Are LMGs worth it?

kasaran
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Considering the extra cost, size and weight, are they worth getting since any high cap m4 could do the same job? Ignoring milsim use that is.

Can't really comment on actual LMG, but I have used an ARP9 with a 1500 round drum mag in a suppression role - soooooooo much fun! And ridiculously light too!
Aside for a milsim, I can't really see the point of a LMG when you can get the same effect in a much, much smaller package.

• Supporters

Assuming the site you play lets you actually use full auto properly they are hilariously good fun to use.

2 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

, I can't really see the point of a LMG when you can get the same effect in a much, much smaller package.

It's not actually the same though. Your ARP9 drum mag - 1500 rounds. My M249 box mag - 2500 rounds. Suppression for DAAAAAAAAYYYS!!!

9 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Assuming the site you play lets you actually use full auto properly they are hilariously good fun to use.

It's not actually the same though. Your ARP9 drum mag - 1500 rounds. My M249 box mag - 2500 rounds. Suppression for DAAAAAAAAYYYS!!!

That's true. But I guess it's a weight trade off , as well as an ammo trade off - The ARP 9 is ridiculously light.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

That's true. But I guess it's a weight trade off , as well as an ammo trade off - The ARP 9 is ridiculously light.

True....but it's just not an LMG. There's an amount of intimidation factor to take into account with an LMG too.

The number of times I've rocked up to a game briefing with my M249 resting on my shoulder to hear "oh fuck, have you seen what he's carrying?" from the other team....

Being able to spray off 2000 or so rounds without winding is super fun. Also, a lot of the sites I go to have a 2-second burst rule for AEGs; LMGs with a bipod deployed get 4 seconds. So for me, it's definitely a different playstyle, and you can make a difference with the sheer amount of plastic you can put down range over a regular AEG.

As far as 'drum-mag on an M4 vs full LMG', well, I suppose both can do the same job. I think it's more of what you prefer to hold when playing the role. Personally I like the idea of a big LMG, in the same way I like the idea of steel bodies on AKs and things like that. It just feels better to hold. It's all preference, and I don't think I'd get the same 'support gunner' feel out of an M4 with a drug mag. Plus, no-one stops to look at an M4 in the safe-zone. I've had people queue up to hold my M60 before 😆

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Lozart said:

My M249 box mag - 2500 rounds

M4 double drum mag - 3000 rounds.

Is anything airsoft related really "worth" getting?  If you want it, if it brings you pleasure, sure.

As Roger said, we're just playing with toys in the shape of guns that spit out plastic BB's.

If it makes you happy holding a particular shape then why not.  Take care of it and you can sell it later...

I found the ICS L85A2 a bit heavy...

...so probably not a great idea to buy an M60 but it was such a good price and always wanted one :D

Remember that support guns have heavy duty gearboxes to cope with the amount of use.

I second what EDcase says with regards to most dedicated airsoft lmg do come with a gearbox that can take the increased strain of constant and prolong full auto firing. 

I personally run an A&K PKM slightly upgraded and 5000 round box mag makes for an ideal, support weapon and at only 8kg full loaded it not to bad to lug into position and move up with the advance push or withdraw.   

But the G&G GMG-42 that I also run is (  which I personly believe)  designed from the ground up to be one of the best support weapons out of the box currently on the market the lct PKP might give it a run for its money but I have not seen any reviews or got hold of one yet. The only thing that lets the mg-42  it down, in my opinion, is the 1200rd drum mag G&G seemed to over overengineered it in my opinion and the 12kg  when full loaded puts people off.    

• Supporters

I’ve got an A&K 249 that was up-graded to within an inch of its life by its previous owner (I’m a total Neanderthal with internals)  and it has ridiculous range and rate of fire too it ! 

So when I run it I mix my ammo .2’s and .25’s so you get a nice spread when your trying to suppress an area and as others have said due to its slightly ‘beefier’ gearbox once I’ve found my spot I can just lay there squirting out 3sec bursts till the cows come home ! So I’d say yes there’s definitely a place for a good support gun in Airsoft .

• Supporters

they can be awesome fun if employed properly- open ground suppression or ambushing. if your team works with you then you can easily hold an area almost indefinitely.

i borrowed a mates m60 once and it was the only time i didn't get annoyed by blatant cheating as after the first 20 respawns per person the enemy team gave up and just stopped taking hits from me. i'd already had my fun and felt sorry for their hopeless plight of running into a swarm of angry bees. it's what motivated me to get the mg.

thing is, they don't do anything an arp9 with a drum mag won't do for much less weight. really the only advantage to a full size lmg is the realism factor, which it's up to you if you want that or not. that said, nothing turns heads like a massive freakin gun.

• Supporters

Had an A&K M60 for around 14months. It’s definatley a marmite gun.

The weight and size sucks, the barrel length, and full auto only is a pain in the but.

BUT

Intimidation, sheer fear inducing panic, almost unlimited rounds, and a massive smile on your face do counter act these.

Never had anyone not take there hits with that gun, I just kept firing till they took it,(eventually only brought it out when hit taking became an issue).

So it may come as a surprise that in my honest opinion it is not worth getting one. A simple M4 with a drum mag, or multiple hi caps, or if you have a resident genius like @rocketdogbert, a remote Drum mag,  is lighter, more useable(can use semi in those CQB areas) and just nicer to use!

Archived