Plate Carriers - What are they actually for in Airsoft?

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carry things you need... and loads you don’t 😂

1 minute ago, sonofsammo said:

I suppose the supplemental question would be:

Why would you use when in preference to a chest rig / battle belt (w/w-out harness) ?

It’s all about preference, I’ve run chest rigs and plate carriers and I prefer the latter. 

1 minute ago, sonofsammo said:

I suppose the supplemental question would be:

Why would you use when in preference to a chest rig / battle belt (w/w-out harness) ?

I have a condor plate for when I’m not sure what gun I am going to run... 

but I have just brought a condor battle belt for when I run sniper/pistol.

2 minutes ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

It’s all about preference, I’ve run chest rigs and plate carriers and I prefer the latter. 

I hear you! But I don't understand still - what is it, for you, that makes the plate carrier better than a chest rig when you're playing?

• Supporters

Used a cheat rig once, found it to cumbersome and weight that wasn’t required.

I can fit 3 M4 mags, 3 pistol mags, dump pouch, Mk23 holster, grenade pouch and still have space left on my battle belt, why would you add more weight and space for stuff that’s not required?

2 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I hear you! But I don't understand still - what is it, for you, that makes the plate carrier better than a chest rig when you're playing?

Yeah sorry reply was a bit blunt, watching England!

my JPC 2.0 isn’t cumbersome, I can move quick etc, carry everything I need and look cool! Chest rig on the other hand just didn’t work for me, didn’t fit right albeit it was a cheap one and nothing special. 

• Supporters

As said it's just for looks and for carrying stuff. Generally these days I just run a belt rig- its lighter and less cumbersome etc. 

It's just personal preference, there's pros and cons for each bit of load carrying kit. I feel plate carriers are a bit overkill in airsoft, I'd never use anything that I'd end  up filling it with but some will prefer that over a belt or equivalent

I like how much I can fit on my plate carrier and how it distributes the weight. A lot of cheap ones really are rubbish and I had a condor one for too long that never sat right. It really is personal preference and how much you dont mind sweating.

24 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

For realsies though... I tried a belt and drop leg for my pistol and it was a royal ballache and upgraded to a JPC when I started building my M4 cos I had nowhere for mags. Now everything is on my JPC except a small dump pouch that attches to a normal belt.

Hence my recent advert selling my belt and dlu. 

• Head Moderator

A plate carrier just looks so tacti-cool even if not that necessary.  Fits into the soldier role play.  Major downside it that you are less likely to feel your hits, and some "operators" think it stops the hits from counting.

They do keep you warmer in cold weather, and as well as carry items gives you a large area to wear your forum or other patches ;) 

I managed to carry 5 mags on my belt and a BB reloader shaped like a mag on my belt.

I would have died with a plate carrier on Sunday, it was over 30 degrees.

G

And an HPA tank 🙂

Yeah but it doesn't have any plates in it. Also it carries my hydration bladder so yeah.

You're gonna sweat your tits off regardless playing airsoft in 30 degrees anyway!?

I much prefer a plate carrier over a chest rig. I run a WAS recon plate carrier. I’ve found I can move in it much better than a chest rig. A chest rig also sloshes about more when you’re running; it’s almost like a minor restriction you get when wearing a big coat. The flat, rigid surface is nice too. Not only can you get a better balance because they’re generally more customisable, they deal with weight better. I think running heavy gas mags emphasises the gain I feel from a PC over a chest rig. 

Advantages of my particular PC is I can swap out the front and run an entirely different gun in seconds without having to dick around with mag pouches and molle. 

That and they look awesome... I don’t get the none hit taking though. Sure I don’t feel it, but it makes a very distinctive noise. I think cheaters will use it as an excuse, but they’ll always find an excuse no matter what they wear. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Wo1f said:

That and they look awesome... I don’t get the none hit taking though. Sure I don’t feel it, but it makes a very distinctive noise. I think cheaters will use it as an excuse, but they’ll always find an excuse no matter what they wear. 

This is definitely true, you know when you're hit 99% of the time with a carrier or without 

• Supporters

as with everything in airsoft they're just an accessory.

in terms of carrying all your kit a belt rig is much more flexible than a plate carrier, of course in real combat the idea of a plate carrier is it's stopping you from dying and if you're gonna be lugging a big plate on your chest you might as well stick some mags on it.

if you like them then use them, if not don't. personally i'm not a fan although if it was real lead flying i'd take the discomfort for the protection.

it is an interesting point that if you're running actual armour plates that would stop real bullets should you be allowed to disregard hits to the armour?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Prisce said:

Help people not take/feel there hits...

Which is one reason why I wear a belt.  Also, it's cooler.  If you need to be warmer, clothing is available for that purpose.

I started with a backless tacticool vest and found even that's surplus to requirements both in heat and carrying capacity.

On Sunday I belted up and ran 4 sniper mags, 5 MP5 mags, 2 grenades, a canteen, radio and a dump pouch on a belt.

Plate carriers are worn because you want to wear a plate carrier.  It's all good, although I would very much like it if people didn't wear any sort of plate or padding inside them.

9 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

it is an interesting point that if you're running actual armour plates that would stop real bullets should you be allowed to disregard hits to the armour? 

Absolutely not, no way, no how.  Start down that route and where does it end?  Oh, I'm wearing my Hurt Locker EOD rig today, you need to hit me from behind in the ankle for it to count.

Slight counter argument to that... I’ve found that running everything on a belt digs into you. If you have a high cap and a pistol mag on it then fine, but you put 5, half kg gas mags on your belt and see how awesome that feels. Much nicer to have that weight across your shoulders 

25 minutes ago, M_P said:

This is definitely true, you know when you're hit 99% of the time with a carrier or without 

Sure is. I got a hit on my hydration pouch and was well aware, raised my hand an wandered off to respawn. Cheaters will cheat no matter what 

24 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Slight counter argument to that... I’ve found that running everything on a belt digs into you. If you have a high cap and a pistol mag on it then fine, but you put 5, half kg gas mags on your belt and see how awesome that feels. Much nicer to have that weight across your shoulders 

I didn't have that problem, but I supose it depends on lots of factors, shape, level of fitness (poor in my case 😉 ), type of belt, whether it is set up properly (went with an ex-army mate and made sure mine was set up right), what and how you are carryng it, and how you play.

Weight should be on your hips if the belt is set up right.

Cheers

G

PS an HPA tank is 1.6kg.

38 minutes ago, Duff said:

Yeah but it doesn't have any plates in it. Also it carries my hydration bladder so yeah.

You're gonna sweat your tits off regardless playing airsoft in 30 degrees anyway!?

I was more soaked when I played in a PC at the Mall when it was  18 degrees outside, probably 20-25 inside.

The PC will also retain more heat, one guy was nearly passing out at reforger, and he was in full kit, helmet, JPC etc and was a lot fitter than me.

Archived