Jump to content
Airsoft Forums UK

Recommended Posts

So in my quest to find something more enjoyable than my stubby JG M4 I have gone from Mini's to AK's to now this and I think this is where I am gonna aim.

 

I love the look, the length is more suited to my preference (ooo-err missus) and it just seems to be more upgradable than my other options. (which were the JG098 or the WeiTech Mini)

 

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/jg080-s-550-works-j-g?from=listing&campaign-id=21

080(17).JPG

(the longer version obvsly)

 

 

 

So what upgrades am I looking at. My initial thoughts are: Deans connectors, but then what?

 

Shall I also upgrade to the equivelent Lipo?

 

What about innards? Gear sets, inner barrel etc, rubbers and hops and all things I do not understand.,,...

 

Looking at £120 for the initial outlay, happily plug that again into upgrades at the very least.

 

 

 

 

@snuff what do you and your techy mate think of these?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, do deans & sort out your battery fitment, as for the other bits your considering, I'd take it to the shop below for a quote ?

 

retail-shop-store-if_it_ain_t_broke_don_t_fix_it-fixing-repairs-dre1105_low.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of yrs ago I had the JG 552 and it was a very nice gun , jump forward to January just gone and I got one from TG for ‘she who must be obeyed’s’ cousin , slapped a deans on it , stuck a 9.9v LiFe in it and it was running like a Japanese train ! Sounded lovely and smooth working , so I don’t think it needs any up-grading (but that’s a personal choice for the owner to decide on) . Ive always been of the ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix!’ School of thought . 

as to doing anything to make it  ‘LiPo ready’ , me personally? I think it’s a load of old bollox (could be wrong but I’ve never seen any evidence to prove me wrong) any gun can use LiPo , it’s just the voltage you have to sus out . If I was to stick an 11.1v in my stock TM recoil it’ll implode ! But then my G&G AFV refuses to eat anything BUT a 11.1v ! .

 

10 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Yep, do deans & sort out your battery fitment, as for the other bits your considering, I'd take it to the shop below for a quote ?

 

retail-shop-store-if_it_ain_t_broke_don_t_fix_it-fixing-repairs-dre1105_low.jpg

Hahaha posted as I wrote ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Yep, do deans & sort out your battery fitment, as for the other bits your considering, I'd take it to the shop below for a quote ?

 

retail-shop-store-if_it_ain_t_broke_don_t_fix_it-fixing-repairs-dre1105_low.jpg

 

14 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Couple of yrs ago I had the JG 552 and it was a very nice gun , jump forward to January just gone and I got one from TG for ‘she who must be obeyed’s’ cousin , slapped a deans on it , stuck a 9.9v LiFe in it and it was running like a Japanese train ! Sounded lovely and smooth working , so I don’t think it needs any up-grading (but that’s a personal choice for the owner to decide on) . Ive always been of the ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix!’ School of thought . 

as to doing anything to make it  ‘LiPo ready’ , me personally? I think it’s a load of old bollox (could be wrong but I’ve never seen any evidence to prove me wrong) any gun can use LiPo , it’s just the voltage you have to sus out . If I was to stick an 11.1v in my stock TM recoil it’ll implode ! But then my G&G AFV refuses to eat anything BUT a 11.1v ! .

 

Hahaha posted as I wrote ! 

 

Excellent. This is actually what I wanted to hear.

 

Hmm might even be able to get it earlier than September then if it's only gonna cost £120 plus the Lipo  (and I think my current nunchuk Lipo is same voltage so win win.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be aware though i think it is almost a one to one copy of the TM , the batt goes in the foreend and the battery compartment is tiny ! On mine and the new one we had I took out most of the battery carrier and what not inside the grip so I could fit a reasonable battery in it . 👍

Dremel for the win ! 😈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Be aware though i think it is almost a one to one copy of the TM , the batt goes in the foreend and the battery compartment is tiny ! On mine and the new one we had I took out most of the battery carrier and what not inside the grip so I could fit a reasonable battery in it . 👍

Dremel for the win ! 😈

 

I bet those TM SG550 are like rocking horse shit nowadays!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patrol Base have a sale, £4 less,  Does it take Stanag mags?

 

Cheers

 

G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duff said:

So in my quest to find something more enjoyable than my stubby JG M4 I have gone from Mini's to AK's to now this and I think this is where I am gonna aim.

 

I love the look, the length is more suited to my preference (ooo-err missus) and it just seems to be more upgradable than my other options. (which were the JG098 or the WeiTech Mini)

 

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/jg080-s-550-works-j-g?from=listing&campaign-id=21

080(17).JPG

(the longer version obvsly)

 

 

 

So what upgrades am I looking at. My initial thoughts are: Deans connectors, but then what?

 

Shall I also upgrade to the equivelent Lipo?

 

What about innards? Gear sets, inner barrel etc, rubbers and hops and all things I do not understand.,,...

 

Looking at £120 for the initial outlay, happily plug that again into upgrades at the very least.

 

 

 

 

@snuff what do you and your techy mate think of these?

