40 Mike Gas Shell - 150 BB's in 0.3sec

ibo7
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

See it didn't take long for this to turn stupid.

If any site allows this then because of its controversial nature it should be queried in the brief if anyone objects. If they do then it shouldn't be used. 

Any player who gets hit by one whether within med or out who loses his shit and lashes out deserves what ever grief they take over it. Don't behave like children over airsoft.

Also I should just point out you two both have the mall down as a site you play at so as there is a possibility of you maybe meeting up please stop the insults. I would hate to think of the consequences of bad blood spilling into a game day.

Maybe once a year,  I don't really do skirmishes...hes on ignore now anyway he can go spin himself into a tizzy.  

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best thing to do if your site allows it is to get your head Marshall to stand there and take a blast of it. Once he’s had a taste then if he still wants to allow it, that’s your decision to stay. (As much as I’d also feel like tw@tting someone who shot me with it)

• Supporters
3 hours ago, proffrink said:

I was going to bring this up myself but thought it a silly place to shoehorn in the HPA argument.

I don't know about you but I (and indeed most) can cycle the trigger in less than a second (not a hard thing if you have a trigger with near zero resistance like solenoid HPA and AEGs have): If people using HPA want to they want they can fire bursts of 6-10 BBs at once. With this thing, however: One pulls the trigger and - according to the promotional material - fires 150 BBs in less than .33 of a second. If this is true then that's of course 450+ BB/s (a far cry from the 50 BB/s of some HPA). There's a consciousness of overshooting with certain HPA setups that you just don't get with this and that's why whilst both sets of people deserve scorn if they're hitting you with streams of 20+ BBs, this is just outright silly at closer ranges.

If you shoot this at someone who's under 10m away and hit them with even half the BBs then this is absolutely overshooting to most people. With an MED though I don't see a huge issue so long as you apply the same rule of the 'some idiot' who's cranked up their HPA.

my point is mostly based around the fact you can be a dick with pretty much anything in the airsoft arsenal, i'm pretty sure i could get the same reaction from the neck shot video from any of my aeg's and they aren't even that hot in the scheme of things (hence referencing the hpa's because you can crank those up to stupid rof's in full auto and be shooting hot at the same time).

it's not the product is the problem here, it's how we're assuming it'll be used by most players (helped by some botched marketing and some youtube darwinians).

for sure it's not a CQB thing, but then so's a lot of stuff in airsoft. it's not that much of an issue to me.

• Head Moderator
5 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Someone fires that at me from 15-20m away they are getting a punch in the gob.

Missing the emoji to show that this was not serious.  I appreciate the sentiment and do not take it seriously, especially based on your background in law enforcement.

4 hours ago, Duff said:

I was referring to his Alpha male "I'll smack a CUNT" bullshit bravado. 

The notional person using the 40 mike is the cunt.  However, this is where personal attack is escalated by poor choice of language.

4 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

And you are just being disagreeable, I wasn't being serious, you just seem to want to pick whatever I say to pieces for whatever reason you have.

Its far far from being an 'Alpha' male, as anyone who actually knows me will attest. 

Concur, based on empirical fact on the forum.

4 hours ago, Duff said:

Actualising physical assault because you're upset is pathetic and you deserve to have half the safezone descend on you.

I'm disagreeing with you because I disagree with your actions or intended actions in this scenario. Also because you seem to bite at the smallest thing.

Going back to the other thread, maybe if you exercised some grammar and literature skills you wouldn't come across as such an aggressive plebian. 

Pot calling kettle black - you are the most aggressive person on this forum; my perception from your tone and the language used.

4 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Also should have a comma after it.  Welcome to my ignore list, sole inhabitant....you.  Yet again, you miss the point I am making but by now that's become far too regular and boring to spell it out to you.

You may also want to get out more cos having 2k + posts since January is kind of sad...

Step away.  [That last riposte did make me laugh, my family is always trying to get me away from spending so long posting]

4 hours ago, Duff said:

You!? Lecturing me in grammar?

Off to fuck with you dickhead.

I read that as chav / common /plebian language.

3 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Also I should just point out you two both have the mall down as a site you play at so as there is a possibility of you maybe meeting up please stop the insults. I would hate to think of the consequences of bad blood spilling into a game day.

Good advice.

===========

I am putting this heated exchange down to the weather.   Currently swearing is permitted but that may need revision because being abusive does not add any value to posts, and this forum should be a place where we can respectfully discuss matters. Even ideas we do not like or understand.

I am too busy with real life to start dealing with forum grammar... And England are playing football tonight :)

• Supporters

Since the other thread got locked, I guess I'll have to spawn a new one.  This seems more news-ish than loadout but I guess we'll see.

