Bungie or normal slings?

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I probably don;t need to say I'm asking about single and two point slings.

Are bungies worth it, or do they create more problems?

Do soldiers use them?

I'm struggling to see what benefits they have.

But am open to being persuaded.

The answer to this depends user to user.

Single Point Sling (bungee or not) are generally better for shorter periods of use due to the fact they distribute the weight of the weapon (in this case RIF) poorly. However, are great for being able to quickly transition between shoulders and general ease of manoeuvrability. Obviously with a single point, if you let go for whatever reason then there is less control over what its going to swing into. However, if you do let go in case of a stoppage, it will swing naturally to the 'south' position and drawing of a secondary weapon will be easier.

A Single Point sling will also not interfere with your support hand when shooting and it will also need no adjustments whilst in use.

Adding the bungee element to this just gives you more flexibility and manoeuvrability but also increases the poor distribution of weight and how much it will be able to swing around if not under the users control.

Two Point Slings allow the weapon to be carried in multiple ways and distribute weight much more evenly. However, transitioning between shoulders then becomes an issue and depending on how tight the sling is set up, transitioning between weapon systems can also be more awkward (although still achievable). 

A lot of two point slings nowadays come with some sort of quick adjustment feature. Usually a buckle or some fancy tensioner tab. This allows it to be carried nice and tight to the body for best weight distribution and comfort and in one swift motion release it to a longer length for operating the weapon system.

Bungee parts of a two point sling again allow the user a bit more instant manoeuvrability at the sacrifice of comfort and control when not held.

If you are using this for simple pick up skirmish games. Personally I would (and do) go with a Single Point Sling as you put it on at the start of the game, run around pew pewing and then take it off at the end with no issues.

If you are doing mil-sims or longer days then a good Two Point Sling would probably be best. They don't need to necessarily have any fancy buckles or tensioners to be workable. Even a simple strap two point sling, adjusted to the right length that the weapon system can be shouldered if required will still be just as flexible. Just instead of using said fancy buckles you will simply have to duck your support hand out of the sling and basically make it a single point sling hanging from your neck for a short period. Obviously not advised for just general carriage as you will end up with a busted neck. This does however then make shoulder transitions workable.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

normal sling every day of the week, bungee slings just give the gun enough room to bounce around and smack into you.

/thread.

Mine's a regret purchase.  If you run it short enough that you need to use the bungie stretch when shouldering the gun, it's a strain to do so.  But at the same time, it's not strong enough to hold the gun tightly when running, and it bounces around.  It's a poor compromise.

I run a single point for my CQB gun as it allows me to shoulder the gun quickly left or right and it hangs to one side, not straight down the middle of my chest, it allows me to quickly transition from the rifle to pistol.

I also run a 2 point sling for my M4, but only when I have the M320 launcher attached, as the excess weight makes a single point sling uncomfortable.  Though the weight distribution is better with the 2 point and I can transition to my pistol quickly as well, I can't switch from shoulder to shoulder as well as the single point sling.

Will probably try a 3 point sling in the future as well as watching some of the video's on YT, it does seem handy for carrying....but it all depends on what gun your using and what situation your playing in.

I have a single bungee and it annoys the everloving piss outta me. It's barely a bungee really but it was really annoying last skirmish. Even with my rifle hanging to the side it still got in the way. I don't think I'll even bother with a sling next time.

• Supporters

Bungee slings are the work of the devil. Except not the cool Slayer/Lucifer TV series/sexy succubi type of devil, no. The "give you genital warts on the day of your first date" devil. The one that puts slow walking people all over the pavement when you're in a rush. The one that invented spell check on mobile phones so that people no longer care if it's "bought" or "brought" because they both pass the spellcheck.

*MASSIVE AIRSOFT SNOBBERY ALERT*

Bungee slings are one of the things I see and think "you have no clue, do you?", along with whole sets of Viper gear or when someone says "I've just played my first game, how do I buy a licence".

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Bungee slings are one of the things I see and think "you have no clue, do you?"

I'll often try things out of perversity to see if they're really as bad as folk say.

Sometimes they're not, but in this case, they are indeed Satan's black worm spooge.

• Supporters

I actually don't mind them, but I think a lot depends on the gat your using & your playing style, I'm kinda "slowly slowly catchee monkey" (aka camo'd slug).

Jayjay summed it up pretty well.

I found that having a single point bungie is good when walking or waiting around but I always hold the rifle when running.  (Quick release is useful too)

A single point sling of any kind is not great for running around. Its good to be able to 'drop' your rifle while going for a secondary.

If you want to secure a rifle while moving fast then a 2 or 3 point sling is the way to go.

I appreciate you all relating your experiences. You have confirmed my worries about the utility of the bungie slings.

I have a two point canvas sling on my AK and intend to keep it that way as the gun is quite heavy.

I was just wondering what would be best for a lighter gun - a short M4 for example.

Are the two point slings that allow you to transition to single point any good?  

I was looking at the Emmerson one on here:

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/gun-slings/two-point-rifle-slings.html

Bit pricey for an Emmerson though. Or maybe not. I don't know.

So the one you have highlighted there is essentially a less fancy quick adjustment. 

Instead of using a buckle it has D rings on the side that would be attached to the centre/rear of your weapon system.

The front attachment can then be placed either on the front of your weapon system (2 point sling) or un hooked and hooked onto the d rings (1 point sling).

Any two point sling with a buckle or tensioner tab works in a similar way apart from both ends remain attached to the weapon system and once the buckle is undone, the sling will slide back to the rear hook, essentially meaning all manipulation of the wrapon system on the sling is done around a single axis at the rear, like a single point.

Kind of hard to explain that having just got in from work so hope it makes sense.

Found this video which covers everything you would probably want to know and explains all what ive said alot more simply with demonstrations.

He refers to the 2 point sling with quick release buckles as a 3 point sling - ive heard them called both 2 point and 3 point slings.

Some go with how many points of contact there are on the weapon system(2). Others include the shooter as a point of contact also. Differing from the tradional two point sling as there is no material running along the length of the weapon system.

1 hour ago, Jayjay said:

Found this video which covers everything you would probably want to know and explains all what ive said alot more simply with demonstrations.

He refers to the 2 point sling with quick release buckles as a 3 point sling - ive heard them called both 2 point and 3 point slings.

Some go with how many points of contact there are on the weapon system(2). Others include the shooter as a point of contact also. Differing from the tradional two point sling as there is no material running along the length of the weapon system.

Going by that dude in the videos definitions we used the 3 point sling in the British army but the 2 point sling with the quick sinch is quite similar.

Being that I used the 3 point style for so long its second nature and my preferred setup but it does have its disadvantages like the sling snagging on pieces of equipment on your body such as webbing, which CAN hinder your speed in bringing your weapon to bear but as long as your mindful of what's going on its easily avoided.

The advantages are nice though. Such as, and this is not demonstrated in that video, but you can wear the rifle like a backpack. As the sling runs the entire length of the rifle plus the normal loop you can separate the sling into 2 loops and put an arm through each.

This is excellent for navigating especially challenging terrain while keeping your weapon as safe from damage as possible. This is how we carried our rifle on the obstacle course and it's very stable and tight to the back.

In the normal every day configuration as demonstrated in the video it can also be sling to the side or the back in both the tight and, by releasing the buckle, the extended positions and while in the tight config is quite stable.

Again it's very much dependant on preference and application.

Personally for an AR I would prefer the 3 point but when the time comes for a sniper im going to try the 2 point without the quick sinch and see how that goes.

This video pretty much covers how I would run a sniper sling. Will probably take me some time to get used to it but it seems very good for multiple scenarios.

Archived