What COLOUR flashlight/torch would you recommend?

Jellytotz
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I love playing CQB and the place I go to is very dark (indoor site), with 70-80% of it pitch/near black.

Anyways, I've been doing a bit of reading and apparently a RED flashlight/torch is best for night viewing over white (which I currently use) due to how your eyes work and adjusting to night vision. 

Before I invest into one (coloured filters just aren't the same), what colour light would you recommend for my situation? What do you use - white, red, green - if so, why? 

Many thanks!

Edit: forgot to say that one team wears yellow arm bands...if that helps with picking out that colour with a non white light?

• Supporters

I've always just used a standard white torch, I don't think I've ever seen people use other colours to be honest 

My understanding was that red is used more because it's not as visible for others so is used for navigation etc though I could be completely wrong there. 

• Supporters

White for a weapon light. Red is great as a little torch to find your way around without giving yourself away so badly, but if you want to light someone up and then shoot them then the brightest white light you can get is best. 

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Green supreme!

KC8McsL.jpg

Personally, I love the green.

It's different (only seen one other green torch out there).

It's great for not giving you away as the green dissipates sooner than the white torches, so you're not lighting up corridors round the corner so you're not advertising your whereabouts as often.

I've been tempted to try a UV torch, but I'm not sure if it'd actually be safe to use.

The same company that makes my green torch makes a UV torch as well, for looking for spunk in your hotel beds etc.. I'm just not sure if it's actually safe to flash in people's eyes? Anyone able to weigh in on this?

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Disregard that.. some extensive mid-poo googling has lead me to believe that they're just as dangerous for eyes as old Bulb UV.

I don't want to give the opposing team cateracts... Or do I...?

Seems flesh lights come in Caucasian or African, no Asian which is weird. You can get these AppleJacks in different colours though...

[[Moderator comment - picture removed under rule: Absolutely no images or videos of an adult or graphically sexual nature]]

• Supporters

Red is great (for some applications), as it doesn't "close down" the mechanism of the eye that allows for limited night vision, whereas a flash of white light essentially pushes back that ability by up to 30 minutes.

& theres the conundrum, use red knowing that you & your teammates eyes won't be negatively affected, OR go with the white, hopefully screwing up your opponents night vision capability.

The bigger common issue is players using any tactical light correctly, example would be half a dozen guys moving quietly in single file down a corridor, only person using a light should be the guy at the front, or maybe he won't, just relying on stealth, but you can guarantee some dopey twat at the back will turn his on, therefore giving away the five guys in front of him..... happened to me too many times to remember.

9 hours ago, Duff said:

Seems flesh lights come in Caucasian or African, no Asian which is weird. You can get these AppleJacks in different colours though...

lovin the country orange, makes me feel I'm back in Essex 😉

• Supporters

The human eye is more sensitive to red light so you need a lower output torch to see what you're doing. White light is better for a weapon light if your intention is to light up the enemy.

Of course it's all completely moot in dark CQB environments because some bell end with a gajillion watt hand torch gaffa taped to his handguard will always silhouette you from behind while simultaneously blinding every fucker in the room.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Of course it's all completely moot in dark CQB environments because some bell end with a gajillion watt hand torch gaffa taped to his handguard will always silhouette you from behind while simultaneously blinding every fucker in the room.

Never a truer word said ! 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂

as all the others have said get a bog standard white one and flash away !

One thing to do though sounds really obvious but a LOT don’t do it , when you do use your torch try and close one eye as you use it , will preserve some of your night vision .👍

At the Mall said twat back lighting you is my pet peeve.  Personally dont use a torch round there at all.

2 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Red all the way. White just lets people know you are coming too easy and screws up your night vision.

Is it by any chance the mall you are playing at? 

It is indeed The Mall I play at ;)

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Jellytotz said:

It is indeed The Mall I play at ;)

There are a couple of players who use a red torch in there. Problem with it is the better players when seeing the red will assume you are one of those and go all out to try and get you.

So yeah it works well but there are consequences to it.

5 hours ago, Lozart said:

The human eye is more sensitive to red light so you need a lower output torch to see what you're doing. White light is better for a weapon light if your intention is to light up the enemy.

This....

Always this!! 

I like red. Keeps me from blinding myself on splashback from the walls, preserves my night vision if I have to double check where my feet are on stairs.

White as above better for blinding but I don't find blinding that useful. People peeking corners tend to duck back (and thus avoid the slower traveling bb) when a bright torch is aimed at them. 

If you're spoiled for rail space and don't mind the weight, a bright white and a dim red would give you best of both worlds. My chicken arms and I will stick to one dim red. 

Archived