SE Tour Review: Battle Lakes (Kent)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Site Name: Battle Lakes

Contact details: 07854426506

Website Address: http://www.zedadventures.co.uk/locations/battle-lakes/

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/battlelakesairsoft/

Site Address: Team Dynamics LTD, Hawkenbury Road, Bells Yew Green, Frant, TN3 9AP

My battle buddy and I popped along to Battle lakes recently. We had heard many good things about the site and decided to check it out for the day. 

Varied woodland site. Not much in the way of CQB that we saw. Medium to Long engagement distances. Mostly flat with long gentle slopes. Water features. 

Good :

Site aesthetic: It is a very beautiful site, flowers, sites and smells. Wonderful area. 

Parking: Lots of parking albeit on a slope. 

Marshaling: The head marshall were brilliant. The best I have ever seen. They are pretty hands off in the battle, but hands on in the briefing area. Everything was explained clearly and concisely. Apparently they were short handed on the day, but you wouldn't have known ** (See negatives). 

Clientele: General demeanor of the players is quite good, players are honest and take their hits. 

Shop: The shop was one of the best we saw. Provided by 308Sniper. Good choice of rifles and gear. They also sell customers second hand rifles which is nice to see. Nothing I was interested in unfortunately, though maybe that should be a plus point!

Safe Zone: Part of the safe zone was an actual proper building, the outdoor parts were very well built and you felt like you were actually safe. 

Food: Was free with the walk on fee and EXCELLENT. What seemed to be home made chilli was very good, they have veg options and hot dogs for people who booked ahead. Free chilled water from the water fountain. 

Average: 

Site Variety: Unfortunately due to the lack of marshalls, large sections of the site were not used. So I cannot comment about the variety of the landscape in the site. What we did play on was good and fairly large. 

Bad:

Medic Rule: Divisive but I am not too keen on the medic rule. Its needlessly complicated. Instead of being able to shuffle towards a friendly unless shot, my personal preference is to only allow people to stay put. The rule could be abused and for me was a little confusing in its implementation. This could well be me not listening closely enough though. 

Conclusion:

Battle Lakes, don't change! Marshalls, don't leave! We had an excellent day even though it was sweltering temps. Although my battle buddy and I are going around all the sites one by one, we will definitely be back to check out the rest of the site. 

I didn't know know whether to write a new thread about it or post in the existing one. I am hoping to do a little series of reviews of my findings in the South East. 

My battle buddy and I haven't been the Mall yet and have been meaning to for some time. We hear good things about the site, but bad about the marshaling. So hearing that Battle Lakes were run by the same people as the mall and got such a good impression of the marshaling at Battle Lakes was a pleasant surprise. 

There is also a shuffle rule. People after 2 minutes can crawl or shuffle along the ground after being hit, but if hit again the person must stop. 

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

There is also a shuffle rule. People after 2 minutes can crawl or shuffle along the ground after being hit, but if hit again the person must stop. 

Brilliant, must look like a load of tactical caterpillars wriggling around the site lol

• 2 months later...

Was there for the second time yesterday and had a blast!!

The rules and safety brief in all was a little over complicated, and yes the medic rule got a little confusing. I was sure we were told a dead player could be revived if either the reviving player or the dead player had a medic band, but someone on my team did not think this was the case, so I couldn't medic him and left him to bleed out (was his loss at the end of the day so I wasn't going to argue too hard). Same way with shuffling players not taking hits (making them respawn) or players shooting players waiting to medic thinking it would send them back to respawn, I do wish people would pay more attention during the brief!

The brief for the first game seemed over complicated but that might just be my little mind

The first game was an artillery attack game with one team in charge on a home made field gun (pretty well made too) and the other defending various tactical positions. The Blue team (attackers) had to position the field gun in various places and use one of their two captains to fire on a position and then use ground troops to take the flag down. All in all there were 6 positions and the cannon needed to be in certain locations to fire on each so it had to be transported along the roads. There were a few rules to go with it including the use of orange smoke to signify a gas attack which took out the cannon for ten minutes so it couldn't fire or be moved. By using the gas attacks carefully the defending team were able to stop the cannon moving during the last 40 mins of the game so they had no chance of winning.