He will be drooling all over it and you when he sees it..lipo to deans,obligatory tightbore and hop rubber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, snuff said:

He will be drooling all over it and you when he sees it..lipo to deans,obligatory tightbore and hop rubber

 

Are the tight bore and hop rubber upgrades really necessary? What sorta price am I looking at?

52 minutes ago, MisterG said:

Patrol Base have a sale, £4 less,  Does it take Stanag mags?

 

Cheers

 

G

 

No idea. Doesn't look like it to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Duff said:

 

Are the tight bore and hop rubber upgrades really necessary? What sorta price am I looking at?

 

No idea. Doesn't look like it to me.

Me personally don’t think it’ll need any up-grading  , but as I said up to owner in the end ! 😁

nope has its own Sig mags , the hi-caps are cheap as chips on TG and I don’t think it’s that much for a box of mids either (couldn’t have been that expencive , I bought a box and I’m a right tight arse when it comes to parting with beer tokens!) can’t remember wether they were king arms or Mag but I do remember once I’d cycled them they worked fine no probs .👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Me personally don’t think it’ll need any up-grading  , but as I said up to owner in the end ! 😁

nope has its own Sig mags , the hi-caps are cheap as chips on TG and I don’t think it’s that much for a box of mids either (couldn’t have been that expencive , I bought a box and I’m a right tight arse when it comes to parting with beer tokens!) can’t remember wether they were king arms or Mag but I do remember once I’d cycled them they worked fine no probs .👍

 

I'll see how it performs. I'd like to run it on Nimh, then Lipo to compare. Maybe I'll upgrade it down the road if I feel I'm not quite reaching my targets. 

 

What sorta scope? 4X or just a holo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH I try everything out of the box and upgrade if and when required..I look forward to being shot by it......😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it’s the longer barrel I’d say a 4X , think it would look a bit crap with a holo on . The 552 yes a holo as it’s more CQB but the 50 is more of a on the battle field an officer turns to a soldier and says “see that grubby looking fecker climbing the fence over there , shoot him ! “ sort of scenario .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend this instead: https://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152217118-JG080BL-I-Assault-Rifle-Replica.html

 

It has a metal receiver, and has EBB if you're into that kind of thing, I have one myself. As far as upgrades I rewired it, installed deans, hi-torque motor, 12:1 gear set, and shimmed it. I disabled the EBB as well, as the novelty soon wears off.

IMG_20171217_152908.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's your choice, I've bought from Taiwangun and Gunfire, both were seamless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Algy said:

I've bought from Taiwangun and Gunfire, both were seamless

 

Per my recent experience, I'd be cautious about ordering anything from GunFire that's showing as "very small quantity of stock".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any experience with the G&G S550?

 

18 hours ago, Algy said:

It's your choice, I've bought from Taiwangun and Gunfire, both were seamless.

 

I advocate TaiwanGun with gusto sir, but not gunfire.pl as their site is shit.

 

Isn't the only difference between the JG080 and JG080 BL the electric blowback? So really you bought a gun for a feature you turned off, then recommended I do the same? Ha! Pass...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The JG080 has a plastic receiver, the JG080BL has a metal receiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Algy said:

The JG080 has a plastic receiver, the JG080BL has a metal receiver.

 

Prefer the weight of a plastic receiver. Not like I'm gonna go around using it as a cudgel.

 

At least not when new...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d leave the gearbox alone. When I ran electric guns it was always:

 

clean the barrel

maple leaf hop rubber

7.4 lipo 

DONE

 

then replace parts when they eventually break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I’d leave the gearbox alone. When I ran electric guns it was always:

 

clean the barrel

maple leaf hop rubber

7.4 lipo 

DONE

 

then replace parts when they eventually break. 

A man of intelligence , and wise words to be heeded by all ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never get the up grading the gun as soon as you get it. I have rarely seen gun perform significantly better than stock gun to justify the expense of up grades. chose your gun wisely clean the barrel used good BBs and spend some time setting the hop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the most part that’s true, but the single best upgrade you can make to any airsoft gun is the bucking. It happens to be one of the cheapest too.

 

For example, my brother runs a cheap and cheerful jg g36c. Out of the box it ran great, and for £90 it was certainly money well spent. I spent £15 on a bucking and nub, cleaned the barrel and ran it off a 7.4 I had laying around and it could shoot at the same ranges as the NGRS scar H I had. For a total of £105 and a battery I had laying around, it was running just as well as a £500 gun. Still running to this day in fact.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigStew said:

I never get the up grading the gun as soon as you get it. I have rarely seen gun perform significantly better than stock gun to justify the expense of up grades. chose your gun wisely clean the barrel used good BBs and spend some time setting the hop.

It depends on what you mean by performance, and what you want to achieve by upgrading. By swapping out a few parts one can achieve snappy trigger response, or high rps etc. and the difference from most Chinese stock AEGs is pronounced.

 

But I agree, decent BBs, a polished barrel, and a good bucking are the most cost effective upgrades in terms of consistency/accuracy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×