Returning to airsoft...advice?

jkett284
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All, 

I’m making a return to airsoft after about 5/6 years out - looking for some advice as I used to go with my father who looked after all my guns and so on. 

I have the following guns; 

- ICS CXP 08 

- ICS M4 RIS

Am I best to get both guns serviced and the internals changed, things that would wear over time I assume? (Unsure as to what however) 

What battery and charger is recommended for both of the above guns? I have a PEQ box but hate it. 

What sort of camo is ‘in’ these days? I’ll be playing in Yorkshire Woodlands mostly! I’ve been looking at multicam and matching vest & holster.

Would you recommend a longer barrel for the CXP for woodland use? Perhaps a silencer would provide added length? 

What are the best quality BB’s, or BB’s you’d recommend? 

How often should I be ‘servicing’ these guns? 

What should I be bringing with me to skirmishes aside from BB’s, Batteries, Mags, and obviously food/water? 

Any other tips/advice you could suggest that I’ve probably or will forget? 

Thanks in advanced. 

59 minutes ago, jkett284 said:

What sort of camo is ‘in’ these days? I’ll be playing in Yorkshire Woodlands mostly! I’ve been looking at multicam and matching vest & holster.

Multicam, MTP, DPM, Flecktarn.

For cheapness DPM or Flecktarn using the PLCE webbing.

You can get a full setup, Trousers, shirt, parka, hat, webbing and pouches for £70ish on average.

Multicam and MTP tend to be more expensive.

Stick to military surplus, Going with budget branded gear tends to end up in fast gear failure. Once you have the basic PLCE setup it takes the pressure off needing tac vests and plate carriers. So they become optional rather than needed items.

1 hour ago, jkett284 said:

Would you recommend a longer barrel for the CXP for woodland use? Perhaps a silencer would provide added length?

Barrel length is almost irrelevant. I've had MP5's that can outrange full length guns. Provided your gun is getting good range, and you don't feel like you are missing out on range then there is nothing more you need to do.

200mm is a little on the short side, but I'd test it first before you go messing with the gun. A 140mm suppressor will let you have a 300mm barrel so you still have that as a backup option. ZCI stainless would be the budget pick for a longer barrel.

What are the best quality BB’s, or BB’s you’d recommend?

It depends on your site, Some will want you to use Bio BB's, Others will be cool with anything. The brand I tend to pick up are ASG Blaster 0.25 and 0.28g. I don't bother with 0.2g for outdoors.

Am I best to get both guns serviced and the internals changed, things that would wear over time I assume?

How often should I be ‘servicing’ these guns? 

When they break or the FPS fall off to unacceptable levels. I can do my own gearboxes, and even then I try to avoid doing it. If a gun is shooting well leave it alone regardless of how long the service period has been.

What should I be bringing with me to skirmishes aside from BB’s, Batteries, Mags, and obviously food/water? 

A small towel, Spare socks, spare diving shoes and perhaps a dry bag of lightweight clothes. And a small tool kit, A couple of screwdrivers, pliers, and allen keys. I normally have a couple of pairs of eye protection as well.

7 hours ago, Iceni said:

Multicam, MTP, DPM, Flecktarn.

For cheapness DPM or Flecktarn using the PLCE webbing.

You can get a full setup, Trousers, shirt, parka, hat, webbing and pouches for £70ish on average.

Multicam and MTP tend to be more expensive.

Stick to military surplus, Going with budget branded gear tends to end up in fast gear failure. Once you have the basic PLCE setup it takes the pressure off needing tac vests and plate carriers. So they become optional rather than needed items.

Barrel length is almost irrelevant. I've had MP5's that can outrange full length guns. Provided your gun is getting good range, and you don't feel like you are missing out on range then there is nothing more you need to do.

200mm is a little on the short side, but I'd test it first before you go messing with the gun. A 140mm suppressor will let you have a 300mm barrel so you still have that as a backup option. ZCI stainless would be the budget pick for a longer barrel.

It depends on your site, Some will want you to use Bio BB's, Others will be cool with anything. The brand I tend to pick up are ASG Blaster 0.25 and 0.28g. I don't bother with 0.2g for outdoors.

When they break or the FPS fall off to unacceptable levels. I can do my own gearboxes, and even then I try to avoid doing it. If a gun is shooting well leave it alone regardless of how long the service period has been.

A small towel, Spare socks, spare diving shoes and perhaps a dry bag of lightweight clothes. And a small tool kit, A couple of screwdrivers, pliers, and allen keys. I normally have a couple of pairs of eye protection as well.

Thanks for this. 

I've been looking at Viper gear, seems to look better in pictures than some of the surplus stuff? I'm not a fan of big baggy trousers/jackets and would rather go for something a little more fitted so the knee pads sit flush sort of thing

Have a look at Flecktarn then, As it feels more fitted than dpm kit.

There is a shop over in Poland I keep recommending. Dirt cheap for Flecktarn.

I spent £50, and got  Trousers, shirt, parka, 2 hats, Webbing, extra pouches. It then cost about £20 to get it shipped to the UK. So £70 all in. And vastly cheaper than the UK based stuff.

http://armyworld.pl/search.php?filter_producer=1142347122&filter_sizes=&filter_promotion=&filter_discount=&filter_new=&filter_bestseller=

5zl to the pound.

So items like the webbing at 39zl are £7.80!

http://armyworld.pl/product-eng-24-Tactical-Instrumentation-Bundeswehr-5-pieces-Flecktarn-Original-Demobil-SecondHand.html

• Supporters
2 hours ago, jkett284 said:

I've been looking at Viper gear, seems to look better in pictures than some of the surplus stuff? 

It really isn't.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

It really isn't.

Most definitely what he said ! For the price most charge it’s crap quality .

ICS are fantastic guns and as long as they’re shooting under your sites FPS limits id leave it well alone. I’ve found the gears in ICS guns to be better than most aftermarket ones. Standard gun should last you a long time.  

I’m really torn as to what to buy and what camo is best... 

I’m a fan of Multicam, seems to be available everywhere and lots of vests/MOLLE shit everywhere

The most id spend on gear is about 600/700, including vest, holsters, eye protection etc 

TMC and Emerson make some good stuff, check out weapon762 and shooterCBgear! 

Both use geniune multicam unlike viper and one Tigris which is a plus! 

What kind of loadout are you aiming for? Impression? 

9 minutes ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

Cheers pal will take a look now! 

Going for the rifleman type loadout, but I am prone to being quite active (if I still have the energy I used to!) and used to find the pouches on my front annoying when low to the ground.

I do want to keep as much things away from my legs however, I remember running a pistol on my leg and fuck that was irritating with it flapping around all game. 

3 minutes ago, jkett284 said:

Cheers pal will take a look now! 

Going for the rifleman type loadout, but I am prone to being quite active (if I still have the energy I used to!) and used to find the pouches on my front annoying when low to the ground.

I do want to keep as much things away from my legs however, I remember running a pistol on my leg and fuck that was irritating with it flapping around all game. 

Take a look at the JPC, should suit your style of play....

18 minutes ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

You may have just saved me a shit tonne of money with them websites - appreciate that mate

11 minutes ago, jkett284 said:

You may have just saved me a shit tonne of money with them websites - appreciate that mate

Yeah looks the part and should hold up, well my shit has anyway👍🏻

Archived