Airsoft Ruined Movies For Me

Duff
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So yeah, ever since I've taken an interest into the hobby I have slowly started noticing how often airsoft RIF's are used as props in movies.

Nothing worse than watching an intense scene where a guy has a gun pointed to his head, when you notice on the slide "6mm Calibre."

I see M4's and MP5's and the like in shows like FTWD now and all I see are airsoft toys.

Has this always been the case? Is it just easier and cheaper for props to be sourced this way now?

Discuss...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

I remember when the Expendables first came out you could see a high cap mag wheel on a promotional poster on an f2000

I believe if they used Airsoft guns over real deal stuff using blanks they don't need to have professional instructors or people to oversee their use etc so saves money that way

Edit: here

The_Expendables-469507753-large.jpg

• Supporters

What takes me out of shooter is seeing how the actors handle the guns and stuff like is the dust cover up / trigger discipline..
I mean I'm no expert but come on! This dude is supposed to be a cop with years of experience using firearms. 

Pretty sure I've seen a few scenes in movies where the fire select is set to 'safe' too :lol:

walking_dead_guns.jpg

• Supporters

always the way, it also ruined video games for me, now every time i'm in battlefield or cod its always a case of "i am so dead now" every 20 seconds....

I've never actually noticed it, now I'll be constantly looking for it😒

TWD is one of my favourite shows as well

Yup! I'm starting to notice it too :lol:
I can't find good pictures, but Colin Salmon in Resident Evil prefers his grenade launcher trigger !

image.png.59c72f3d34ae36dbb7d4ae07ff55c809.png

image.thumb.png.da6f96d18c3f5d0d9ac8067c316a4c2a.png

image.png

image.png

Yep this has been the way for years, i used to supply guns to Pinewood studios

This is why Finn uses a JG G36 in the force awakens, you can thank me for that gun 😛

• Moderators

@Duff take a look here, usually accurate but yeah there are plastic death machines used in some films / shows

In 

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

trying to remember which ones now....

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/American_Sniper

300px-AmericanSniper92FS.jpg

and if you want the rifle

https://propstore.com/movie/american-sniper/

• Supporters

What's not to like about airsoft guns from an armourer's POV?  Cheap, easily obtainable, safe, 1:1 replicas, they even have working blowback mechanisms if you want to CGI the bangy bits in later.

But using a hi-cap magazine in a promo shot?  That's hilarious. :D

Bad trigger discipline is useful for showing that nobody involved in the production gave a God-damn, so you can bail early.  I'm looking at you, Stratton.

Not directly related, my biggest movie gun gripes - which I didnt notice before I got into airsoft is the hammer cocking sound when people draw glocks and all the pistols kept in condition 3 (magazine in, chamber empty) - which necessitates the constant slide racking "menace" - which screams incompetant.

Person of interest is an example of a show with lots of guns - lots of airsoft pistols too.

I had not realised it was a way to save money on regulation compliance, in any case I think it's quite cool. It generally doesn't detract from movies/shows for me, but it can be a bit anoying when characters are "checking" something and because they have an airsoft gun that gun in their hand could never answer the question - ie they're checking the rounds left in the magazine and you can see the bb feeder spring on the front.

• Supporters

oh the old hammer cocking thing annoys me, especially in westerns when you're talking single action only revolvers. whats the point of trying to threaten someone with a gun you know won't fire when you pull the trigger?

• Supporters

And people racking shotguns when all they're doing is ejecting a perfectly good shell.

On the subject of airsoft weapons, I was watching the new MacGyver last week and they opened up a crate of M4s proudly displaying their hicap winding wheels. I don't get why they can't even swap them out for mids?

• Supporters

Ah yes, "Hollywood mags". The ability to kill half the Wehrmacht and only change mag once (as demonstrated in Where Eagles Dare).

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Lozart said:

And people racking shotguns when all they're doing is ejecting a perfectly good shell.

On the subject of airsoft weapons, I was watching the new MacGyver last week and they opened up a crate of M4s proudly displaying their hicap winding wheels. I don't get why they can't even swap them out for mids?

damn i missed that....will have to recover deleted show and watch it again!

do you know what episode it was :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, djben9 said:

damn i missed that....will have to recover deleted show and watch it again!

do you know what episode it was :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't remember to be honest, they all kind of blur into one when you're binge watching your DVR!

Might even have been on Hawaii 5-O!

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Duff said:

I think you need to re-evaluate your entertainment values sir.

Nope, I'm good thanks.

The main thing that bugs me about guns on some hows, ESPECIALLY TWD, is the complete absence of any Recoil! Like the episodes we see Carl (when hes not being a whiny little bitch) using Rick's .357 magnum colt python firing off 2 dozen shots one handed with pinpoint accuracy and no recoil whatsoever, when in reality it should be throwing a little preteen bitch across the room :P

Also on a trivia note, I believe I recall reading somewhere that the reason the main weapon in Metal Gear Solid being the Mk23 SOCOM and the FAMAS was due to those being the only guns Tokyo Marui could give to the production team to model them off.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

Also on a trivia note, I believe I recall reading somewhere that the reason the main weapon in Metal Gear Solid being the Mk23 SOCOM and the FAMAS was due to those being the only guns Tokyo Marui could give to the production team to model them off.

Could be right when was the MGS released? The TM FAMAS was launched in '94 I believe

Don't know about ruined movies for me, but I do find myself sitting there cataloguing the guns ! But to agree with an earlier comment I do hate the 'cocking' sound when applied to Glocks , it up there with tyre squeal on a dirt road 😡 

My favourite is when the gun runs out of ammo and the character keeps pulling the trigger and you get the repeated clicking (ok if it's a double action but it never is). Bonus points if the bolt or slide doesn't lock back. 

• Supporters

My all time favorite is the first matrix film when the they go to rescue Morpheus , Neo’s blasting away with a matched pair of 32acp scorpions !☠️

AND you see lots and lots and lots of 5.56 cases raining down on the floor ! 🤦‍♂️

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Nick G said:

I do hate the 'cocking' sound when applied to Glocks , it up there with tyre squeal on a dirt road

Metal door creeeeak.  Sound effects haven't actually changed in decades.

On that, I get why gunfire has to be quietened down for dramatic reasons, but reducing suppressed guns to an almost silent "Phut, phut" rather takes the biscuit.

Archived