Jump to content
sonofsammo

A cautionary tale......

Recommended Posts

After a thoroughly shitty day yesterday, I thought I'd cheer myself up by going to Killhouse for a bit of CQB pewpew.
It was all going so well - ARP9 was running brilliantly, as was the tracer unit. The TRMR never failed, unlike last time I used it.
It was, in short, a great deal of fun and taking the edge of the day for me.
Then I got hit in the face with a grenade. 
A TRMR, with a 9mm blank.
I was hiding round a corner, popped my head out and as I did, got smacked in the face by the TRMR. Which then went bang.
It was not pleasant. The noise was excruciating and the light was fairly awful too. 
I lost my balance and felt like hurling my guts up (I'm guessing from something to do with my inner ear?).
It was a bit of a shock, for me AND the other guy - he was very apologetic, but I said it was nowt to worry about, as it's all part of the game.
I am extraordinarily glad that I bought an i4 and wear it with a helmet. I cannot begin to imagine how much more that would have hurt had I been wearing my old mesh goggles.
I'm also in awe of anyone who fights in a real CQB environment - a 9mm going off so close to the face wasn't nice, so I can't begin to imagine what it's like with real rounds being shot all around you - let alone stun grenades etc....

Anyway - no1 takeaway from this - decent eye/facepro FTW! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been hit in the leg by one, luckily it didn't go off but they're certainly very solid and you definitley feel it- very lucky you had full on mask and helmet on and that would've done some damage I'm sure. Glad you're ok though and it does go to show how important head and face protection is- maybe consider getting some ear protection too if you play a lot of CQB and indoors stuff, definitely a worthwhile investment 

 

This is exactly why it annoys me so much when you see people from other countries with more lax rules on youtube lobbing their grenades over-arm all over the place, BFGs when used incorrectly are dangerous- I think people tend to forget that not everything we play with is a toy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

After a thoroughly shitty day yesterday, I thought I'd cheer myself up by going to Killhouse for a bit of CQB pewpew.
It was all going so well - ARP9 was running brilliantly, as was the tracer unit. The TRMR never failed, unlike last time I used it.
It was, in short, a great deal of fun and taking the edge of the day for me.
Then I got hit in the face with a grenade. 
A TRMR, with a 9mm blank.
I was hiding round a corner, popped my head out and as I did, got smacked in the face by the TRMR. Which then went bang.
It was not pleasant. The noise was excruciating and the light was fairly awful too. 
I lost my balance and felt like hurling my guts up (I'm guessing from something to do with my inner ear?).
It was a bit of a shock, for me AND the other guy - he was very apologetic, but I said it was nowt to worry about, as it's all part of the game.
I am extraordinarily glad that I bought an i4 and wear it with a helmet. I cannot begin to imagine how much more that would have hurt had I been wearing my old mesh goggles.
I'm also in awe of anyone who fights in a real CQB environment - a 9mm going off so close to the face wasn't nice, so I can't begin to imagine what it's like with real rounds being shot all around you - let alone stun grenades etc....

Anyway - no1 takeaway from this - decent eye/facepro FTW! 😁

 

This, ladies and gentlemen is why The Mall has such "draconian" rules on the use of solid state grenades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

 the other guy - he was very apologetic, but I said it was nowt to worry about, as it's all part of the game.

That was big of him 😉, I think id have stuck it up his arse while screaming "its all part of the game mate"........knobhead.

This is why most safety briefs tell you to roll or "post" grenades, not lob them above waist height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at serial 20 at Hythe ranges, me & 3 guys with our backs to a 12 Ft wall, all of a sudden one of yells & hits the deck, somebody had thrown a dynatec over the wall, right on his nut......shit hit the fan that day😈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreeing with all points given so far , just think about what your doing it takes a second or so to prep it for use so you do have time to think , your NOT going to get the shock reaction like you will with a gun . We’ve all been there , move round a corner not expecting anything untoward and there’s an enemy player standing there next thing you know it’s “shit ! burrpp ! sorry mate !” .

Not saying there aren’t any at all but for me when you come down to it there’s not really any excuses for impact injuries from training grenades . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I was hiding round a corner, popped my head out and as I did, got smacked in the face by the TRMR.

 

Ouch.  Were you crouching?  What height was it thrown at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

 

Ouch.  Were you crouching?  What height was it thrown at?

I was crouched. Knees bent. Head just above waist height...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I was crouched. Knees bent. Head just above waist height...

