Anyone from Glasgow going to Depot next week and have a baofeng uv-5r?

Seven
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey folks,

Specific one for the Elite Glasgow players 😉🤣

Anyone going to Depot on the 8th and own and use a baofeng uv-5r?

If so, any chance of a quick product demo? Thinking about picking up some of them but would like to hear it in action. Wouldn't mind paying more for clearer voice reproduction but at those prices i can't dismiss the baofeng without giving them a chance first.

Cheers folks!

• Supporters

Yes, I'll be there and I've just bought a UV-5R, which will get its first outing tomorrow at Nomad.   I'll try to remember to bring it along to the Depot, but give me a prod later in the week.  I'll be in the beige with an MP5K.  And a UV-5R...

35 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Yes, I'll be there and I've just bought a UV-5R, which will get its first outing tomorrow at Nomad.   I'll try to remember to bring it along to the Depot, but give me a prod later in the week.  I'll be in the beige with an MP5K.  And a UV-5R...

Roger that, cheers dude.

I'll be the dapper fellow in the mesh mask with painted teeth and orange stripe down the helmet in black BTP ACU's, lookin sorry for myself with a hire weapon, lmao.

How are the hires in depot btw? Decent?

1 hour ago, Seven said:

Roger that, cheers dude.

I'll be the dapper fellow in the mesh mask with painted teeth and orange stripe down the helmet in black BTP ACU's, lookin sorry for myself with a hire weapon, lmao.

How are the hires in depot btw? Decent?

I played my 3 qualifying games at the Depot and the rental guns (AK47) are solid. Only time I had an issue was when they introduce an "upgrade" M4 rental pack which broke before the first game but they turned it around sharpish. If you don't have pyro I'd recommend picking some up from the shop, too many staircases and kill funnels to get through without them. 

Though they are technically illegal due to the removable aerial and high power.  1W is a ridiculous amount for such a radio

Noone ever bothers applying the law however.....

3 hours ago, apexpredator said:

I played my 3 qualifying games at the Depot and the rental guns (AK47) are solid. Only time I had an issue was when they introduce an "upgrade" M4 rental pack which broke before the first game but they turned it around sharpish. If you don't have pyro I'd recommend picking some up from the shop, too many staircases and kill funnels to get through without them. 

Not counting the pregame failure, did you find the M4 upgrade worth the extra expense?

3 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

your radio is only as good as the worst radio you're talking to... which will likely be a Baofeng anyway!

Good point... Would different accessories such as comtac's or a decent in-ear piece make much difference make people easier to hear and understand amongst local noise such as other people talking/shouting nearby etc.

I want to stay away from things like comtac so as not to muffle local noise like footsteps and people not on radio talking to me while still being able to comfortably hear and understand What's going on on radio.

I was thinking about splashing for a throat mic with in ear piece like the ones from Code Red.

2 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Though they are technically illegal due to the removable aerial and high power.  1W is a ridiculous amount for such a radio

Illegal to use without a license you mean?

14 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

11 hours ago, Seven said:

Not counting the pregame failure, did you find the M4 upgrade worth the extra expense?

Good point... Would different accessories such as comtac's or a decent in-ear piece make much difference make people easier to hear and understand amongst local noise such as other people talking/shouting nearby etc.

I want to stay away from things like comtac so as not to muffle local noise like footsteps and people not on radio talking to me while still being able to comfortably hear and understand What's going on on radio.

I was thinking about splashing for a throat mic with in ear piece like the ones from Code Red.

Illegal to use without a license you mean?

Yes, the Baofengs are UK legal with a licence and operated on your licenced frequency

They can be programmed to licence free PMR frequencies, but are over powered and therefore illegal to operate in those frequencies

• Supporters

Ahoy.  It received fine but didn't want to transmit to the PMR handsets in use.  Since I didn't have access to the Googletubes, I wasn't able to figure that one out.  The rest of the radios being used on site were Baofengs, so it's unlikely to be an inherent problem.

It wasn't a great day, to be honest.  See my medic moan for why.  Certainly a cheap day out for ammo, I think I spent more on posh water.

Onwards and upwards to the Depot though.  The full metal rental AKs are indeed decent, and if you do run into trouble there are plenty of marshals to sort you out.  Worse case, I'll likely have a G36C sitting around doing nothing if you want to give that a shot as well.

As far as I can remember without digging out the relevant legislation , to be legal they need to be under 0.5W, which they obviously aren't.  Tommikka has it right - if you have a license you can operate on your frequencies but thats about it.  Hence 99% of airsofters are running them illegally.  Chances of you being caught are slim to none however.  

