Recommend a tech sub section?

Prisce
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Thought it would be a good idea to have like a “Places to Buy” style thread, but for techs, I know there are a few on here, and I’m sure that they wouldn’t mind good and bad feedback.

Just a suggestion.

• Head Moderator

@Prisce  Can you expand your idea a bit.  Do you mean a single topic for "Recommended Technicians" or a sub-forum for "Airsoft Techs"?   We do not get that many topics about this though.

Creating a new sub-forum within the 'Advice & Technical Help' section makes the most sense.  A place for any topic asking about airsoft techs, review of a specific tech, or recommendations could go there.

• Supporters

I think it is open to discussion. I believe 1 thread would suffice( can’t be that many techs or people using them).

I had been speaking to a couple of guys on site today who were asking about decent techs because they have had bad experiences before, and I have no idea of any or where they are. 

I reckon the best way to do this would probably involve you mods doing even more work😁(you know you love it)

And as people post, edit the first post, put techs name, rough location, maybe a percentage of feedback?  

(We all know even the best techs will get some bad feedback as someone doesn’t approve of something- maybe it could help the techs improve too?)

Would definitely support a “Tech Service Reviews” section. Great idea.

Another forum I go on that is not airsoft related do a mentors title for people that are willing to help people in there local area.

We already list our skirmish sites, so adding a search feature to put names to places  in the mentor list might be possible. It would mean some effort on the staff  here to get site names standardised.

The basic idea been that if you have a problem  you can search for a mentor in your local area and try to meet up face to face probably at a skirmish, and have someone you can trust just give the problem  gun a quick look and advise you on the correct action to take. Not offering to repair the gun, Simply telling the other person what the likely fault is, and where is best to send it in the local  area to pay someone to fix it.

• Moderators

yeah would be good to know others with in the area and what the rate etc. is , i only know one from Gunman which is great as i dont have to drive to Firesupport all the time!

on the rating side, may have to be careful as some may take a bad one to heart, ive seen similar happen on other forums and it can get messy

23 hours ago, djben9 said:

yeah would be good to know others with in the area and what the rate etc. is , i only know one from Gunman which is great as i dont have to drive to Firesupport all the time!

on the rating side, may have to be careful as some may take a bad one to heart, ive seen similar happen on other forums and it can get messy

All for this, but yes if it's a mate who's trying to help for a crate of beer or bottle of BBs - don't go slating him on a forum if his fix doesn't go according to plan 😄

I'm just covering myself as I'm fixing a team mates ICS right now!

• Supporters
On 6/18/2018 at 10:55 AM, djben9 said:

on the rating side, may have to be careful as some may take a bad one to heart

So much this.  One man's plain facts is another man's libel or mortal insult.

• Moderators

could give it a go :)

On 6/17/2018 at 7:14 PM, Prisce said:

Thought it would be a good idea to have like a “Places to Buy” style thread, but for techs, I know there are a few on here, and I’m sure that they wouldn’t mind good and bad feedback.

Just a suggestion.

Good idea mate. Literally just logged on to look for tech reviews as I’m looking for one pref based in south east/Kent to undertake some work for me and such a sub set as the one you are suggesting would have helped....

• Root Admin

Of course the issue with these sorts of forums is that they tend to die over a couple of years as threads aren't maintained. I'm sceptical that there're enough techs about who use these forums to warrant a section, but I'll speak to Jedi about it and see if we can trial something at least.

• Supporters
On 21/06/2018 at 16:07, Gazmeister said:

Good idea mate. Literally just logged on to look for tech reviews as I’m looking for one pref based in south east/Kent to undertake some work for me and such a sub set as the one you are suggesting would have helped....

What do you want doing?

• Supporters

My idea was purely just to advertise where professional techs, and home grown techs were located, and what experiences people have had with them, ie Quick turn around but expensive, shoddy aftercare but really nice to deal with.

Just so people don’t keep getting abused and like I and some others here, fobbed off by apparently professional techs who don’t have a clue what they are doing.

Like some others have suggested, certain jobs,(setting the hop and chronoing) could be done by a local guy for a beer or something. 

I think it would provide the traffic, and do the community a favour.

• Supporters

Well I’ll try and keep it topped up as I believe it’s something we would all benefit from.

• Moderators

yeah test would be good, need to now how good Prisce is with sniper mods....!!;):D

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, djben9 said:

yeah test would be good, need to now how good Prisce is with sniper mods....!!;):D

Not worth paying for! I have a team mate for all that.

42 minutes ago, djben9 said:

I keep asking him questions and he keeps giving me really good info, have to assume he is fairly good. Especially as his sniper was great fun to fire and was hitting consistently. I actually got kills with it. Now I need the Wife to sanction a new gun 😂 

• Moderators

ok, cool, i'll go and remove that bit...it was the first so can be tweaked :) 

19 hours ago, proffrink said:

Here you go:

https://airsoft-forums.uk/forum/150-recommend-a-tech/

Please read the current rules/guidance and feel free to add feedback here on what you think of them.

What about a basic template, shall we just leave it up to the user when posting, personally i like it :)

• Head Moderator
1 hour ago, djben9 said:

What about a basic template, shall we just leave it up to the user when posting, personally i like it :)

A template could be useful because it acts a a guide for including some relevant details that may get left out. Although knowing how badly some members failed to fill in the simple Classifieds template it is never idiot proof.

I have also moved some Technician related topics into the new sub-forum.

• Root Admin

Basic template should be as subjective as possible and just cover contact details, location etc. though as anyone can open up a thread. Another issue is that as this subforum is a mixture of 'looking for tech' and 'recommended techs', we cannot necessarily put a predefined template ready to go in the post content field like we used to do with the old classifieds. It would need to go in a sticky I suppose.

Archived