Aahh right wasn’t as much of a “you fuckwit !” Incident as it could have been (if you were standing ?) bit of forgive the guy then ! 👍😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tackle said:

I was at serial 20 at Hythe ranges, me & 3 guys with our backs to a 12 Ft wall, all of a sudden one of yells & hits the deck, somebody had thrown a dynatec over the wall, right on his nut......shit hit the fan that day😈

Serial 20.. that the old fort at the end? Used that many a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the multishot TRMR: 600 grams of aircraft grade aluminium and stainless steel standing in a cylinder 11cm tall by 4cm.

On 27/06/2018 at 09:37, Lozart said:

 

This, ladies and gentlemen is why The Mall has such "draconian" rules on the use of solid state grenades.

 

I like those rules, I once got my glove caught in my trmr, the grenade went off when it hit the ceiling. I reported myself after the game. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah that's the redoubt, used that a lot myself back when I was "in", but enjoyed it more when I got the chance to airsoft there 'bout 8yrs ago.

serial 20 is the walled village in the middle of Hythe ranges, bout 20 small houses etc there can be used, there a much bigger walled village on lydd ranges, serial 40, plus rype village in lydd camp, superb to play there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would add too, my first encounter with a solid state grenade was one which Sitting Duck's son threw which went off at my head height approx 50 cm from me. The tremble in the air was shocking, that was 9mm too.

 

IMO 9mm blanks should be banned from airsoft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have clearly never dropped a 12g magflash at your feet 😂 they’re awesome. Couldn’t see or hear for 20 mins, but it  was awesome 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch that sounds painful! I am pretty awful at throwing mine, so I tend to only roll or "bowl" it now! 

 

My first outing with my BFG I was struggling to remove the pin... finally got it removed and accidentally let the spoon go a bit. Thought I managed to "save" it.

I didn't.

9mm went off in my hand as I was crouching down to roll it down a corridor... 

My ears were ringing for about 30 min and I team killed myself along with around 5 other people :rolleyes:😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

IMO 9mm blanks should be banned from airsoft.

DAMN RIGHT, pisses me right off having to keep using girly 9mils in my dynatec, let's ban them & insist on my favorite 12gauge shotgun blanks instead 👍

 

#Choppersaysmanthefuckup😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tackle said:

DAMN RIGHT, pisses me right off having to keep using girly 9mils in my dynatec, let's ban them & insist on my favorite 12gauge shotgun blanks instead 👍

 

#Choppersaysmanthefuckup😝

 

I got ear damage when someone set one off in a safezone within a meter of me (I wear ear pro ingame). It's no laughing matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since a BB shattered on my mesh eye pro and the paint on the inside of the goggles came off into my eyeball, and a louder than usual (likely louder than legal) solid state went off near me leaving me with a ringing ear I have been reconsidering my face pro choices. 

This thread has reminded me to buy something!!

 

The mesh is defo going. Thought it was a bit of bb, really shit me up, tried my hardest not to blink until I was back at the safe zone, luckily it was in the corridor right by it. Also need some ear pro too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Since a BB shattered on my mesh eye pro and the paint on the inside of the goggles came off into my eyeball, and a louder than usual (likely louder than legal) solid state went off near me leaving me with a ringing ear I have been reconsidering my face pro choices. 

This thread has reminded me to buy something!!

 

The mesh is defo going. Thought it was a bit of bb, really shit me up, tried my hardest not to blink until I was back at the safe zone, luckily it was in the corridor right by it. Also need some ear pro too!

Dye i4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 98% sure thats the correct answer @ImTriggerHappy

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Dye i4

AMEN BROTHER! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not used Pyro yet, focusing on learning to aim first 😉

 

The walls were rocking in the Mall, I will be wearing earplugs next time.

 

I'm sticking with the paintball mask, though might rethink if it does hit 30 this weekend!

 

Cheers


G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

 

I got ear damage when someone set one off in a safezone within a meter of me (I wear ear pro ingame). It's no laughing matter. 

Wot a 9mm or a 12g ?, lf it was a 12g id understand, they've got some nuts on em but I've always found 9's to be fairly tame, been in very close proximity to 9's, including indoors, & never known anyone affected afterwards ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Wot a 9mm or a 12g ?, lf it was a 12g id understand, they've got some nuts on em but I've always found 9's to be fairly tame, been in very close proximity to 9's, including indoors, & never known anyone affected afterwards ?

 

9mm blanks are nasty, .209's are acceptable to me. My TRMR takes both but I never used 9mm in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×