52 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Ahoy.  It received fine but didn't want to transmit to the PMR handsets in use.  Since I didn't have access to the Googletubes, I wasn't able to figure that one out.  The rest of the radios being used on site were Baofengs, so it's unlikely to be an inherent problem.

It wasn't a great day, to be honest.  See my medic moan for why.  Certainly a cheap day out for ammo, I think I spent more on posh water.

Onwards and upwards to the Depot though.  The full metal rental AKs are indeed decent, and if you do run into trouble there are plenty of marshals to sort you out.  Worse case, I'll likely have a G36C sitting around doing nothing if you want to give that a shot as well.

They were probably on a different sub-channel.  Even on the 8 PMR frequencies you can subdivide them down to different sub channels. If you don't set the Transmit and Receive frequencies to be the same then you won't hear a thing.  As far as I can remember, these are the T-CTSS and R-CTSS options on the menu - could be wrong with the nomenclature but close enough.  Its rather long winded how to set it up and really needs doing in advance of a game with your teammates.  Google is your friend. :)

• Supporters

Mmm, I took a wild guess at it being the CTCSS but had no luck.  I've got a PMR at home that I'll try setting it up with.  Compared to a noddy PMR there's a shedload of options in there to figure out.

Oh, I'd definitely advocate using PMR frequencies rather than some random frequency.

Silver Fox who plays at the Depot is a copper, so if he wants to nab the marshals for using 4W radios, he could do so at any time. ;)

[UPDATE]

Derp.  I'd set the R--CTCS(S), but not the T-CTCS, which explains it.  That's it talking to a PMR using CTCSS just fine now.

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Mmm, I took a wild guess at it being the CTCSS but had no luck.  I've got a PMR at home that I'll try setting it up with.  Compared to a noddy PMR there's a shedload of options in there to figure out.

Oh, I'd definitely advocate using PMR frequencies rather than some random frequency.

Silver Fox who plays at the Depot is a copper, so if he wants to nab the marshals for using 4W radios, he could do so at any time. ;)

[UPDATE]

Derp.  I'd set the R--CTCS(S), but not the T-CTCS, which explains it.  That's it talking to a PMR using CTCSS just fine now.

Im going to get a business light licence. It's £75 every 5 years and Ofcom will allocate you 15 frequencies to use.

Also means anyone (on my team or social group or outside of Airsoft) can use the frequency I am on and be covered under my license. £15 a year to use proper HAM UHF frequencies and all be above board? Can't really think of a reason not to.

How did/do you find the audio quality going in and out of the baofeng, Roger?

Is the earpiece it comes with decent enough to begin with?

• Supporters

I can hear things both ways.  I don't have much to compare the quality with, but it's usable across... huh, Nomad is/was only 500m across the diagonal.  It certainly felt bigger when you were humping your gear across it.

I've not used it with the earpiece yet, nor have I tried it indoors, but folk use them at the Depot without problems.

On 30/06/2018 at 22:05, Rogerborg said:

Good morrow Mr Borg!

Friendly reminder to pack your 5r as requested if it pleases you.

It turns out the discussion regarding depots AK rentals was moot. They rocking out the G36c's for Sunday!

Im off to bed for work tonight... 12 hour night shift and then straight to depot from work... Should be interesting, lol

Cya in the morning!

On 30/06/2018 at 23:50, apexpredator said:

Do you remember the price of the paper pyro at depot? Just so I can ensure I have the appropriate funds in my pocket.

Not gotten round to buying a trmr yet.

• Supporters

Thanks for the reminder.  Yes, it's in the  pre-packing staging area.  I'll also be bringing a basic PMR with them tuned to each other to see if 0.5W is enough shoutiness for that site.

Tan G36Cs are sooooo passe now that the hoi polloi will be using them. :(

Pyro prices are:

Thunderflash Grenade – £3 each

Thermobaric Grenade – £4 each

£10 Pyro Deal – 4x Thunderflash Grenade (£2 saving)

£10 Pyro Deal – 3x Thermobaric Grenade (£2 saving)

I think those are still up to date.  Aside, on a quick inventory I've got through ~90 .209 blanks since I got my two BFGs, which would be over £200 worth of disposables.  So the BFGs have already "paid" for themselves.  Granted, disposables are much bangier, and can also be used in the stairwells which is a significant advantage at the depot.

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Tan G36Cs are sooooo passe now that the hoi polloi will be using them. :(

Awww, sorry dude! 🤣

And yeah I fully intend on investing in a trmr... Should have one acquired with the multishot for next time.

Archived