M4 Platform Boredom

Duff
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So as some of you may know already I ran my JG M4 AEG this weekend gone and I have to say I am anything but enamoured with the infamous M4 platform. 

I enjoyed the extra range, something I'm not used to having and I also enjoyed full auto but it just felt... meh after a while. By this I mean I didn't relax into the games as I was constantly dealing with discomfort and awkwardness.

First thing I know I'm changing is the vertical grip. It felt horrible and I found myself holding the mag port on the receiver so a small angled grip will suffice.

Second is the stock, its the M4 style for AK47 and is all kinds of spikey. I may even completely remove the stock as it's front wired.

Can anyone give advice/abuse as to what else I can do to get more enjoyment out of my M4?!

Short of shelving it and moving on to another project I'm in a quandry as to what to do....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Get on all the retailer websites, there's an infinite amount of things you can do with the AR-15 platforms, there's a good chance you'll find some accessories you like the look of etc. Or think you'd find comfortable at least.

I wouldn't worry about holding the magwell, seems 70% of AR-15 users in Airsoft do so as well so you're not alone- I used to find it comfortable myself.

Not sure the type of stock you mean you have though, try and see if you can find an alternative that you'd like- i have 4 or 5 differently stock-ed ARs and some are better some are worse than others to me but it's all personal preference

If you still cant find bits and pieces to make  it suit you more then that's fine too, ask to try other peoples rifles next time you're at a game and see what you like the feel of more. You never know you may end up loving something you'd never have thought of before. No gun is right for everyone at the end of the day, try as many styles as you can 👍

• Supporters

An M4 is an M4. Swap the rails around, buy a new stock, slap a scope on it. Do whatever. Lots of variety to be had when building your own gun. You go online and see what you like best and then tailor it to how you play. I constantly change bits around on mine and no matter what gun I play with I always come back to the M4. 

If you're completely burned out try some other guns. I'm really enjoying my L85 right now and the bullpup style makes for an interesting playstyle (cornering, reloading, etc). 

• Supporters

Visit an airsoft store or better yet - ask a few of the players at your local if you can borrow their gun for a round or so. Get an idea of what it is you're looking for in a gun. It could be something as simple as you just don't like the ergonomics of an M4. 

See if anyone in your social circle has a solid stock to test. I don't get on with the crane stocks because I too find them uncomfortable. The solid long type on the other hand I find very to be comfortable. I also find crane stocks make the gun feel distant. You don't get the feedback from the leading  hand and there is slop between the gun and the stock. A solid stock removes that. Your leading hand and shoulder will feel connected like you get with the solid stock AK.

Or the other option is an LR300 wire stock. Dboys make one that is cheap enough on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dboys-Extendable-Foldable-Lr300-Stock-Folding-Stock-Airsoft-Black-Metal/222882175844?epid=1212289265&hash=item33e4d01b64:g:O0EAAOSw5i5aqQbK

Changing the gun to rear wired on a solid stock allows for a bigger battery, and that in turn allows you to counterbalance the RIS. This has a profound effect on the M4 platform, more weight on the shoulder, less in the leading hand. Even tho the gun is heavier it's actually more nimble and easier to point.

Grab a magwell grip. There are loads of clones out there. They make sense.

I did the stock change from wire type to solid on my Gr300 for exactly the same reason as your describing. People look at you like a nutter for replacing tacticool with what they see as old fashioned. But been able to whack a big counter balance in the gun, have space for a decent mosfet, and not have that remote feeling all make it worth it for me!

This gun is on the workbench ATM, I should have it re-painted, and ready to rock in a couple of weeks. But it's a CQB length M4 with a solid stock, just so you can see what they look like in terms of dimensions.

42815898071_9337c2c9f6_b.jpg

• Supporters

• Supporters

A7E03F75-CC9B-4B96-B150-B1913A9943E6.jpeg

• Supporters

Simples, get yourself a star fnc carbine, its the one gat I regret selling, solid as fuck, 3 fire modes inc burst, takes m4 mags, it's the bollocks. 

Plus you can get a railed fore end if needed, but I wouldn't bother, it's proper old skool, check out al Pacino using one in the bank robbery scene in Heat.

IMG_3848.JPG

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Duff said:

@Druid799 get fucked!

i just had an attack of the vapors I was so shocked ! 

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

1 minute ago, L3wisD said:

THE JG THUNDERMAUL!!

You know if he buys one of those he's going to follow you about at the mall and make sure he's stood by you for every photo opportunity.

