my best bud is the boss of a national sports stadium) so for us it’s our release valve . It’s fantasy it’s me trying to re-capture my youth and illustrious and heroic military career that never were any thing like that ! 😉

So when I play I go full bells and whistles as it’s all part of my fun and games some times I go belt order and some times I’m a borderline juggernaut I’ve got that much kit on ! 😂 

End of the day you use and carry what ever you want and if anyone looks down or pass snide comment on it just tell em “go shove your head up your arse youshitspeckledmuppetfart ! “ 👍

1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

When you come down to it it’s the same as prity much everything in Airsoft , why have it ? 

why don’t we all just have a combat machine M4 with 3 hi-caps and nothing else ?

we don’t NEED any of the other stuff we carry , we have it because we want to have it not because we need it to play . Me personally (and I know it’s the same for my team mates) Airsoft is my escape from the pressures of real life , I have a very high stress level job (I’m an A&E nurse and my best bud is the boss of a national sports stadium) so for us it’s our release valve . It’s fantasy it’s me trying to re-capture my youth and illustrious and heroic military career that never were any thing like that ! 😉

So when I play I go full bells and whistles as it’s all part of my fun and games some times I go belt order and some times I’m a borderline juggernaut I’ve got that much kit on ! 😂 

End of the day you use and carry what ever you want and if anyone looks down or pass snide comment on it just tell em “go shove your head up your arse youshitspeckledmuppetfart ! “ 👍

Have you been speaking to my dad? He’s always calling me a shitspeckledmuppetfart....

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Absolutely not, no way, no how.  Start down that route and where does it end?  Oh, I'm wearing my Hurt Locker EOD rig today, you need to hit me from behind in the ankle for it to count.

Tbh i wouldnt mind that, if the aim of our game is vaguely simulating real combat then wearing armour should have the same benefits and drawbacks as in the real world.

So sure he can only get hit in his ankle but he's gonna be slow suffering from all that weight and easy prey to get behind.

Most of the sites i go to for example allow riot shields (even if theyre fake and not actually bullet resistant) and yet you rarely see them fielded for the same reason you wont find that many in real combat zones.

2 hours ago, Druid799 said:

carry what ever you want and if anyone looks down or pass snide comment on it just tell em “go shove your head up your arse youshitspeckledmuppetfart ! 

Cockwomblethundercunt is my favourite! 🤣🤣🤣

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Seven said:

Cockwomblethundercunt is my favourite! 🤣🤣🤣

Don’t forget the simple but so descriptive , 

‘spunktrumpet’ ! 👍

🤣🤣

9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Most of the sites i go to for example allow riot shields (even if theyre fake and not actually bullet resistant) and yet you rarely see them fielded for the same reason you wont find that many in real combat zones.

I agree allow shields in game but I think it must look like a real ballistic sheild and your not alowed to run with it like a real one due to the weight of it . I don’t agree with riot shields being used as there not fully ballistic , if you shoot at one your hitting the guy carrying it .

On Tuesday, July 03, 2018 at 22:22, Druid799 said:

Well said matey

• Supporters

Agree with all of the above BUT with one exception, some players need to "educated" (aka protected from themselves), when its 28degrees & some Muppets feel the need to dress up like an extra in the Hurt Locker, whether its through subliminal peer pressure etc, & usually the same pleb is usually past their physical peak, is it wrong to feel the need to point out the risks their facing on a gameday ???

Good example, dopey Walt by the name of Marcus (aka The Hand of M 😜), wandering  around the safezone at Ft Amherst pre-game one summer, showing everyone his pc, complete with fake SAPI plates that he'd filled with sand, weirdly proud that he was gonna wear it to play, those of us with more sense just shook our heads at the Dick, bit later in the day I whiz back to safezone to swap out a dead gun, & there he is, bathed in sweat, ready to chuck up & complaining of back pain........ that's the side to "all the gear" that peeps have to consider ?

• Supporters

Tru dat.

Walt: Always looking for ways to wear more real gear just like a real soldier.

Real soldier: Always looking for ways to wear less gear.

• Supporters

But when you come down to it some people are just inherently thick as pigshit and quite frankly if they crossed there legs and farted to clear there minds they still couldn’t make double figures ! 😳

I had a PC on at Anzio at the weekend. 8 hours in 30C heat. Was hot but I was perfectly fine. You’re all old and unfit😂

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I had a PC on at Anzio at the weekend. 8 hours in 30C heat. Was hot but I was perfectly fine. You’re all old and unfit😂

your actually right, & sometimes young guys aren't as fit as they'd like to believe, or have poor levels of stamina, causing them to whine & cry off mid game, I've seen every variation of the above in airsoft, prob not helped by the Cod generation 😜, or in cases like my own, been a real warrior & pro athlete, & my heads writing cheques that my body can no longer cash lol.

