Noob question about maintaining AEG

Polluxtroy69
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just wanting to know a bit about maintenance on an AEG. As in a service/MOT. I bought my gun second hand and would like to make sure it stays in tip top condition throughout my ownership.

So what o rings, rubbers (not them rubbers as I know what some of you are like), springs if any should I 've looking to replace and how frequent? 

It's a noob question so take it easy 😐

AEGs don't take a huge amount of maintenance - cleaning the barrel is a must, so use that cleaning rod, some alcohol and keep it nice and clear.

Make sure your mags stay clean, you don't want dirt getting into your hop up - I had some mags get full of dust one weekend and stripped and fully cleaned them.

In terms of the gearbox inside, they're pretty well sealed and if its been greased up well by the manufacturer then it should last a while without needing attention. Some expensive RIFs have a window for squirting in grease but grease should only be sparingly used.

The main spring shouldn't wear out for a while, it will lose a bit of power over time but that's to be expected. O-Rings should last and last in an AEG.

A wise man once said to me:if it ain't broke don't fix it.

General maintenance is something you can do without touching a screwdriver. I had to open up mine because of a jam. Fixed it and realised I don't like working on AEG's. 

Cheers lads. 

Just shortening the list of things I need and if I don't need to do much other than cleaning that keeps the list short. Which is always a good thing 😋😎

• Supporters

I wish I'd listened to him. He is indeed bigly wise.

+1 to only cleaning from the hop unit forwards.  If your hop rubber is worn or perished, you might consider throwing in a Maple Leaf, but other than that, don't try and "improve" anything that doesn't absolutely need it.

Archived