Advice Needed - retracting sling

Readman97
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Never seen a RETRACTING sling, but there some single point bungee slings out there that stretch in use & then pull your rifle a bit closer when released.

any good ?

• Supporters

Never seen anything that would do that to be honest, the best you'd probably get is a one point sling routed over the shoulders so when you let go the rifle will hand vertically 

• Supporters

To be honest I'd have thought having the front of the gun pulled up would be pretty inconvenient anyway, generally a primary will be longer than the person carrying it is wide. I'd imagine you'd just end up catching it on stuff

• Supporters

Just use a 2 point or a properly adjusted 1 point and let it hang, or a weapons catch if you really want to be slow on your draws.  There is a long list of reasons the real life professionals don't wear key-chain retracto-winches on their kit and I can 100% promise you that in in the real world the idea you have in your head is not going to play out -  there are always, always factors at play that you don't think of and turn out to be a pain in the cunt when you physically try out weird stuff like this.

And if it was something you saw at SHOT there's a genuine chance it's retarded garbage.  I see lots of genuinely impressive new products there every year, along with more than a few complete and utter turds.

• Root Admin

Was going to say that not everything shown at SHOT makes it to the shops, and a lot of the time there's good reason for that.

2 point sling and a QD point would be best, but if you need speed just a one point sling and a not horrendously long barrel is fine.

• Supporters

tbh i find a 3 point is perfectly adequate, just chuck the rifle under your right arm then bringing your arm forward and drawing is as quick as you need.

side option is to just hold on to the front of your rifle with your left hand and draw one-handed if it's for real close and personal stuff.

that said, i've never needed a speedy pistol transition, why not just shoot them with the rifle? or better yet duck into cover to get the precious seconds you need to do it.

TBH I've a 1 point and while it doesn't hold it tight against you if you have it set high meaning the butt plate is at chest height when primary is released I've never had any bother when  switching to pistol 🙂

• Supporters

3 points are obsolete, case in point -  we still issue them with the L85.  All a 3 point is, is a quick adjust 2 point with an extra strap in the mix that's a total waste of space and does nothing but get in the way for 99% of applications.

If you already own one sure crack on, it's just airsoft.  But buying one now is the sling equivalent of buying a CD Walkman.

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, CKinnerley said:

3 points are obsolete, case in point -  we still issue them with the L85.  All a 3 point is, is a quick adjust 2 point with an extra strap in the mix that's a total waste of space and does nothing but get in the way for 99% of applications.

If you already own one sure crack on, it's just airsoft.  But buying one now is the sling equivalent of buying a CD Walkman.

I dunno, i like them personally. I get there's a bit of hate out there for them but they work for me.

The sa80 sling is pretty good if you have the right length rifle so that when you switch it you have plenty of dexterity left. Although granted its not the best if you need to switch shoulders.

I guess like all things its a balance, in combat a 1 point is more than sufficient but when out of combat a 2 point is much more convenient to carry the rifle.

I'd take a cheap milsurp sa80 sling over an equivalently priced bungee sling any day, those things are the work of the devil.

• Supporters
On 6/15/2018 at 7:51 PM, Readman97 said:

Hi guys, I'm looking for a retaining sling that when I let go of my rifle to transition to a sidearm, it will automatically pull the front of the gun up onto my osprey vest out of the way, any ideas?

You could try something like this http://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/blackhawk-stealth-weapons-catch-71wc00bk-7999-p.asp or http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/fma-weapon-link-retention-mount-point-for-molle-black.htm#.Wyd5yaf0mXI

I just run an adjustable MS style sling. Falls fine for me. You can adjust it more precisely if you’re not holding it for a long time, but if you’re that bothered about speed, I don’t think you’re gonna be bothered about exactly where it falls.

In airsoft the only application I can see needing any sort of speedy draw is playing as a sniper/DMR and being shit enough to allow someone to get within your MED and having to panic draw a sidearm. 

9 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

I just run an adjustable MS style sling. Falls fine for me. You can adjust it more precisely if you’re not holding it for a long time, but if you’re that bothered about speed, I don’t think you’re gonna be bothered about exactly where it falls.

In airsoft the only application I can see needing any sort of speedy draw is playing as a sniper/DMR and being shit enough to allow someone to get within your MED and having to panic draw a sidearm. 

I was thinking it would be handy for semi CQB as you could transition from long gun to pistol for tight spaces without having to worry about the end of your gun getting beaten up on stuff, literally just like a retracting chord you clip on your rig or belt and when you rest your gun it would fall in tight to you instead of swinging around on a 1 point sling 

You coukd use an anchor point to clip into. There's is no such thing on the market currently that functions as you want.

Is the end of say a m4 really that much longer than a pistol extended out on front of you? I bet there’s only a couple of inches in it. 

Just now, Wo1f said:

Is the end of say a m4 really that much longer than a pistol extended out on front of you? I bet there’s only a couple of inches in it. 

It's a long barrel AR (CYMA 069) so definitely more cumbersome than a pistol lol

44 minutes ago, Readman97 said:

It's a long barrel AR (CYMA 069) so definitely more cumbersome than a pistol lol

You’re laughing but try it. Hold out a pistol at full stretch and put the barrel against the wall. See how far away you’re stood from the wall. Then do the same with an m4a1. If it’s a g3 or something really long then sure, but a short barreled rifle is actually smaller. A p90 for example is about half the length shouldered as a pistol is extended. More firepower, more accuracy. 

• Supporters

It's a vaild point for real guns that people don't think of, but our have no recoil so you can hold a pistol however you like.  I know for myself I can just point and shoot perfectly fine within 25m or so and I'd imagine most people are the same or similar, so sight alignment doesn't even really come in to play.  Though obviously you can just hold the sights closer to your face in a weird grip if you really want.

• Supporters
On 6/15/2018 at 8:06 PM, Tackle said:

bungee slings

Not really a fan of mine.  The elasticity is strong enough that it's not comfortable to use the gun with it stretched, but not strong enough that it holds it securely when you've got it slung.  It still bounces around.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Wo1f said:

You’re laughing but try it. Hold out a pistol at full stretch and put the barrel against the wall. See how far away you’re stood from the wall. Then do the same with an m4a1. If it’s a g3 or something really long then sure, but a short barreled rifle is actually smaller. A p90 for example is about half the length shouldered as a pistol is extended. More firepower, more accuracy. 

Check out inrange tv's pgo shotgun testing, proves this point pretty succinctly.

Archived