Airsoft Ruined Movies For Me

Duff
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 hour ago, Countryman said:

Yes the chances of hearing anything after a firefight in a small room are pretty thin. A rifle fired a couple feet from your ear is going to give you more than a concert level of ear ringing, probably for days.

British Army is braced for a lot of permanent hearing damage claims. On a Military Range now as part of the Ammo Declaration we ask about hearing damage.   Mod is looking into suppressing all small arms for this reason along with other measures to combat the problem.

Seems a bizarre solution compared to just purchasing sordins which cut out with high db sounds then cut back in and allow amplified ambient sounds like talking etc or is there more to it than that?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Injury Lawyers for you" has a lot to do with it. Some of the stories about trench foot claims for example, coming out now are amusing.

Various Hearing protection PPE has been issued for a long while. "Stand to" is already a pretty busy time.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, clumpyedge said:

Seems a bizarre solution compared to just purchasing sordins which cut out with high db sounds then cut back in and allow amplified ambient sounds like talking etc or is there more to it than that?

dont forget you can also hook up a radio to them.....

7 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

dont forget you can also hook up a radio to them.....

Yeah I have both the boom mic and the aux versions of the MSA sordins and use the latter for real steel shooting, just seems strange to splash out on suppressors etc when other more rational PPE is available or are suppressors becoming more commonly used for other reasons in the forces?

• Supporters

Pure speculation, but:

An expensive item that needs maintained and can be damaged, lost, stolen or sold out the back of the barracks, and which someone's lawyers can later claim wasn't issued / didn't work / nobody made their client wear it.

versus

A fit-and-forget metal tube.

I know what I'd procure for the poor bloody infantry.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Pure speculation, but:

An expensive item that needs maintained and can be damaged, lost, stolen or sold out the back of the barracks, and which someone's lawyers can later claim wasn't issued / didn't work / nobody made their client wear it.

versus

A headset that costs £200 max vs a suppressor that could be anything up to £1000 a pop? I know what the bean counters will buy.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Yeah I have both the boom mic and the aux versions of the MSA sordins and use the latter for real steel shooting, just seems strange to splash out on suppressors etc when other more rational PPE is available or are suppressors becoming more commonly used for other reasons in the forces?

I guess a suppressor has the added benefit of reducing muzzle flash, as well as helping the hearing of non-combatants in the area who wont have hearing protection.

That said, i'd probably use both, after all its not just rifle fire that'll risk your eardrums in a warzone.

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

I guess a suppressor has the added benefit of reducing muzzle flash, as well as helping the hearing of non-combatants in the area who wont have hearing protection.

That said, i'd probably use both, after all its not just rifle fire that'll risk your eardrums in a warzone.

Yeah but what protects you from the dreaded MRE constipation 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Sorry, cant help there, i'm an engineer not a magician :P

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

a suppressor that could be anything up to £1000 a pop

Ouch, really?  Sorry, I was thinking in terms of what they should cost based on the materials (a bit of metal and lagging), rather than the £4,000,000 milspec screwdriver that's doubtless absolutely required to put them together. ;)

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Ouch, really?  Sorry, I was thinking in terms of what they should cost based on the materials (a bit of metal and lagging), rather than the £4,000,000 milspec screwdriver that's doubtless absolutely required to put them together. ;)

Retail on a Surefire SOCOM 556 is $1375!

Also - there's no "lagging" in a suppressor - 

Surefire_Blast_Diffuser_Baffle_Stack_Ass

Guys anything you run through MOD Procurement costs £1000's. Supply of spares inventory for its projected lifetime ect.

I suspect once Injury lawyers for you have got hold of the Iraqi civilian hearing injury claims this might pick up again!

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Its meant to do that, stops you needing a shit in the middle of a firefight 😠........lost count of the amount of times I've been "bunged up" after days of eating compo, & then half hour after eating normal food you feel like your trying to shit out a watermelon 😓.

Happy days lol

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Countryman said:

Guys anything you run through MOD Procurement costs £1000's. Supply of spares inventory for its projected lifetime ect.

Having spent quite a while in defence research I can attest to this!

• Supporters

I remember watching that crappy film Insurgent on the plane once.

