SE Tour Review: Airsoft Billericay (Essex) - Updated as of 01/07/2018

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Site Name: Airsoft Billericay

Contact details: 01277657777

Website Address: http://www.airsoft-billericay.co.uk/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Skirmish-Airsoft-Billericay-65355044979/?ref=br_rs

Site Address: Skirmish Wood, Outwood Farm Road, Billericay CM11 2TX

Update: I have revisited the site as of 01/07/2018. I have updated this original post with changes and other observations with Bluey green text. 

One of the big two sites in the Billericay area (Other is Plantation.)

Fairly easy to get to from Central London. TFL rail to Shenfield, one or two stops on national rail and a 20 minute walk at the end. 

This sites previous reviews have been positive for the game area, slightly less so for the Marshaling. 

This site is a huge woodland site. Has a Short/Medium/Long engagement distance and is very hilly in places, especially immediately after the safe zone. Can be tough for the unfit. 

Good:

HUGE site: This site is bigger then the acreage statement would have you believe. It is simply massive, very easy to get lost in. Quite often they split it in half to cater for paintballers and even then its almost too big. The actual woodland itself isn't massively varied, quite wild, slopes with a stream running through it. There is a small CQB section. 

Price: This is the cheapest site that I have ever been to, £15 for regulars and £18 for non-regulars.

Site Shop: Huge proper shop here. Probably the best I have seen on site, with a full armory, good brands. Better stock then some bricks and mortar shops. They also have an on-site tech that helped me out for free. 

Since last going they have added another large section of shop for just the surplus kit, last year this was under a tarpaulin now it is a more permanent structure. The Airsoft specific shop seemed to be less stocked then last year.

Marshaling: Out on the field, the Marshaling is efficient and hands off. No real problems here and they do follow up on complaints. 

Clientele: Generally well behaved airsofters. Some problems with hit taking from the younger minority but are sat on quite quickly by the elders. No instances of cheating this year. People seemed to take their hits. 

Average: 

N/A: Quite polarising. 

Bad:

CQB Sections: The site relies on its massive nature as its big draw, this could be developed so much more. The current main CQB section is a bunch of barrels stacked on top of each-other. It's adequate, but very easy to peek over the "virtual" walls. It's not big enough to hold the large numbers of players in the central section. If they put in some real buildings and fencing this would be very good. As of this year, there is no change to the height of the CQB section, this really would improve the experience. It would be nice if we had a game mode that incorporated some large sections of the surrounding area as well as the CQB section. 

FPS confusion/limits: The site as mentioned is huge, but it does not take advantage of its long engagement distance. From what I gather on the website DMR's can only be around 350 FPS. The bolt action limit is only 450 FPS. Whilst i generally subscribe to the idea that FPS does not necessarily mean more range, it would be nice to play to the sites characteristics. Please note that the marshals are VERY strict on FPS limits, if it chronos above 351FPS on one of the shots fired then you will not be allowed to use it on site. They WILL check the hop unit is all the way down if it shoots close to the limit. 

Safe zone: The safe area is fairly big, but a large portion of it is not covered. Bring wet sacks, umbrellas etc. 

Rental guns: I heard many many complaints about the state of the rental guns. Many of them being returned for mostly feeding problems. 

Conclusion: 

Despite the negatives, the positives really do outweigh almost all of the negatives. The huge nature of the site is a real boon and you should definitely experience it. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up next to Plantation in a future review. The site shop is worth the visit alone. I found none of the issues people had with the Marshaling that were reported in other reviews. 

What about toilets and parking? 

At my age a tree doesnt cut it anymore and your other posts talk about parking quite well..

3 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

What about toilets and parking? 

At my age a tree doesnt cut it anymore and your other posts talk about parking quite well..

Plenty of parking, though your car will get muddy on wet days. 

I uhh, held it in all day. I couldn't comment on the toilets sorry! ;)

I am still getting the format right on the reviews, so apologies if I skip on anything!

No problem at all... they are hugely helpful. Im in north london so the sites your reviewing are ones I would goto so keep it up ;)  

Toilets are something so many sites also dont get right... shame really! 

3 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

No problem at all... they are hugely helpful. Im in north london so the sites your reviewing are ones I would goto so keep it up ;)  

Toilets are something so many sites also dont get right... shame really! 

Battle Lakes have the best toilets. But quite far from you! I am playing Plantation on the 1st of July.

Edit: I am also hoping to go to Reforger/Tech Brigade/Dragons Lair/AWA before the summer is out. All in the North part of London, Herts or Essex.

I'm going to Reforger on the 1st, will report back 😉

It's the closest site to me as the crow flies, but I've never been.

Mainly going to try the range as I am upgrading my gun this weekend.

Good point on the Toilets.  Sometimes it's a single portaloo in the forest.

Cheers

G

Battle lakes is an awesome site, just on the limit for how far I will travel. 

Dragons lair is good, but I couldnt go every week, its not big/varied enough for me for woodland. 

EAG Dorking is a cracking site and about 90mins from me

16 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Battle lakes is an awesome site, just on the limit for how far I will travel. 

Dragons lair is good, but I couldnt go every week, its not big/varied enough for me for woodland. 

EAG Dorking is a cracking site and about 90mins from me

Is the Dorking site still open? I can never get current info on it. 

they have both male and female toilets on site , males has two toilets ,1 urinal and 1 basin .ladies , well i dont know. on site cafe area also with food cooked to order.

Please see the original post for my updated views on Airsoft Billericay. I was due to go to Airsoft Plantation on Sunday, but my ride pulled out and so I went to Billericay instead. 

On 21/06/2018 at 17:47, MisterG said:

I'm going to Reforger on the 1st, will report back 😉

It's the closest site to me as the crow flies, but I've never been.

Mainly going to try the range as I am upgrading my gun this weekend.

Good point on the Toilets.  Sometimes it's a single portaloo in the forest.

Cheers

G

It was so hot, I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked, but more to do with the weather than the site.

I'll need to go back when cooler to really get a good feel for it.

Good Points

- 50 m range to test guns, with markers at every 10 meters

- Sufficiently large and varied terrain

- Ample parking in a grassy field, was fine when dry

-  Pyro and grenades at reasonable prices, I liked the realistic looking grenades, can't remember what they were called, single use and a pin to pull.  First time using pyro, grenaded a bush 😀

- good marshalling, but the heat did make everyone a bit cranky

- good rental guns, G36 carbine (not G36C), went with a mate who rented, getting near to 40m with .20bbs

- Free water handed out

- covered safe zone

- no sign of cheating and everyone was friendly

Could do better

- Couldn't find the loos, unless it was the delapidated out of order ones right at the entrance no where near the safe zones, had to go au naturel as it were, after the sugeestion from a couple regulars.  To be fair I could have asked, but in that heat, I wasn't going to trek around to find a marshall.

- the site lookes like it is shared with some sort of equestrian organisation, evidenced by the piles of horse dung in the parking lot

- stools in the safe zone are a bit low, fine if you are 12 and under

- games were a bit long given the heat, was half way to filmsim in terms of length

- complcated medic rules and no one knew who the medics were

- safe zone floor is uneven, looks like thick rubber sheets or tarpolins over rough ground.

- when we swapped team roles and we became the attackers, finished the objective way too early, so marshalls seemed at a loss on what to do next.  Won easily, partly down to unbalanced teams, a team of snipers turned up with comms, so we had nearly all the snipers on our team.

Archived