Well, for a great example of how this thing can cause issues even with good intentions, I have to give Novritsch some traffic.  The salient incident is 35 seconds in.  A player targets a group at a reasonable range, but is surprised by someone breaking from cover a few metres away and instinctively hoses him down.  Ouch.

You can specify MEDs, you can say that shouldn't happen, but the demonstrable reality is that it will.  It's the weapon in your hand, you're keyed to shoot it, it's going to get shot.

He then uses it at a few metres range again, once for audible suppression, then fires again and walks the stream on target to "only" hit with 50 BBs or so.  Perhaps not unreasonable, but we're left to speculate on what would have happened if someone had stuck their head round that corner at the wrong time.  I don't usually like "what if?" arguments, but we've just seen it happen in the same video.

For bonus lulz, he then peppers a marshal while spraying other players.

I agree with Novritsch that if this is going to be used at a site, that full face protection and retention straps on eye protection should be mandatory.  But then I don't think that it should be used, for the reasons shown in that video.

I think if thing is to be used it can only be indirect fire actually use it as a mortar. 

Having walked round a corner and taken 3 BBs in a gloved finger at 2m, which hurt like hell and left the joint bruised,  I would not want to risk the same with 150.

And that's a hand, imagine mesh eye pro, ears, family jewels etc.

It's an accident waiting to happen.

1 minute ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

Is this that YouTube guy who thinks he's the dogs bollocks? 

Yes and within the first few seconds he "demonstrates" it in the safe zone where some people aren't wearing eye protection.

Just now, AndyDynamic said:

Yes and within the first few seconds he "demonstrates" in in the safe zone where some people aren't wearing eye protection.

I've seen some of his videos. He's a dick 

7 minutes ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

I've seen some of his videos. He's a dick 

Yep. "Safe zone" - loads it while in the middle of group, shoots it - camera swings round and a player is not wearing his eye pro. First few seconds.

• Supporters

Yup, that was Novritsch himself demonstrating a horrifyingly cavalier attitude to them.

The new video above is another player using one.  Despite not setting out to do so, he unloads it on someone at close range.  If these things are allowed on fields, then regardless of what rules / guidelines are put in place, that is going to happen.

• Head Moderator

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Since the other thread got locked, I guess I'll have to spawn a new one.  This seems more news-ish than loadout but I guess we'll see.

Merged these two topics back into one, and unlocked the original.

[Note to self, I must try harder @proffrink :)]

Wow...  

It reminds me of most dragon den participants, "just because you CAN make it, doesnt mean you SHOULD".. 

I think market research should have been done first, it does seem this is not a wanted item. I wouldnt buy one, but then I also dont really see the point in moscarts.

The stream of BBs at such a high ROF and velocity is a little worrying as the one thing we are always told in arisoft is to have control over where/who/what you shoot, your gun and the direction of the BBs. This is blind firing a whole midcap in less time than a sneeze!!

I wouldn't mind having a go with it at a target, I would not want to shoot it a a person.

I’m the first to tell people to “man the fuck up” but I wouldn’t be happy with this. Like I said before, it’s not the pain, it’s the damage it can potentially cause. Yes, you can be a dick with anything in airsoft, but it’s physically difficult to use this 40 mike responsibly. 

It came from peoples complaints that a standard grenade launcher was ineffective. TAG got it right in my opinion with their pyro rounds because it mimics the function of an actual launcher and has always been marketed for getting pryo down with a higher degree of accuracy and range. The 40 mike is the solution to a question nobody asked. If you want to hit something with a BB, the gun your grenade launcher is attached to is the best possible option. 

How did I miss this the last few weeks :D 

How many of you have tried one, or been on the receiving end yet? I really am looking forward to seeing more people view it in person before commenting as I'm starting to see a trickle of more positive reports of woodland sites and organisers allowing it, or at least permitting on certain events.

As @Wo1f suggested, at Invicta Battlefield the owner gets in front of the 40 Mike with other players at 20m to take the rounds before deciding the verdict (It's been allowed) and they're now getting one for a site prop for that grenadier role to stop stale games or help players push objectives/towers. 

It's all about using it correctly like all our kit, being aware of the environment to minimise risks and having respect for the players at the wrong other side of the barrel. 

I noticed BattleZone (based in Essex) put out a lengthy review (30~mins) the other day, comparing it with the alternatives. They shot one of the team at 10m and he hated it, which is why I said it sucks badly and it's rather ineffective use. But the sites need to decide what their player-base are like.

------

One thing has come from this, regardless of your stance on the 40 Mike.  In the UK, the trust and respect we hold for other players in the community is incredibly low.

I find it rather sad to see but at the same time, perhaps am fortunate that we very rarely have that experience when I play.

