Wanting to get into 'Namsofting

Tiercel
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As the title says really, Ive been playing far too much RO2: Vietnam, and watching too many movies and Im bored with regular airsofting and wanna give something else a try, so why not try some 'Namsofting?

I've been looking for Vietnam airsofting forums, but they all seem to be in the US or inactive, I cant seem to find a decently active UK based one, any suggestions? 

I've got a rough idea of what to buy for a semi passable first attempt at a basic OD GI look, but Im having real trouble finding OD jungle fatigues in the UK that arent hella expensive reenactor grade "repro" uniforms that cost the earth (Im not paying £80 from SoF for a shirt and trousers). I'm on the chunkier side of gentlemans' size clothing, and obviously soldiers back in the 60s were somewhat more spritely and could probably get away with wearing children's sized clothing. Now Im pretty sure Im not the only person here into this and having similar problems. 

So, UK based active Vietnam airsofting forum/groups to join? And where to buy jungle fatigues for fatties real people?

• Supporters

https://www.facebook.com/groups/543235879119216/

The Operation Dustoff series of Nam games is run by my mate Denn  over at Gunman Eversley. Get yourself onto the group and ask around, they're a pretty friendly bunch!

https://www.facebook.com/events/174484316544461/

Ahhhh I really hate using facebook for group stuff, I find it so difficult to keep track of things, no handy "threads" to keep contained to! Darn kids these days and their pesky bookfaces. Forums are so much better for organising things, but I guess thats not "trendy" anymore! :P

Convieniently it seems Eversley are running a 'Nam weekender right on my birthday in September too, seems a good as excuse as any to go to that! 

Sadly Facebook is your only option these days for getting into Nam-soft.  I firmly recommend you do though as they are great games.  I am just back from the last Gunman Eversley Vietnam game this weekend gone (though I play as PAVN or VC).  Eversley in summer is really jungle like and perfect for Nam games.  They have just rebuilt the American FOB and got a digger into dig out new bunkers ets - it looks immense.  I think the main attraction for me of historical games (incl Gunman cold War and 90s) vs normal skirmishes is the relative lack (compared to skirmishes) of any drama.  Not much whinging about hit taking or other forms of cheating. The reasons for this are numerous:

1.  More emphasis on the scenario and 'dressing up' and kit and less on shooting.

2.  Silliness/roleplaying is encouraged

3.  Everyone knows everyone else and are pretty friendly toward each other.

Get on FB, come along in Sept and see what I mean.   I will be the bloke with the RPD.....

As for buying kit - go to Epic Militaria not Soldier of Fortune.  Also, on FB there is always people selling kit.  

Another bonus of Gunman games is that they have a tonne of loan kit, and I mean a tonne.....

• Supporters

One thing I will warn you about the Facebook groups (the ones I’ve found anyway) they are all anal as f**k ! Near isn’t even close to good enough for them , one group even stipulated you had to have an appropriate hair cut ! FFS ! 🤦‍♂️

When I was trying to sort my kit I just did loads and loads of research my self until I was happy with what I had .👍 

My default haircut is "CBA with this shit Ive got better things to do, cut it as short as possible so I dont have to do this again for a while" anyway so that should be fine at least! :P

The "obsessively anal stitch counting" side of it is something Im mildly concerned about. Things like an M56 webbing and ALICE webbing look virtually identical, but the M56 stuff costs an absolute fortune

I had a look on the facebook link, pics., and a few questions on where to get kit, what to expect etc

Someone from the forum just posted there.

I guess you would enjoy it more if you can interact with others, but if you just want to turn up and play, you can just book on the Gunman website, link  Duff posted before.

http://www.gunmanairsoft.co.uk/?espresso_events=vietcong

There s a number to ring if you have questions.

Looks like the next Vietnam themed weekend is in September. 

Also if you can get your own Vietnam era RIF/uniform  you will probably enjoy it more, I'm guessing an upgraded gun will out range the rentals, but I could be wrong, as I've never tried it myself.  That is the kind of questions you could ask on FB.

G

Looking at the pics, many have beards and I can seen one guy with a pony tail, so you should be good.  Could always  hide ithe hair under a green bandana, if you wanted to be more authentic.  In tiger stripes it probably matters even less, I'm guessing special forces were less strict about hair/beards.

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

My default haircut is "CBA with this shit Ive got better things to do, cut it as short as possible so I dont have to do this again for a while" anyway so that should be fine at least! :P

The "obsessively anal stitch counting" side of it is something Im mildly concerned about. Things like an M56 webbing and ALICE webbing look virtually identical, but the M56 stuff costs an absolute fortune

Oh this wasn’t just a short hair cut my friend , oh no they stipulated it had to be an authentic style to the VN war , I kid you not !😳

i found three groups but gave up in the end as was way to restrictive, I just want to have some fantasy fun I’m not looking to time travel ! 👍 

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Looking at the pics, many have beards and I can seen one guy with a pony tail, so you should be good. 

Blond guy with a beard and a ponytail? That'll be my mate Denn that runs the Op Dustoff games.

23 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Also if you can get your own Vietnam era RIF/uniform  you will probably enjoy it more, I'm guessing an upgraded gun will out range the rentals, but I could be wrong, as I've never tried it myself.  That is the kind of questions you could ask on FB.

G

Way ahead of you on that front at least! Got a lovely M16A1 on its way to me thats going to be upgraded to the max, and planning on picking up an M14 at some point soon as well. Ive always loved the M14s and had about 3 different ones so far, but that was back in my poor student days when I had to sell guns on a regular basis to raise funds :( I regret selling most of my collection! Went through about 40+ different guns in 3 years!

I reckon it'll be a good laugh, but I wanna try it out on the cheap before I commit myself to investing any serious money in period authentic gear. The chaps on FB have been really helpful though. No stitch counters in sight yet! Several have suggested "any plain green trousers and shirt will do as long as its not obviously super modern" which is ideal :P

6 hours ago, Druid799 said:

One thing I will warn you about the Facebook groups (the ones I’ve found anyway) they are all anal as f**k ! Near isn’t even close to good enough for them , one group even stipulated you had to have an appropriate hair cut ! FFS ! 🤦‍♂️

When I was trying to sort my kit I just did loads and loads of research my self until I was happy with what I had .👍 

Absolute hogwash. I have been to all Gunman historical games and NEVER come across that attitude in any of them. close enough is good enough. In fact if you had that attitude you would quickly be asked to wind yer neck in. Sure it wasnt a reenactment group?

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Absolute hogwash. I have been to all Gunman historical games and NEVER come across that attitude in any of them. close enough is good enough. In fact if you had that attitude you would quickly be asked to wind yer neck in. Sure it wasnt a reenactment group?

Calm down sunny did I say Gunman ? No I did not so please calm down wind your neck in read my post BEFORE you go charging off half cocked , there’s a good boy . 

If you want to try and patronise someone at least get your spelling right...

And we were talking about the Gunman games anyway so kindly vacate my prescence

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:
45 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

at least get your spelling right...

prescence

Pot/kettle and all that, I think you meant PRESENCE.........;)

Meh mobile phone typing, plus I wasn't trying to be an patronising windbag

• Supporters
2 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

If you want to try and patronise someone at least get your spelling right...

And we were talking about the Gunman games anyway so kindly vacate my prescence

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😖

43F86AD1-A368-46A0-AD21-B45A0C38E76D.jpeg

10 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Meh mobile phone typing, plus I wasn't trying to be an patronising windbag

You failed ! 😉

Archived