Your replies have been merged.

Lozart
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Can we PLEASE turn this off? It's utterly rage inducing when you're trying to reply to multiple people answering multiple questions!

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Can we PLEASE turn this off? It's utterly rage inducing when you're trying to reply to multiple people answering multiple questions!

It's a little irritating at times but you can always edit in the quote and the person will still be notified of it. 

edit: Just to clarify I don't mean editing your original comment to respond to replies made after it, just the ones above it. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Gepard said:

It's a little irritating at times but you can always edit in the quote and the person will still be notified of it. 

But why should I have to edit my post twice? Just turn the damn thing off so it posts the replies properly. 

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Lozart said:

But why should I have to edit my post twice? Just turn the damn thing off so it posts the replies properly. 

I can reply instantly to a comment posted after mine. Anything above mine and I just reply with new line. I don't have to edit anything twice, just make sure I've formatted my comment to include the people I'm replying to. 

You don't need 5 comments to reply to 5 people, just the one. That's how I see it anyway. 

• Mostly Retired Moderators

The other annoying thing it does when it Merges posts is it doesn't leave a line between your previous post and the newer merged post.

So you could have a new paragraph talking about a different point but it's in the same paragraph...

Like this (The newer merged post is in the light grey colour)

Oh fuck.. it did it properly that time... 

Then what in the fuck... 

But not that time..

Hmmm.

Nor that time..

What If I leave a space before typing the new post..

Bingo!

I find it annoying tbh.  If I wanted to add to a post, I would edit it.  I'm always editing anyway as I tend to proof read after I post!

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Gepard said:

I can reply instantly to a comment posted after mine. Anything above my comment I just reply within that new one. I don't have to edit anything twice, just make sure I've formatted my comment to include the people I'm replying to. 

You don't need 5 comments to reply to 5 people, just the one. That's how I see it anyway. 

I'm not saying you're wrong.....but you're wrong ;)

Thing is, from a personal point of view, if I have made a comment then the person I'm commenting to replies to 5 separate other people it becomes difficult to follow the conversation if you have to read the 5 other answers all bundled into the same reply. I am fully aware that the quoting function labels the person you're replying to but I just don't see the merit in unnecessarily pruning replies that would be far easier to follow if they were separated.

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I'm not saying you're wrong.....but you're wrong ;)

Thing is, from a personal point of view, if I have made a comment then the person I'm commenting to replies to 5 separate other people it becomes difficult to follow the conversation if you have to read the 5 other answers all bundled into the same reply. I am fully aware that the quoting function labels the person you're replying to but I just don't see the merit in unnecessarily pruning replies that would be far easier to follow if they were separated.

How am I wrong exactly? I just don't see how it's better to have 5 separate comments right after another to reply to 5 people when you could format a single comment with the quotes and your reply to each one. It doesn't make following the conversation any harder. You don't have to read the other people's comments (though you should have already if you've been following the conversation) you just need to look for your quoted comment and the reply beneath it. Takes like 2 seconds. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Gepard said:

How am I wrong exactly? I just don't see how it's better to have 5 separate comments right after another to reply to 5 people when you could format a single comment with the quotes and your reply to each one. It doesn't make following the conversation any harder. You don't have to read the other people's comments (though you should have already if you've been following the conversation) you just need to look for your quoted comment and the reply beneath it. 

Just to clarify I don't mean editing your original comment to respond to replies made after it, just the ones above it. 

That was a poorly judged bit of comedy based solely on you disagreeing with me. I'll try harder next time. Promise.

It's this bit that I take issue with though: " you just need to look for your quoted comment and the reply beneath it. " My whole point is that I shouldn't have to search through a post to find the bit that's relevant to me. If the posts were individual I can click on the "XYZ quoted you" notification and go straight to it. Which is patently easier to follow.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Lozart said:

That was a poorly judged bit of comedy based solely on you disagreeing with me. I'll try harder next time. Promise.

It's this bit that I take issue with though: " you just need to look for your quoted comment and the reply beneath it. " My whole point is that I shouldn't have to search through a post to find the bit that's relevant to me. If the posts were individual I can click on the "XYZ quoted you" notification and go straight to it. Which is patently easier to follow.

Ah, my bad. Sometimes judging comments with comedic intent is hard over text. :)

Agree with you there mate, it is easier for you to find your comment with the notification. I'm just thinking about others reading the thread. Comments add up and a post can be dragged out several pages due to exactly this. Perhaps there could be a way to implement it where your quote is highlighted in a different colour? Would nail two birds with one stone. 

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Comments add up and a post can be dragged out several pages due to exactly this. Perhaps there could be a way to implement it where your quote is highlighted in a different colour? Would nail two birds with one stone. 

How would you know what colour the content relevant to you is?

In terms of thread sprawl I really don't see that we suffer too badly from that here. If we're short of server space I'd far rather that old threads were archived off than current ones be needlessly shortened.

• Supporters
On 6/20/2018 at 12:29 PM, Lozart said:

How would you know what colour the content relevant to you is?

In terms of thread sprawl I really don't see that we suffer too badly from that here. If we're short of server space I'd far rather that old threads were archived off than current ones be needlessly shortened.

I was thinking that perhaps if your quote was highlighted the reply beneath it would be easier to see at a first glance. Probably a dumb idea but eh, it's a non-issue for me anyway whatever people decide on.