I’m far from being in peak physical condition, but I get by 😂. I just see the ache the next day as all part of the experience. I do think carrying the kitchen sink for the sake of looking cool is a bit daft. My PC is bloody heavy, but I only have what I need on it.

4 gas m4 mags

2 pistol mags

comms (which I removed because my side all had radios but all on different frequencies 😑)

hydration

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I’m far from being in peak physical condition, but I get by 😂. I just see the ache the next day as all part of the experience. I do think carrying the kitchen sink for the sake of looking cool is a bit daft. My PC is bloody heavy, but I only have what I need on it.

4 gas m4 mags

2 pistol mags

comms (which I removed because my side all had radios but all on different frequencies 😑)

hydration

Yep i'll often carry the same, maybe sometimes a wee bit more if I'm certain ill need it, I just won't use an all enclosed pc, can't see the point of wrapping my whole torso in 3 or 4 layers of 1000 denier cordura, I favour stuff like my molle bandoleer, its a bit like always swimming in a full wetsuit, then one day you switch to budgie smugglers, the "freedom" is amazing.

8 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Yep i'll often carry the same, maybe sometimes a wee bit more if I'm certain ill need it, I just won't use an all enclosed pc, can't see the point of wrapping my whole torso in 3 or 4 layers of 1000 denier cordura, I favour stuff like my molle bandoleer, its a bit like always swimming in a full wetsuit, then one day you switch to budgie smugglers, the "freedom" is amazing.

Does it move about at all? I’ve only tried cheap chest rigs and stuff before I got my plate carrier, and I didn’t like them for running in. They used to slosh about with the weight of the mags. I keep looking at those Hayley strategic mini rig things, I just want something to not shake about. 

I found the same issue once my plates were removed until I shortenend/tightened the shoulder straps and now it's pretty steady when running.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Tackle said:

your actually right, & sometimes young guys aren't as fit as they'd like to believe, or have poor levels of stamina, causing them to whine & cry off mid game, I've seen every variation of the above in airsoft, prob not helped by the Cod generation 😜, or in cases like my own, been a real warrior & pro athlete, & my heads writing cheques that my body can no longer cash lol.

Nail on head ! BIG difference between fitness and stamina , yes you may have the body of a young god and can bench press 4 cows and a goat but have you got the metal attitude to keep going when your on your chinstrap ? Sad to say most haven’t and even sadder Is the fact that by the very nature of the game we’re going to get the the ones playing who you’d expect to be more that way inclined due to the nature of the game ? (running around shooting AND getting shot by other players) sad but true .😢

Me and you both in the same boat Tackle , and a fair few of the guys at my regular site ! 😖😖

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Wo1f said:

Does it move about at all? I’ve only tried cheap chest rigs and stuff before I got my plate carrier, and I didn’t like them for running in. They used to slosh about with the weight of the mags. I keep looking at those Hayley strategic mini rig things, I just want something to not shake about. 

Its actually really good, no movement at all, prob helped by the fact I run 4 TacTailor short 7.62 mag shingles on it, they technically are a smidge wider than 2 molle rows, but I squeeze 4 pouches on 8 rows of molle, this gives the rig a "figure hugging" curve & rigidity, they work with m4 & m14 mags, plus I run an inverted serpa & leaves room for 1 last m4 shingle with a twin pistol mag on top of it, which is just above my left hip, as a super lightweight non restrictive set up I've found nothing better.

Talk to gazmeister, he's copied it & I believe he's loving it.

Edit: heres pic of gaz's, couldn't find one of mine, will have a hunt around

00A4259E-1362-437E-AC1D-9434F6DD32E3_thumb_jpeg_a87cc3cb7dcb288dd4dcd06dada1d8fa.jpg

image.jpg

Heres a crape old pic of mine, squinting at it I can see its got all m4 shingles, changed to the 7.62 shorter shingles since, works even betterer 😜

@Tackle I’ll look into it. Sounds like it might be the way to go for a scar H rig

3 hours ago, Tackle said:

In my head I have the body of Apollo.

In reality I'm more like a middle aged Buddha.

I tend to amble and think rather than rush in, but still manage to have fun.