Even with the shitty sized tiny screen i still couldnt help but see KWA Kriss Vectors everywhere

https://goo.gl/images/7RsjnQ

7 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Pure speculation, but:

versus

Or both

If you opt for suppressors then what about when someone whips out their pistol, LMG, or grabs a mortar or Carl Gustav

Will it physically work with particular weapons etc ?

http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogspot.com/2016/03/british-army-reviewing-whether-to-lose.html?m=1

Small Arms Suppressors: initially considered as part of efforts to reduce the number of troops sustaining noise induced hearing loss (NIHL), they were found to potentially have other merits on the battlefield and a full experimentation was ordered. The army procured bespoke suppressors for every platoon weapon, including the LMG Minimi and the GPMG. As of 2015, there was no definitive conclusion, with both pros and cons having surfaced, and more time required to make any choice. 
BURMA Coy, 1st LANCS, was given the suppressors for a fact-finding ride. They performed well on SA80 and L129A1, greatly reducing the noise and even the recoil, while they performed horribly on the belt-fed weapons, somehow causing the recoil to get much stronger and, not so surprisingly, becoming white hot during sustained fire, both with LMG and GPMG.

On government procurement it’s not only the price of the item or the through life costs of all elements and spares across an equipment timeline, but also the cost of companies to produce contract tenders to which only one is going to be the final contractor - so you have to recoup the cost when you get the contract, plus a bit to keep you going for all the tenders you failed to win.  Then the development and changing specifications, the need to maintain a supply chain that ticks along normally but also sustains and supplies promptly in times of urgency 

Those are just the planned requirements, then you find out you aren’t fighting a new version of your last war and need something new quick so raise an urgent operational requirement to buy x qty rifles today, then later decide to shelve it or bring it into the revised standard weapon mix - which means establishing the supply chain and through life support.

Also you’re never going to want 10 or 100, you need 1000, 10000 now followed by a handful drip fed later on

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Shizbazki said:

I remember watching that crappy film Insurgent on the plane once.

Even with the shitty sized tiny screen i still couldnt help but see KWA Kriss Vectors everywhere

https://goo.gl/images/7RsjnQ

not as bad as the hunger games, all they did was paint f2000's white, and there was enough to count as an fn product placement :D

17 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

not as bad as the hunger games, all they did was paint f2000's white, and there was enough to count as an fn product placement :D

Pretty sure those F2000s were mascurading as F2000s in that movie.

14 hours ago, Tackle said:

Its meant to do that, stops you needing a shit in the middle of a firefight 😠........lost count of the amount of times I've been "bunged up" after days of eating compo, & then half hour after eating normal food you feel like your trying to shit out a watermelon 😓.

Happy days lol

and women say men dont understand childbirth 😂

I actually seem to focus more on the guns to see if they are airsoft or not, rather than focusing on the movie 🤔 

It is also amusing to see a gun firing without the bolt moving/dust cover closed, or seeing a massive muzzle flash come out the end of a suppressor

I think one of the funnier blunders was actually in a game rather than a movie; Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Imagine looking down your plate carrier, only to notice that you have airsoft magazines in your pouches 😲 Why would you even have the mags facing ammo side up... Yeah, that absolutely killed the immersion. I am 90% sure that I have also seen hi-cap winding wheels in various CoDs.

Definitely seen winding wheels in some of the loading screen artwork for GTA V

Screenshot_20180620-195246.jpg

Was in Pro Airsoft a while back and they had a dude buy a load of stuff for props, same as Wolf armories, I know they sell a lot as props.

Have a mate whos been an extra in some movies (low budget English gansger type flicks) and its all airsoft guns as they are often the cheapest and easiest to get hold off

Film making is of course one of the legitimate defences for RIFs and the airsoft industry is a very cheap and easy source for them

Couple this with a dodgy arms dealer who was buying guns under the guise of filmmaking and claiming association with the Bond franchise to keep things secret without evidence of his requirements, and in reality he was reactivating non compliant deacts for sale on the black market

The production companies are also numerous, and work on both film & tv.  If they have something more realistic then they need a

proper armourer (and don’t know if they end up with a bluffer) and lots more in the costs and control

Airsoft RIFs make things much easier, transparent and above board

Archived