Was a complicated affair during the rules (being told we had to defend 6 positions in order with 80% of our team not knowing the site and the regulars shrugging questions off and saying they had no idea where thing were too was annoying but the site quickly made sense. But actually a great way to explore the site and positions on the map and a very fun game with clear objectives (just a shame the blue team did not seem to grasp the idea of the objectives and all went their own way to shoot people rather than play for the 'team')

Its not as larger site as I first thought. I saw more of the site yesterday than in my previous game and realised the numerous locations are actually mostly visible from each other. The maps help but do make the site seem larger than it is!

The other thing which got me (and likely not the sites fault) was everyone seemed to leave after lunch!.. The last game had 30 players and this was made up with marshals as over half the players did not stay till the end. I didnt get it. 

Well a group were asked to leave. And a load of others left before the last game. Think it was travel issues rather than anything to do with the site.

Was also a quiet day (in my opinion) so was more noticeable when they left.

Nothing too juicy. One breached the rules as clearly outlined in the brief, his mate got lairy to the marshal so they were all given refunds and shown the exit!

Apparently one was smoking weed. Either way no need to threaten someone for doing their job!

There was a group pissing about during the brief and not listening, laughing etc. Think it was them.

Would not be surprised if it was, its normally groups like that who end up the ones in the game overkilling, not calling hits or generally being idiots.

6 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Nothing too juicy. One breached the rules as clearly outlined in the brief, his mate got lairy to the marshal so they were all given refunds and shown the exit!

Apparently one was smoking weed. Either way no need to threaten someone for doing their job!

There was a group pissing about during the brief and not listening, laughing etc. Think it was them.

Would not be surprised if it was, its normally groups like that who end up the ones in the game overkilling, not calling hits or generally being idiots.

Surprised about that. Wow. 

One of my mates smokes weed, I told him before the mall event dont smoke it, or during etc. He said thats fine I wouldnt dream of it.

Well, I cant say for certain in all honesty. Overheard someone talking about it afterwards.

Saw the argument but was trying to get my mags loaded for the next game and didnt want to be a spectator so carried on with my own business.

One of the marshals did apologise after and mentioned they had to sort out some 'admin' for the group leaving, I guess I assumed this was a refund.

Either way was dealt with promptly and professionally from what I witnessed. But then they are Zed adventures staff and played at all their sites and always been more than happy with the quality of how they are run!

15 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Well, I cant say for certain in all honesty. Overheard someone talking about it afterwards.

Saw the argument but was trying to get my mags loaded for the next game and didnt want to be a spectator so carried on with my own business.

One of the marshals did apologise after and mentioned they had to sort out some 'admin' for the group leaving, I guess I assumed this was a refund.

Either way was dealt with promptly and professionally from what I witnessed. But then they are Zed adventures staff and played at all their sites and always been more than happy with the quality of how they are run!

Smoking weed does certainly happen at sites. I can name three that I have witnessed it, though they generally do it at the car park at lunchtime. I don't agree with it and I think it's dangerous. Kudos to Battle Lakes, there is no need for that sort of behaviour at an Airsoft site where it should be safety first. 

It's good to see marshals take their jobs seriously and willing to confront. 

• 4 months later...

@Asomodai great review this one. i kbnow it was posted some time ago but i am enjoying reading through all the past ones. my mum stays in Kent so i shall defiantly be visiting some of your reviewed site :) 

On 28/04/2019 at 14:43, Mad Rag said:

@Asomodai great review this one. i kbnow it was posted some time ago but i am enjoying reading through all the past ones. my mum stays in Kent so i shall defiantly be visiting some of your reviewed site :) 

No problem. I would love to give BattleLakes another try one day soon. 

On 03/10/2018 at 09:31, Asomodai said:

It's good to see marshals take their jobs seriously and willing to confront. 

stood out as a huge plus point for me...

No point having rules and then being passive about things. The guys were kicking off acting like idiots too which didnt help.

I must get back there at some point, was a decent site!

Archived