Built this SR16 "Dark Knights" 15 years ago. What to update?

pietu
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys. I was an avid airsofter 15 years ago and built myself this modified full-metal M4 with integrated silencer. I stopped playing 12-13 years ago. Just found the gun from my storage and have been reading on what has changed since I built the gun. I don't have a battery for the gun currently but it probably needs a rebuild.

Here's the specs based on what I can remember:

- Base gun: Tokyo Marui M4A1

- Systema Full Metal Knight's SR16 receiver (this cost 200£ back in the day)

- Systema Full Metal Hop-up

- Systema M130 Full Tune Kit

- Systema High Speed motor

- Reinforced gearbox (Systema also?)

- Guarder inner barrel

- First Factory Dark Knights direct silencer mod

I've read about MOSFETs and buffers for cylinder head. Also there were no lipo batteries being used back when this gun was built. What should I do to the gun to bring it up to date? Do you guys think this gun is worth anything or is it just too old? I'd really appreciate your opinions.

- Pietu

IMG_7274.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

• Supporters

Are you asking about playing with it, or selling it?

Electrons still flow in the same direction, physics hasn't changed.  Maybe lube the gearbox, clean the barrel and check that the hop hasn't perished.  Throw in your lipo or life of choice and you're good to go...

21 minutes ago, pietu said:

- Systema M130 Full Tune Kit

- Systema High Speed motor 

... if you can find a site where you can use it.  M130 / 425fps+ in a full auto gun is way above what most sites will allow.

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Are you asking about playing with it, or selling it?

Electrons still flow in the same direction, physics hasn't changed.  Maybe lube the gearbox, clean the barrel and check that the hop hasn't perished.  Throw in your lipo or life of choice and you're good to go...

... if you can find a site where you can use it.  M130 / 425fps+ in a full auto gun is way above what most sites will allow.

Thanks for your reply! I would initially like to fix the gun for target practice and the likes. I remember having to use a large 12V nimh inside the buttstock so a smaller lipo would be an ideal upgrade. Just wondering if there are other easy updates I should do incase I'm taking the gun apart anyways. 

• Supporters

the fundamentals of AEG's haven't changed much, as rogerborg says assuming the internals are in good condition then drop in a mosfet and a 11.1 lipo and go wild.

only thing i'd suggest, not knowing exactly when they started coming in, is a delayer chip on the sector gear to prevent feeding issues at a higher rate of fire.

oh, and pls fix the trigger guard, it's triggering my ocd :P

39 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the fundamentals of AEG's haven't changed much, as rogerborg says assuming the internals are in good condition then drop in a mosfet and a 11.1 lipo and go wild.

only thing i'd suggest, not knowing exactly when they started coming in, is a delayer chip on the sector gear to prevent feeding issues at a higher rate of fire.

oh, and pls fix the trigger guard, it's triggering my ocd :P

Thanks for your reply! Is the mosfet a must have with the lipo? I will look into the delayer chip. Don't remember having feeding issues before with 12V nimh but maybe the 11.1V lipo cranks more due to higher ampage.

The trigger guard is off because we used to do winter games in Finland and needed thicker gloves. Will dig through boxes to see if I can find it to easen your ocd. 😉

47 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

I REALLY like that... looks awesome!!

Thanks buddy! I'm still happy with the looks of the gun, just needs a nice acog or rds on top!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, pietu said:

Thanks for your reply! Is the mosfet a must have with the lipo? I will look into the delayer chip. Don't remember having feeding issues before with 12V nimh but maybe the 11.1V lipo cranks more due to higher ampage.

The trigger guard is off because we used to do winter games in Finland and needed thicker gloves. Will dig through boxes to see if I can find it to easen your ocd. 😉

it's not a "must have" but the arcing around the trigger contacts will soon burn them out at the higher current draw which a decent mosfet will prevent.

and at least you have a decent reason for no trigger guard, i figured it broke off and wasnt replaced :P

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

... if you can find a site where you can use it.  M130 / 425fps+ in a full auto gun is way above what most sites will allow.  is legal in the UK.

Fixed that for you...

3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

it's not a "must have" but the arcing around the trigger contacts will soon burn them out at the higher current draw which a decent mosfet will prevent.

and at least you have a decent reason for no trigger guard, i figured it broke off and wasnt replaced :P

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like a mosfet is in order then. :) 

3 hours ago, Lozart said:

Fixed that for you...

The UK limit sounds sensible. As I mentioned in an earlier post the gun was used in Finland where there are no legal limits for airguns. :) The gun actually has a 1.7J spring which is the limit for most outdoors sites here. I chose this forum as I used to live and play airsoft in the UK and there seemed to be a wealth of knowledge here that is unmatched on the seemingly dead local airsoft forums. 👍

6 hours ago, pietu said:

winter games in Finland and needed thicker gloves.

If he's still in Finland differnt laws apply?

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

Fixed that for you...

• Supporters

1.7j in a full auto gun, bet everyone takes their hits lol.

Or is that to combat all the padded winter clothing ?

Ps, it looks great, old skool simplicity :D

Archived