Genuine Gas Masks for Airsoft Face Protection

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm currently looking at S10 Respirators (ex-Army Gas Mask which has just been phased out of British Military service,) to be used as a realistic full face protection mask.

It's quite an iconic British Respirator, however is it safe?..

Some variants of the S10 come with Polymer Lenses however apparently most S10's, particularly early variants, come with glass lenses which most Airsoft sites will likely deem unsafe. Now - there are safety outsets on Ebay, designed specifically for the S10, but they are quite expensive for a couple of re-enforced outsets.

Would you guys consider the Respirator safe without the addition of the Outsets? Or no.

edit: a lot of people could argue that "they were designed for the military so they surely should be safe" but im not eager to have glass in my eyes.

Only way to know for certain would be to buy 1 and test it against an overpowered rifle... Like a sniper set at 5J.

I would be tempted to put some sticky back plastic on the lenses either way so that if they do brake they don't shatter into your eyes.

But why on earth would you want to?

You would be baggage, on the floor, dying in minutes few. The airflow is horrific.

You could perhaps modify it to increase airflow.

I dunno.

Rather you than me that's for certain...

Get a gasmask designed to be used as an airsoft face protection with rated or see it the very least, mesh eyes.

Using a real gas mask will impact your game in a negative way.

I started off with a full face mask and it nearly put me off altogether because I just couldn't see and was too hot and stifled. I imagine a real gas mask to suck real hard compared to a full facepro mask.

1 minute ago, Seven said:

You would be baggage, on the floor, dying in minutes few. The airflow is horrific.

I am aware that there has always been complaints about the breath-ability of the respirator, even from the servicemen who used them themselves.

However, I am striving for a fully realistic pre-2013 British Army Infantry loadout by the end of the year, including Respirator. I already have a Mk. 6 helmet, by the end of the year I'm aiming to phase out the M4 I currently use for an SA80.

5 minutes ago, Seven said:

On a side note... They are SUPER fkin hard to fog up!

Literally the only positive experience I can think of...

Ah well scratch most of my post then.

Just now, Seven said:

On a side note... They are SUPER fkin hard to fog up!

Literally the only positive experience I can think of...

That's exactly the reason why I'd love to use it. 

It maintains realism while most of the time not fogging up.

1 minute ago, proffrink said:

I wouldn't wear any eyepro without the appropriate rating. Don't put a price on your eyesight.

Shooting it at home isn't a good enough test for this.

Best practice right here ^^

Hey guys as a side one, if anybody wanted a reference to the Airsoft "Safety Outlets" they are here.

out.png

6 minutes ago, British_Squaddie said:

Hey guys as a side one, if anybody wanted a reference to the Airsoft "Safety Outlets" they are here.

out.png

Just found this with my Google-Fu!

Screenshot_20180622-185543.png

No they are not, the lenses on an S10 are not ballistic rated. A bb will penetrate them. Bloke called Heroshark on the Z1 forums does a lovely job of  replacing the original lenses with either mesh or ballistic rated polycarb. 

However theyre uncomfortable as fuck and you will get sick of wearing one after a few minutes, the airflow is crap, youll be hot and sweaty, struggling to breathe and unable to look down sights properly. Theres a reason most real squaddies hate CBRNE drills. 

You can have a "realistic" loadout without having a super try-hard tacticool respirator, funnily enough troops dont wear them all the time. 

11 minutes ago, British_Squaddie said:

I am aware that there has always been complaints about the breath-ability of the respirator, even from the servicemen who used them themselves.

However, I am striving for a fully realistic pre-2013 British Army Infantry loadout by the end of the year, including Respirator. I already have a Mk. 6 helmet, by the end of the year I'm aiming to phase out the M4 I currently use for an SA80.

I has SA80 for sale. Electric blowback too.

Also - If you're going for a pre-2013 Inf loadout, I'd advise not bothering with the respirator. Go for your bog-standard infantry guy, front line shit. Helmet, camos, gloves, yoke system for carrying ya mags and other general equipment.