I don't know if it's due to the influx of players over the last few years, maybe its more regionally based on sites that have a different rule set or gameplay - or is it the social media and YouTuber mentality thats crept into our opinions of the game.

This game only works with respect and honour. That's true whether you're on the field in a skirmish, back in the safe zone or within our community on social media. I have to trust the players whether they're aside me or in front of me to play with the same amount of respect as I have for them. Be that taking their hits, shooting me appropriately or just handling the situation correctly. 

How many times have you seen a man down when every player in the vicinity drops kit to help out, that's the community I'm apart of - not the one which worries about overkilling, mis-use of their kit and the disrespect of their fellow players.

I know that's off topic, but it seems to be a key argument in the conversation.

My review of it for Airsoft Nation - 

BattleZone's review - 

Invicta Test Video/Promo:

Patrolbase employee posted this to their Instagram
the dreaded 40mike!!!! Used on site today by a player at the Halo Mill Proving Grounds. we simply gave him a minimum engagement distance and didn't allow it to be fired from cover and everyone was more than happy nd loved the crazy duck sound it made"

I definitely would ban it from a CQB site though personally.

13 minutes ago, Gtech said:

One thing has come from this, regardless of your stance on the 40 Mike.  In the UK, the trust and respect we hold for other players in the community is incredibly low.

God that's incredibly true for some sites I play at.
All I ever hear some days is "take your *^&%ing hit!"
meanwhile I'm watching bbs fall 5m short and bounce off the ground, not even reaching me.

Or calling my hit loudly and clearly, (ie: "Hit! Good shot!") raising my hand, and then getting a further 3 second burst to the facemask off the same guy that shot me because I didn't stand up in 0.5 of a second while I was lying down.

Heck, even a player marshal got accused of cheating by 6 different people.
But then can I trust these people to use a 40 Mike responsibly? and would they trust me?

Probably not because of their actions with just the AEGs alone.

24 minutes ago, Gtech said:

How many times have you seen a man down when every player in the vicinity drops kit to help out, that's the community I'm apart of - not the one which worries about overkilling, mis-use of their kit and the disrespect of their fellow players.

Just to show the difference in the community you have to what I experienced.
There was 1 man down I witnessed, enemy player stumbled while running down a hill and crashed into a tree, and I was the first player to drop my kit and run over, in the 30m I ran over while marshals were shouting for a ceasefire, I got sprayed to hell by my team and the enemy team.

Sorry but MED is still bullshit with this. It can absolutely destroy a pair of goggles within 10ft and that for me is a no no no NO NO NO!!!

If I get hit with one of these at a skirmish I'll shortly get banned from that site for taking the launcher and ramming it up the bastards ring piece.

I'd take a 500fps sniper at 10 metres al day over this thing ever going anywhere near a site.

Fuck that. Fuck it all the way and back again.

• Supporters

50 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

everyone was more than happy

Yes, I'm sure they didn't listen to a single misgiving or complaint.

The issue isn't whether it can be used sensibly, it's the consequences when someone messes it up, as per the previous page.

17 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Yes, I'm sure they didn't listen to a single misgiving or complaint.

The issue isn't whether it can be used sensibly, it's the consequences when someone messes it up, as per the previous page.

I was only quoting the words used in the post, can't do much more than that as I don't play there lol.

For my actual opinion on the 40 Mike.
I don't personally agree with the idea of it as a whole, I imagine this will be something that is allowed until they have "x" number of injuries and then banned. Whether people agree on it is personal opinion and I for one will still play at sites that allow it (although at the moment I play at 0 sites that allow it 😂 )

Don't get me wrong though, if someone point blanks me with one I will definitely not be happy, and said player will be reported and such. I will never personally own one to use in a skirmish as it is definitely unnecessary to use on a squishy target like a player.

End of the day, too me, it is one of those little fun things to own for a laugh in the target ranges, NOT for the skirmish.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Duff said:

Sorry but MED is still bullshit with this.

if that's bait then it's subtle enough for me to bite so well done, however MED isn't bullshit if it's applied properly.

a 30°+ lob shot it's going to land the same way the shower from a madbull does at much shorted ranges. hell a mate of mine regularly uses bean bags in his launcher which for sure will bleedin hurt if you blast someone point blank, but by the ancient art of not being a knob he's managed to avoid all complaints simply by only firing at very extended ranges such that his biggest issue is reminding people of the theoretical "blast zone".

it has no place in CQB for sure, but that doesn't mean it cant be used sensibly outdoors. i wouldn't let a few youtube darwin's cloud your judgement too much ;)

• Supporters

To be fair I’d take anything BattleZone say with a pinch of salt.... after getting peppered by them this weekend, full auto at under 10ft... there opinion is worth less than the shite on the bottom of my shoe.

Archived