Your replies have been merged.

Lozart
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Root Admin

Actually we're really not. I can do you a mockup if you'd like, but you'd be surprised how much padding is in each post reply. Also remember that threads tick over into a new page after 25 posts (irrespective of how little content is in each of them) to save on load times and the like.

Additionally, there are a lot of - to put it lightly - lazy posters who will (and have) exploited this in the past with single sentence streams of consciousness that quickly use up a lot of space because only 30% of the available box (already height constrained by their profile) is used up. That previous post with quotes is far from always the case.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Multi-post is there for a reason and means you gather everything from that author in one shot. You expect a new post to belong to someone else. A properly multi-quoted post is a thing to behold and the very reason the system exists. Creating a new post every time takes up more space both in terms of screen space, behind the scenes and forces people to scroll further. 

• Moderators

Where was question 2???? only see 1 and 3!!

can we do one next where pics / links are removed as that’s also annoying.... if not already done...... one of my gripes in my previous mod days :lol:

• Moderators

Must be a system error, or can’t count!!

I was thinking of removing them on replies/quotes 

truncated is ok :)

Does it use more ‘space’..???

• Moderators

Yeah I have seen it, just bit hectic work at mo so prob not focussed enough!! Thanks for doing it, it has helped on the mobile, I guess it can be useful to keep the quotes pics thinking about it so we know what we are referring to :)

was my no.1 hate!!!! ...... as you know!

• Root Admin

If you quote someone - irrespective of how or where (with the exception being in PMs - you'll get a notification. As far as I'm aware, this will happen in merged posts too and internally for PMs.

The issue with PM merging is that they won't get the usual email as far as I know. I'm looking into this as I think we can all agree that post merging in PMs is silly, but it appears to be easier said than done to disable it just in PMs.

• Moderators

Quite like the ability to edit PMs, although need to do it quick before it’s read ;)

• Moderators

Yeah I know :), just like it :D

I don’t think it’s worth merging PMs , most people probably delete them after a while, forum posts need different kind of management 

Sorry on phone and struggling to read tonight!!

• Supporters
12 hours ago, djben9 said:

most people probably delete them after a while 

With the exception of sales that's exactly what I do. No point hoarding messages from months ago when the topic is dead. Just wastes my precious storage. 

Speaking of which does the forum log a record of all PMs @proffrink? Can admins access these if there's a dispute?

• Root Admin

The forums log things like your use of the PM system, but not the PM itself. in theory there is the ability to log in as a user and read their PMs but that's never something that mods would have the power to do or indeed that I'd ever do. You'll have to take my word on that of course, but believe me when I say that nothing bores me more than the thought of reading any of our members PMs for any length of time.

We added some clarification on this in the rules not long back and the admission was made that we'll never be able to resolve disputes if someone tries hard enough. What we can do is request that a scammer make a thread in a private area (which a moderator or admin can create for them) so that we can see they're not just ignoring messages.

@djben9 You still have the wrong idea on what post merging is. Remember PMs act as threads in their own right, so when you reply to one you're essentially 'posting' within that PM. Make two 'posts' within 15 minutes and they get merged (even within PMs), which is a problem uniquely in PMs because most users are notified via email with that 'post' - if two 'posts' are merged within a PM, a second email is not sent and you'll get no notification on the forums either. This isn't a problem with threads.

It won't merge 'conversations', which I think is what you were talking about given the reference to deleting them. Your PM inbox is limited by the number of conversations that you can have stored at any one time. Not the posts/PMs within those conversations.

• Moderators

yeah see what you mean now ;) 

tbh ive probably not seen / experienced it as much as im not one for posting quickly, usually edit if needed :)

im now going to slowly step back towards the shadows!!

Archived