Airsoft Ruined Movies For Me

Duff
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I think safety has something to do with it too.

Years ago it was not uncommon for real guns to be used with blank cartridges on film sets. At close range blanks can be dangerous. However at least one actor was killed when the prop department mistakenly handed out a gun containing live rounds instead of blanks.

Airsoft shots may sting if you are hit in certain places but they are not lethal.

What put me off a lot of films is their unrealistic portrayal of guns in use and of people being shot by them - rotten trigger technique, finger on the trigger when the gun was not being used, people hit by all manner of bullets and shotgun shells flying backwards through windows etc. Even people hit by 000 buckshot do not fly through the air. They just collapse on the spot. Do you remember back in the eighties when blood would spurt out of entry wounds? At least they got rif od that one.

When I lived abroad and owned firearms I realised just how unrealistic films showing guns in use were. My personal favourite was Mark Wahlberg in the film sniper, taking a standing shot from a rocking rowing boat on a river with a cheap borrowed rimfire rifle and crappy scope scope and hitting an executioner a hundred or more yards away right between the eyes. And the man was actually inside a poorly lit building.

Have you ever felt the trigger on a cheap American rimfire? Laugh? I nearly bought a round.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Airsoft didn't really change my perception of weapons in films.

I can certainly appreciate the cost implications of using RiFs rather than certified film blank conversions.

(commercial blank firing guns do not vent through the barrel as it is completely blocked)

emilianoksa: I presume you are talking about Brandon Lee.  They used dummy rounds (with plastic bullet heads) to show the bullets in the magazine.  One of the plastic heads came off inside the gun breech when cocked.  Unfortunately the weapon handler didn't properly check the pistol was clear before loading the blanks for the firing scene next.  So the blank actually fired the plastic dummy bullet into Brandons chest.

What always bothers me is the lack of recoil.

They could at least try and make it look like there is some...

17 hours ago, Tiercel said:

The main thing that bugs me about guns on some hows, ESPECIALLY TWD, is the complete absence of any Recoil! Like the episodes we see Carl (when hes not being a whiny little bitch) using Rick's .357 magnum colt python firing off 2 dozen shots one handed with pinpoint accuracy and no recoil whatsoever, when in reality it should be throwing a little preteen bitch across the room :P

Also on a trivia note, I believe I recall reading somewhere that the reason the main weapon in Metal Gear Solid being the Mk23 SOCOM and the FAMAS was due to those being the only guns Tokyo Marui could give to the production team to model them off.

The Famas and MK23 were used in the first MGS simply because they were the blockiest/easiest guns to model on the relatively low powered PS1 chipset. Modelling any other gun that actually looks like it's real life counterpart would have been very difficult. 

Welcome to my world! Having done the "Real Steel" thing for 4 decades with the last one as an Instructor, I visibly flinch when some of the safety rules get broken. Then, Im known to observe trigger discipline on a Drill or Hairdryer!

Finger inside the guard has me shouting at actors all the time. I count my shots and it bugs me so much when a character exceeds his mag capacity without reloading. Moderated firearms, dont get me started!

Similarly trained, my daughter recoiled the other day watching something when the main character muzzle swept all their friends.

Now, thank you all,  I will be watching out for winder wheels on mags!

Arrgh!

21 minutes ago, Countryman said:

Then, Im known to observe trigger discipline on a Drill or Hairdryer! 

When I first got into airsoft I took gun safety more seriously than most - including how to hold pistols to prevent bad habits forming if I ever encountered a real one. I picked up this particular habbit too.

Also, a quick shout out for this if you're not aware of it:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

If you think you saw an airsoft gun, chances are someone already put it up on that site. :)

• Supporters
1 hour ago, emilianoksa said:

When I lived abroad and owned firearms I realised just how unrealistic films showing guns in use were. My personal favourite was Mark Wahlberg in the film sniper, taking a standing shot from a rocking rowing boat on a river with a cheap borrowed rimfire rifle and crappy scope scope and hitting an executioner a hundred or more yards away right between the eyes. And the man was actually inside a poorly lit building.

Shooter. That’s the name of that film.