Cheers

G

I am a bit old fashioned as I generally prefer just normal webbing, as its easier to go prone in.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Nail on head ! BIG difference between fitness and stamina , yes you may have the body of a young god and can bench press 4 cows and a goat but have you got the metal attitude to keep going when your on your chinstrap ? Sad to say most haven’t and even sadder Is the fact that by the very nature of the game we’re going to get the the ones playing who you’d expect to be more that way inclined due to the nature of the game ? (running around shooting AND getting shot by other players) sad but true .😢

Me and you both in the same boat Tackle , and a fair few of the guys at my regular site ! 😖😖

yep, bout 7yrs ago I should've kicked the bucket, went down with pancreatitis, 2 burst ulcers, sepsis & kidney stones all at once, wasn't a pretty site, looked like homer (I was even yellow lol), bout 6 months after getting out if intensive care I decide fuck it, I need to get back in to playing & what better than a 72hr milsim on a woodland site in late September or early October ?.

Wife said I was barmy, talk about baptism of fire but to me it was a kinda rite of passage game, had to do it for "myself" if you know what I mean.

Anyway, very immersive game, everything needed was carried in large gs Bergen, typically weather was shite for lot of it, when it wasn't raining it was cold etc etc, & I was part of a team of about 16, on the run throughout the weekender while being pursued by much larger hunter force (bout 40 ?).

Not gonna lie, was on my chinstraps a few times, on the run/wet/cold/tired etc, but didn't want to quit, thing is there was only one guy my age on my team, everybody else was literally half our age, including some serving squaddies, at least 2 of which had driven from Germany for the game ffs.

By the end of it we were down to about 7, everybody crying off with feeble excuses.

Afterwards few of us headed to McD's, in civvies but filthy with cam cream still on necks, ears & in beards lol, & I say to one of the guys who'd driven from Germany (his mate had quit), "did you wobble at all ?", his reply was "loadsa times but if you old gits were keeping going, id have been shown up".

I'm sure theres a moral there somewhere lol

24 minutes ago, Tackle said:

yep, bout 7yrs ago I should've kicked the bucket, went down with pancreatitis, 2 burst ulcers, sepsis & kidney stones all at once, wasn't a pretty site, looked like homer (I was even yellow lol), bout 6 months after getting out if intensive care I decide fuck it, I need to get back in to playing & what better than a 72hr milsim on a woodland site in late September or early October ?.

Wife said I was barmy, talk about baptism of fire but to me it was a kinda rite of passage game, had to do it for "myself" if you know what I mean.

Anyway, very immersive game, everything needed was carried in large gs Bergen, typically weather was shite for lot of it, when it wasn't raining it was cold etc etc, & I was part of a team of about 16, on the run throughout the weekender while being pursued by much larger hunter force (bout 40 ?).

Not gonna lie, was on my chinstraps a few times, on the run/wet/cold/tired etc, but didn't want to quit, thing is there was only one guy my age on my team, everybody else was literally half our age, including some serving squaddies, at least 2 of which had driven from Germany for the game ffs.

By the end of it we were down to about 7, everybody crying off with feeble excuses.

Afterwards few of us headed to McD's, in civvies but filthy with cam cream still on necks, ears & in beards lol, & I say to one of the guys who'd driven from Germany (his mate had quit), "did you wobble at all ?", his reply was "loadsa times but if you old gits were keeping going, id have been shown up".

I'm sure theres a moral there somewhere lol

Wow glad you made a recovery from that mate.

• Supporters

No where near that severity but 6wks ago ? Was at a game , and by lunchtime was limping a bit couple of times had players come up to me with looks of concern on there faces asking if I was ok ? (as in “the old man must have hurt him self!) I turn round and say “nah I’m fine I had knee surgery 2wks ago so it’s pulling a bit” (had a bucket handle tear of the cartilage repaired , re-surfacing of the patella and a repair to the PCL tendon) and there looks of concern change too looks of horror with multiple comments asking why I was there and not laided up at home .😂

pain is an old friend , just crack on ! 😉

3 hours ago, Duff said:

Wow glad you made a recovery from that mate.

He walked it off ! 😇

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I started out with a Blackhawk assault vest and drop leg kit that I had picked up on my travels buckshee. In my first couple of games I couldnt feel anything. I was in juggernaut mode. Definitely something I will wear for CQB but not in woodland.

I rapidly swapped to a lightweight webbing set. Suits me perfectly. I can feel my hits and carry what I need. (I likes grenades) 

My kid whacked on an Osprey vest and was uncomfortable and hot. I bought him a really cheap Plate Carrier and it was just perfect for him with a few mag pouches and pistol holster. Think of it as Assault Vest light.

Protection. Totally secondary in airsoft.

Archived