• Moderators

I have an ICS M4 and ASG AR15, like of both of them, i do have the vertical grip as close to the mag well as i can and considering a magwell grip tbh.....but everyone is different and you're probably just not an M4 fan / commoner !!! ;):lol:

Totally agree with changing the stock. I like no stock (The Wasp) or a really simple/minimalist stock. I chop and change on both aegs between gripping the mag well and the rail. With the Reccce the mag well is shaped like a grip, so it is super comfortable. I also have a vertical grip on it, but that is mostly used for carrying it between games or when I am running. 

I like stocks that look like this one

image.png.e12a332872e44488020b0818524d45c4.png

Or the sliding type (price is scary on this one!

image.png.aa12af57b9fdf56802caea30a1b3e1d9.png

How's the weight of your M4? Does it feel front/back heavy and that's possibly why it feels so uncomfortable? 

Well it would be cheaper (probably) to go stockless and see 🙂  If you don't like that then buy full stock. 

With it already feeling front heavy, then maybe a full stock will better balance it? 

• Supporters

I'd be inclined to either go solid, or bin it.

The only reason that I've still got the foldy-stock attached to my G36 is that it's a handy place to strap on some mags for +10 Tacticool Points.

aLKIz2g.png

It takes a while to get comfortable with some guns,but once you achieve that its all good.

On my M4 I use a magwell grip and a minimalist slding stock which I rarely move from closed..It may depend on the length of your arms and the length of the gun

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Duff said:

The current stock is too short when compact and I haven't been able to get it feeling like how my shotgun stock feels, distance and fitment wise in my shoulder.

The sliding stock on an M4 is best adjusted so that if you hold it in front of you, the stock nestles into the crook of your elbow. Then it should be in the right place to shoulder for YOUR length of arm.

Is yours front wired, I think you might have said so? 

If so you could also get a folding stock.  I generally prefer a folding stock, though with the Tippmann it seems to be just the right length for me.

Nuts to all this, if you’re bored with the M4 platform, you know what I’m going to say @Duff......... and it’s not V for Vendetta 🦄🦄

15 hours ago, Duff said:

So as some of you may know already I ran my JG M4 AEG this weekend gone and I have to say I am anything but enamoured with the infamous M4 platform. 

I enjoyed the extra range, something I'm not used to having and I also enjoyed full auto but it just felt... meh after a while. By this I mean I didn't relax into the games as I was constantly dealing with discomfort and awkwardness.

First thing I know I'm changing is the vertical grip. It felt horrible and I found myself holding the mag port on the receiver so a small angled grip will suffice.

Second is the stock, its the M4 style for AK47 and is all kinds of spikey. I may even completely remove the stock as it's front wired.

Can anyone give advice/abuse as to what else I can do to get more enjoyment out of my M4?!

Short of shelving it and moving on to another project I'm in a quandry as to what to do....

There are so many options with AR15s. I suggest you head over to Gunstruction and experiment with barrels and furniture, the possibilities are endless. A couple of examples:

CD840EE9-05F3-4A38-B2F5-C8C29B5C7880.png

3386B73B-5ECA-4FA0-910D-D5E7B58B25E0.png

FABD755F-B4E5-48EF-9842-4479BED68385.png

3B316612-FB09-4688-916A-A2D1CB6E4EBD.jpeg

BED74313-BAFF-4F3C-9307-230A5D766CD1.png

F6540F69-C7C4-47FE-89B8-D1A0CF8E028A.png

A1BEBF10-4256-4B92-8953-CB9C3A925359.jpeg

DE129B64-11AA-4975-999B-2B828AC0DA11.png

• Supporters

hate to say it but i suggest going simple.

m16 full stock, rear-wire it, fit a light frontend with your choice of magwell/vert grip

it'll make it a much more pointable setup, i hate front-wired guns and folding stocks are kinda useless for airsoft as we aren't climbing in and out of tanks all the time.

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

hate to say it but i suggest going simple.

m16 full stock, rear-wire it, fit a light frontend with your choice of magwell/vert grip

it'll make it a much more pointable setup, i hate front-wired guns and folding stocks are kinda useless for airsoft as we aren't climbing in and out of tanks all the time.

+1 - the only downside to rear wired is you can't fit batteries into a CTR or MOE. I just about fit a thin lipo in, and I can't retract the stock.

Personally, I just have a pretty standard setup and.... me gusta

Archived