Last game that pleasantly surprised you? (Or not)

ibo7

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• 2 months later...

Alien Isolation is brilliant, I'm late to the party on it, it's very nerve racking and very true to the movies with a good story where you play as Ripley's daughter searching for her and it's actually quite long and meaty. It's more survival horror than a shooter, lots of hiding/cowering, you get guns but using them attracts the Alien and flame thrower ammo is rare so your best sneaking around obstacles. Humans for pretty easy with a wrench to the head, Android and Aliens not so much.

My preferred online shooter at the minute (don't have a pc) is Hell Let Loose. WW2 FPS. Really fun game. A team is made up of one Commander who pretty much orchestrates the plan as a whole, he has various command abilities such as drop in supplies, tanks, order airstrikes and more. Supplies are needed to build resources which increase his points to spend on such things as well as for engineers to build defences such as sandbags, barb wire, bunkers and more.

Commander has radio Comms to speak to squad leaders aka officers.

Squads are made up of an officer who has direct Comms with the commander and relays information between his squad and command, they have binoculars to scout around and mark objectives and the ability to build outposts and garrisons.

Outposts are spawn points for a particular squad, garrisons are spawn points for every squad but need supplies to be built.

The rest of a squad is made up of 5 other players who can choose between infantry, Anti tank, engineer, machine gunner, assault as far as I can remember, each has their own set of skills and most are restricted to one per squad.

You also have armoured squads for tanks which are made up of an officer and two drivers or is it 3 drivers, basically a spotter, driver and gunner.

Recon squads are made up of a spotter/officer and a sniper, I think there's 2 per team.

The game is generally a capture a sector game, sometimes both teams are fighting to own all sectors and others you are either defending or attacking.

This is a very basic summary, if you like the sound of it watch some YouTube and invest it's great, especially you PC guys who can run servers and such, can be hit and miss on console as it's matchmaking and all depends on the quality of commander and Comms between squads but the pc communities have some well organised teams.

I'm currently playing a story driven game, almost an interactive movie called "As Dusk Falls" which is also very good, it's a gritty story whereby two families lives entangle through a robbery gone wrong, you make choices for both families which continue to have effects across a couple of generations as the children grow up to live with their parents choices and make some of their own. You can play it multiple ways lots of repeatability, characters are deep and the choices can be quite gnarly sometimes.

Hope you try them and enjoy them!

Edited by BigBell1987
Added he'll let loose to my post.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.