If you want to get tetchy about film shots. How about the sniper vs sniper in saving private Ryan. No one is making a 1km kill shot through another snipers scope, not even with modern guns and techniques!

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Prisce said:

How about the sniper vs sniper in saving private Ryan. No one is making a 1km kill shot through another snipers scope, not even with modern guns and techniques!

And the fact that mythbusters proved you can’t kill someone by shooting through a scope either . 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

And the fact that mythbusters proved you can’t kill someone by shooting through a scope either . 

firing into water it always good....:lol:

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/can-being-underwater-protect-you-from-bullets.html

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/07/mythbusters_bulletproof_water.html

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Not entirely true. It was "busted" in one episode and then revisited and changed to "plausible" https://mythresults.com/episode67

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, Prisce said:

If you want to get tetchy about film shots. How about the sniper vs sniper in saving private Ryan. No one is making a 1km kill shot through another snipers scope, not even with modern guns and techniques!

not intentionally, but in pure luck maybe?

although it's doubtful given the minute of angle accuracy standards of the rifles of the time, i'd be surprised if anyone would attempt that kind of shot back then except purely for bragging rights if they pulled it off.

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Not entirely true. It was "busted" in one episode and then revisited and changed to "plausible" https://mythresults.com/episode67

Never saw that one , will have to look it up . 👍

9 hours ago, EDcase said:

Airsoft didn't really change my perception of weapons in films.

I can certainly appreciate the cost implications of using RiFs rather than certified film blank conversions.

(commercial blank firing guns do not vent through the barrel as it is completely blocked)

emilianoksa: I presume you are talking about Brandon Lee.  They used dummy rounds (with plastic bullet heads) to show the bullets in the magazine.  One of the plastic heads came off inside the gun breech when cocked.  Unfortunately the weapon handler didn't properly check the pistol was clear before loading the blanks for the firing scene next.  So the blank actually fired the plastic dummy bullet into Brandons chest.

What always bothers me is the lack of recoil.

They could at least try and make it look like there is some...

Yes I did. Thanks for correcting me.

Another thing I have realised. Once on a live fire range I removed my ear defenders for a split second just as the bloke in the next booth took a shot with a pistol. The noise was deafening and hurt my ears. It took me some time to recover. Shots in buildings are so loud they temporarily disable you. You wouldn't think it from films though. Huge gun fights take place in interiors at close range and nobody seems to be affected by the noise.  

Talking of trigger discipline, a few days ago now while watching the longest day, I suddenly noticed there was virtually none at all. Considering alot of the actors were ww2 veterans . Also its great watching some of the behind the scenes footage of starwars: A new hope. Seeing storm troopers firing modified sterlings and giving orders in perfect English accents. In this case they used blanks so the special effects guys can put in laser blasts/sounds 

10 hours ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

Talking of trigger discipline, a few days ago now while watching the longest day, I suddenly noticed there was virtually none at all. Considering alot of the actors were ww2 veterans . Also its great watching some of the behind the scenes footage of starwars: A new hope. Seeing storm troopers firing modified sterlings and giving orders in perfect English accents. In this case they used blanks so the special effects guys can put in laser blasts/sounds 

(To a degree) that should give an indication that they know better than our 21st century eyes being critical of a film

There were vast unprofessional army’s formed up a mix of hard experience learned fast in preceding years plus those who went from training to invasion

For much of their time they are potentially around the corner of danger and need to be the first to pull the trigger.  Trigger discipline came later in history 

For a good example of ‘compare and contrast’ take ‘A bridge too far’ and ‘Theirs is the glory’, the latter is almost immeadiatley after the war and every ‘actor’ was there.  The acting is wooden and everyone is well spoken, but it’s by those who know

I must give an adult content warning for the sensitive in one of the later scenes.  This was made when men were men and were not coy about getting naked, particularly when their lives depended on it. 

• Supporters
12 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Once on a live fire range I removed my ear defenders for a split second just as the bloke in the next booth took a shot with a pistol. The noise was deafening and hurt my ears

As can be heard in airsoft.  The difference between a BFG using 9mm rather than .209 is startling.

