Airsoft Forums UK
Duff

Airsoft Ruined Movies For Me

So yeah, ever since I've taken an interest into the hobby I have slowly started noticing how often airsoft RIF's are used as props in movies.

Nothing worse than watching an intense scene where a guy has a gun pointed to his head, when you notice on the slide "6mm Calibre."

I see M4's and MP5's and the like in shows like FTWD now and all I see are airsoft toys.

Has this always been the case? Is it just easier and cheaper for props to be sourced this way now?

Discuss...

I remember when the Expendables first came out you could see a high cap mag wheel on a promotional poster on an f2000

I believe if they used Airsoft guns over real deal stuff using blanks they don't need to have professional instructors or people to oversee their use etc so saves money that way

Edit: here

The_Expendables-469507753-large.jpg

What takes me out of shooter is seeing how the actors handle the guns and stuff like is the dust cover up / trigger discipline..
I mean I'm no expert but come on! This dude is supposed to be a cop with years of experience using firearms. 

Pretty sure I've seen a few scenes in movies where the fire select is set to 'safe' too :lol:

walking_dead_guns.jpg

24 minutes ago, M_P said:

I remember when the Expendables first came out you could see a high cap mag wheel on a promotional poster on an f2000

I believe if they used Airsoft guns over real deal stuff using blanks they don't need to have professional instructors or people to oversee their use etc so saves money that way

Edit: here

The_Expendables-469507753-large.jpg

Oh good Lord that's....

17 minutes ago, Gepard said:

What takes me out of shooter is seeing how the actors handle the guns and stuff like is the dust cover up / trigger discipline..
I mean I'm no expert but come on! This dude is supposed to be a cop with years of experience using firearms. 

Pretty sure I've seen a few scenes in movies where the fire select is set to 'safe' too :lol:

walking_dead_guns.jpg

None more guilty than TWD where you see people full-auto off screen whilst waving the barrel left and right - looking at you Mr Reedus. 

always the way, it also ruined video games for me, now every time i'm in battlefield or cod its always a case of "i am so dead now" every 20 seconds....

I've never actually noticed it, now I'll be constantly looking for it😒

TWD is one of my favourite shows as well

Yup! I'm starting to notice it too :lol:
I can't find good pictures, but Colin Salmon in Resident Evil prefers his grenade launcher trigger !

image.png.59c72f3d34ae36dbb7d4ae07ff55c809.png

image.thumb.png.da6f96d18c3f5d0d9ac8067c316a4c2a.png

image.png

image.png

18 minutes ago, ibo7 said:

I've never actually noticed it, now I'll be constantly looking for it😒

TWD is one of my favourite shows as well

Sorry about that...

14 minutes ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

Yep this has been the way for years, i used to supply guns to Pinewood studios

This is why Finn uses a JG G36 in the force awakens, you can thank me for that gun 😛

Umm... thanks? 

Is Finn the ugly girl with the evil dolls face?

@Duff take a look here, usually accurate but yeah there are plastic death machines used in some films / shows

In 

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

trying to remember which ones now....

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/American_Sniper

300px-AmericanSniper92FS.jpg

and if you want the rifle

https://propstore.com/movie/american-sniper/

29 minutes ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

5-RV-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-The-Visual-Dictionary.jpg

Ugh... I missed this because I avoided the stampede that is millenails loving the new Star Wars tripe Disney keep dumping out. Just looking at that actor hold that makes me want to set him on fire.

9 minutes ago, djben9 said:

@Duff take a look here, usually accurate but yeah there are plastic death machines used in some films / shows

In 

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

trying to remember which ones now....

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/American_Sniper

300px-AmericanSniper92FS.jpg

and if you want the rifle

https://propstore.com/movie/american-sniper/

I'd rather keep the mystery alive for as long as possible instead of expanding my knowledge of "films that have shit props" in them.

3 minutes ago, Duff said:

I'd rather keep the mystery alive for as long as possible instead of expanding my knowledge of "films that have shit props" in them.

I know what you mean :)

i usually look to see what accessories they have...

One of my biggest gripes is how bad the latex melee props are, especially on TWD. Back in't day when I LARP'd I used to make loads of my own knives and daggers from froam, carving them by hand and most if not all of my blades looked very real, especially at a glance or in a photo. Yet I see people trying to kill zombies with what looks like cardboard wrapped in gaffa tape and I just....

...HOW!?? WHY!?!?! I thought production cost money!?

What's not to like about airsoft guns from an armourer's POV?  Cheap, easily obtainable, safe, 1:1 replicas, they even have working blowback mechanisms if you want to CGI the bangy bits in later.

But using a hi-cap magazine in a promo shot?  That's hilarious. :D

Bad trigger discipline is useful for showing that nobody involved in the production gave a God-damn, so you can bail early.  I'm looking at you, Stratton.

35 minutes ago, Duff said:

...HOW!?? WHY!?!?! I thought production cost money!?

Not TWD. They've cut the budget ever since Season 1..

Not directly related, my biggest movie gun gripes - which I didnt notice before I got into airsoft is the hammer cocking sound when people draw glocks and all the pistols kept in condition 3 (magazine in, chamber empty) - which necessitates the constant slide racking "menace" - which screams incompetant.

Person of interest is an example of a show with lots of guns - lots of airsoft pistols too.

I had not realised it was a way to save money on regulation compliance, in any case I think it's quite cool. It generally doesn't detract from movies/shows for me, but it can be a bit anoying when characters are "checking" something and because they have an airsoft gun that gun in their hand could never answer the question - ie they're checking the rounds left in the magazine and you can see the bb feeder spring on the front.

oh the old hammer cocking thing annoys me, especially in westerns when you're talking single action only revolvers. whats the point of trying to threaten someone with a gun you know won't fire when you pull the trigger?

And people racking shotguns when all they're doing is ejecting a perfectly good shell.

On the subject of airsoft weapons, I was watching the new MacGyver last week and they opened up a crate of M4s proudly displaying their hicap winding wheels. I don't get why they can't even swap them out for mids?

10 minutes ago, Lozart said:

And people racking shotguns when all they're doing is ejecting a perfectly good shell.

Not ot mention most shotguns don't carry very many rounds and yet we see people fire off at least 10 shots before the gun is *click* "empty."

I mean you'd know by the racking if there was a fresh slug in the chamber or not...

Just now, Duff said:

Not ot mention most shotguns don't carry very many rounds and yet we see people fire off at least 10 shots before the gun is *click* "empty."

Ah yes, "Hollywood mags". The ability to kill half the Wehrmacht and only change mag once (as demonstrated in Where Eagles Dare).

17 minutes ago, Lozart said:

On the subject of airsoft weapons, I was watching the new MacGyver last week and they opened up a crate of M4s proudly displaying their hicap winding wheels. I don't get why they can't even swap them out for mids?

damn i missed that....will have to recover deleted show and watch it again!

do you know what episode it was :lol: :lol: :lol:

11 minutes ago, djben9 said:

damn i missed that....will have to recover deleted show and watch it again!

do you know what episode it was :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't remember to be honest, they all kind of blur into one when you're binge watching your DVR!

Might even have been on Hawaii 5-O!

2 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Can't remember to be honest, they all kind of blur into one when you're binge watching your DVR!

Might even have been on Hawaii 5-O!

I think you need to re-evaluate your entertainment values sir.