• Root Admin

Will put up a poll about this to run for a week.

52 minutes ago, MisterG said:

I find it annoying tbh.  If I wanted to add to a post, I would edit it.  I'm always editing anyway as I tend to proof read after I post!

Not sure what you mean by this as you can still do that. Automerge is meant to deal with double-posting and people are are quite the opposite of what you're saying (i.e. prefer to double post over just editing their post like they should be).

There is also the multiquote button and the ability to drag and select text before quoting it.

Maybe I use the forums differently, but what I meant was I would edit a post if I wanted to add to a specific post, i would not double post to add more too that specific post.

If I post twice it will be because I am replying to a differernt post in the same thread, so to Lozart's point is becomes muddled when it all get's merged together. It's like having two or more conversations at the same time 😉

• Root Admin

Hm, alright.

I suppose I'm not sure how it becomes muddled if you're replying to someone. If you're replying to someone how do they know it's them you're speaking to unless you quote them? If you're quoting them then how does a merge confuse things? If you're not quoting how do they know anyway unless their reply is above yours?

Posts won't merge if someone made a post between you making your first and second reply (irrespective of how long you wait to respond), so you can still have a quickfire conversation in threads.

This was to stop excessive double (and sometimes triple) posting that some newer forums members did. It could be argued this was catering to the lowest common denominator though as many people aren't familiar with forums these days. Automerge can be a useful tool as it's one less button press for those who might want to add to a post, but that's certainly up for debate. I also don't like how it doesn't indicate which part of the message is merged.

24 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Hm, alright.

I suppose I'm not sure how it becomes muddled if you're replying to someone. If you're replying to someone how do they know it's them you're speaking to unless you quote them? If you're quoting them then how does a merge confuse things?

Posts won't merge if someone made a post between you making your first and second reply (irrespective of how long you wait to respond).

Let's test it.

1 hour ago, Gepard said:

I was thinking that perhaps if you're quote was highlighted the reply beneath it would be easier to see at a first glance. Probably a dumb idea but eh, it's a non-issue for me anyway whatever people decide on.

Another test

QED 😉

3 seperate posts, all merged, will be four if you count this one 😀

Only three then, as you posted too quick 😉

• Root Admin

I'm not having trouble reading them, but that could be just me. Is your point that it's not obvious that it's 3 posts? Why does that matter?

Here's the problem with not merging your 3 posts in my opinion:

screenshot-airsoft-forums.uk-2018-06-20-14-17-31.jpg

The point was within a thread you might have mutiple sub conversations.  If replying to different posters, ra[pidly (within 15 mins) and it all gets merged it makes it all a bit of a muddle and then hard to read and for those quoted to then reply again after.

• Root Admin

Ok but how do these people know you're speaking to them if you're not quoting them anyway? Say you're replying to multiple posters in a thread: Would you say something like:

@MisterG Yes I agree

@proffrink I disagree

Or would you be quoting them or what? If you're having to distinguish between posters then I'm not following the logic by which those posts need to be broken up. Again if someone posts within that 15 minutes you will not be merged, so if there are many active people in one thread you can reply directly to those who're making their own posts quickly.

I understand the point of replying to someone who's above you directly, so is this what you mean? Do you mean that if someone isn't quoting you (and is instead making the following post) it's hard to understand which part of your post they're replying to?

2 hours ago, Lozart said:

I agree

2 hours ago, Gepard said:

I can reply instantly to a comment posted after mine. Anything above mine and I just reply with new line. I don't have to edit anything twice, just make sure I've formatted my comment to include the people I'm replying to. 

ok

2 hours ago, L3wisD said:

The other annoying thing it does when it Merges posts is it doesn't leave a line between your previous post and the newer merged post.

So you could have a new paragraph talking about a different point but it's in the same paragraph...

Then what in the fuck... 

But not that time..

Hmmm.

Nor that time..

Bingo!

Eh?

3 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Ok but how do these people know you're speaking to them if you're not quoting them anyway? Say you're replying to multiple posters in a thread: Would you say something like:

@MisterG Yes I agree

@proffrink I disagree

Or would you be quoting them or what? If you're having to distinguish between posters then I'm not following the logic by which those posts need to be broken up. Again if someone posts within that 15 minutes you will not be merged, so if there are many active people in one thread you can reply directly to those who're making their own posts quickly.

Gets messy if lots of sub replies merged

I've quoted 4 people separately, it's now all merged.  If they want to now reply it gets messy as each will be replying to a differen bit of the same (my) post

• Root Admin

Perhaps a line break and/or a 'merged from another post' would be helpful (as @L3wisD was mentioning)? Something like this:

2 hours ago, Lozart said:

I agree

-- merged from another post --

2 hours ago, Gepard said:

ok

2 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Then what in the fuck... 

But not that time..

Hmmm.

Nor that time..

Bingo!

Eh?

6 minutes ago, proffrink said:

@MisterG Yes I agree

@proffrink I disagree

Gets messy if lots of sub replies merged

Or maybe combine with reducing the 15mins to 5 or even 3?

The forum is generally good, so this is a minor niggle in the grand scheme of things, but does get annoying at times.

• Supporters

@proffrink I fail to see how this is any more expedient than just not merging replies though. If you have to separate each quoted reply with more text and white space then you're just taking up more page with each reply.

Archived