LiPo battery without plastic casing

callumbagshaw
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Quick question to you battery experts out there.

A mate of mine swapped his AEG for a HPA setup, thus rendering his "trusty" 11.1v LiPo useless to him and he donated it to me - what a guy! Or is he....?

The battery has had it's plastic casing  ripped off(the plasticy coating with all the info printed on it)  - exposing the bare metal of the battery underneath.

He says it's worked fine for a long time for him and not to worry but LiPo user guides say to discard the battery if the casing is damaged in any way.

Would duct/electrical taping the battery back up solve the issue?

I know to all of you who know your ohms from your watts may think this is a dumb question but I know very little about the electrical side of things and batteries - I don't claim to because they can bloody explode! I thought better to be safe than sorry.

For what it's worth it's a Nuprol 11.1v 20C 1200 MAH wired to deans.

Cheers,

Cal.

Wrapping the battery should in theory be fine, on the 'soft'case lipos its pretty much just heat shrink anyway. However personally I wouldn't risk it. I have see far too many lipos fail spectacularly in the RC world , and its bad enough in a helicopter that's a hundred yards away I certainly wouldn't want one going up in something I was holding (possibly close to my face) . Airsoft lipos aren't that expensive so not worth risking a gun or your health.

Yeah like others have said, ditch it mate - not worth the risk.

A new lipo, fully intact, is cheap enough.

Archived