I went full imitation and believe me, sometimes the most realistic set up is the most non-standard. Look at a lot of squaddies (especially SF type dudes) who were out in Ir/Afg. Absolutely 0 uniforminity in camo (for reasons), minimum gear as possible, and unless in combat, no helmet. Why? MK6's are cumbersome as shit and couple that with the lower face mask, suddenly turn into a fucking respirator itself anyway.

Trust me on this - leave the respirator. And try not to get carried away. Otherwise you'll be hiking a 90lb Bergen all over the playing field and wondering why you have knee issues and your quads feel like they're on fire.

8 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

Why? MK6's are cumbersome as shit and couple that with the lower face mask, suddenly turn into a fucking respirator itself anyway.

Yeah.

In all honesty I just wish I could wear a balaclava with my MK6 however most sites require full face mask as I am under 18.

3 minutes ago, British_Squaddie said:

Yeah.

In all honesty I just wish I could wear a balaclava with my MK6 however most sites require full face mask as I am under 18.

Technically you still could - Just have a face mask over it. Would be a bit pointless but yeah, you could.

Also I question why you'd run a bally if you're going for an infantry look

5 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

Also I question why you'd run a bally if you're going for an infantry look

I guess to give the re-assurance to the Marshals that I'm wearing some sort of full-face protection underneath.

1 minute ago, British_Squaddie said:

I guess to give the re-assurance to the Marshals that I'm wearing some sort of full-face protection underneath.

But it wouldn't make a difference. If you're u18 they need to see the mesh/full blown facial shit, if you're o18 then it really doesn't matter whether you have face pro on or not.

2 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

But it wouldn't make a difference. If you're u18 they need to see the mesh/full blown facial shit, if you're o18 then it really doesn't matter whether you have face pro on or not.

Yeah, this is where the S10 comes into play;

It offers full face protection, assuming I go ahead and buy safety outsets or replacement lenses, meanwhile suiting the infantry look with a more CBRN twist.

Just now, British_Squaddie said:

Yeah, this is where the S10 comes into play;

It offers full face protection, assuming I go ahead and buy safety outsets or replacement lenses, meanwhile suiting the infantry look with a more CBRN twist.

I dunno any inf squaddie that wore a respirator enough to even consider putting it into an airsoft imitation setup

22 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

I has SA80 for sale. Electric blowback too.

I went full imitation and believe me, sometimes the most realistic set up is the most non-standard. Look at a lot of squaddies (especially SF type dudes) who were out in Ir/Afg. Absolutely 0 uniforminity in camo (for reasons), minimum gear as possible, and unless in combat, no helmet. Why? MK6's are cumbersome as shit and couple that with the lower face mask, suddenly turn into a fucking respirator itself anyway.

I started out like this all MTP, osprey etc.  Was planning to get a MK6 helmet, saw the weight and decided to get a plastic M88 helmet and just put the cover on.  Even than gets hot and uncomfortable in summer and when really hot a ditch it for an MTP ballcap.

What you propose will look great in photos, not so great when you have to start using it in anger.

Cheers

G

Just now, MisterG said:

I started out like this all MTP, osprey etc.  Was planning to get a MK6 helmet, saw the weight and decided to get a plastic M88 helmet and just put the cover on.  Even than gets hot and uncomfortable in summer and when really hot a ditch it for an MTP ballcap.

What you propose will look great in photos, not so great when you have to start using it in anger.

Cheers

G

The MK6 is bad enough until you put on a bit of lower face pro and then suddenly it's unbearable (for me anyway). Whenever I use it at a milsim event I have the lower face pro resting on the helmet till I run into an engagement, then I drop it.

I don't use the MK6 for skirmish fights. Much prefer a boonie

Sorry, bad formatting - What you propose will look great in photos, not so great when you have to start using it in anger. - was directed at the OP,

On the whole face protection; few sites I've been to it has to be an all in one type so not half and half, and balaclavas don't count towards lower face pro.. just saying. 

Archived