On a quick Googols, it seems that finger-off-the-trigger discipline  wasn't really a thing until after Vietnam, and holding it tight along the receiver was 1990s or so.

You do get airsofters who have no idea about it, and I've seen a negligent discharge during a safety briefing which sadly didn't result in the offender being asked to sit out the next game.

15 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Another thing I have realised. Once on a live fire range I removed my ear defenders for a split second just as the bloke in the next booth took a shot with a pistol. The noise was deafening and hurt my ears. It took me some time to recover. Shots in buildings are so loud they temporarily disable you. You wouldn't think it from films though. Huge gun fights take place in interiors at close range and nobody seems to be affected by the noise.  

Apparently Bruce Willis is deaf in left ear due to filming 'Die Hard' where he shoots from under table because he forgot to put in ear plugs with gun right next to his head.

A bit silly since all gun sounds are added after filming but use blanks for realistic weapon function.

One thing that irks me seeing airsofters play is using the middle finger for trigger 😠

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

You do get airsofters who have no idea about it, and I've seen a negligent discharge during a safety briefing which sadly didn't result in the offender being asked to sit out the next game.

That really grinds my gears, its why i never take my eye pro off even if the whistle's been blown.

If i see people with mags in when others have their glasses off they're getting a bollocking.

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, EDcase said:

One thing that irks me seeing airsofters play is using the middle finger for trigger 😠

Because you keep getting shot by us? 🖕 :P

It was standard and even recommended into the early 20th century, and seems to have died out because of gun design rather than an inherent flaw in the method.

With recoil, I can see the purpose of maximising grip.  But we don't have that issue, and I prefer middle finger triggering.  For one thing, it gives a more direct backwards pull, especially for those of us with stubby fingers.

Give it a try, you may find yourself converted to middle finger blasting.

59 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Apparently Bruce Willis is deaf in left ear due to filming 'Die Hard' where he shoots from under table because he forgot to put in ear plugs with gun right next to his head.

A bit silly since all gun sounds are added after filming but use blanks for realistic weapon function.

I some times use my middle finger when I am clay shooting my trigger finger goes dead after shooting more than 20 rounds 12 gauge its old age lol

On 6/15/2018 at 2:08 PM, Prisce said:

Shooter. That’s the name of that film.

Carlos Hathcock would like to have a word with you.

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Because you keep getting shot by us? 🖕 :P

It was standard and even recommended into the early 20th century, and seems to have died out because of gun design rather than an inherent flaw in the method.

With recoil, I can see the purpose of maximising grip.  But we don't have that issue, and I prefer middle finger triggering.  For one thing, it gives a more direct backwards pull, especially for those of us with stubby fingers.

Give it a try, you may find yourself converted to middle finger blasting.

Hehehe, I'm not gona give you grief for it but with all the attention to detail and realism that some people go for in airsoft I find it funny to see.

Feels too weird for me :D

15 hours ago, Tommikka said:

There were vast unprofessional army’s formed up a mix of hard experience learned fast in preceding years plus those who went from training to invasion

For much of their time they are potentially around the corner of danger and need to be the first to pull the trigger.  Trigger discipline came later in history 

Never thought about the citizen/soldier side of it.

point shooting is pretty accurate. spent a short time 'aiming' at things in the room using that method and it was pretty accurate.  can imagine my forefinger fouling up the slide however

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, kasaran said:

point shooting is pretty accurate. spent a short time 'aiming' at things in the room using that method and it was pretty accurate.  can imagine my forefinger fouling up the slide however

Sure, thus the advice to not do it with a 1911.  I'm pov-spec though, I only run AEGs and AEPs, on which it works just fine. ;)

On 6/15/2018 at 9:20 PM, emilianoksa said:

Yes I did. Thanks for correcting me.

Yes the chances of hearing anything after a firefight in a small room are pretty thin. A rifle fired a couple feet from your ear is going to give you more than a concert level of ear ringing, probably for days.

British Army is braced for a lot of permanent hearing damage claims. On a Military Range now as part of the Ammo Declaration we ask about hearing damage.   Mod is looking into suppressing all small arms for this reason along with other measures to combat the problem.

Archived