Target Shooting.

Qlimax
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So I recently became a qualified N.S.R.A Range Conducting Officer for the company I work for which licenses me to run a range from .22LF through to .303 winchester. With this I now run Marksmanship courses for company employees which has gotten me back into target shooting which I've not done for years.

Wanted to see if anyone else does it and where you go to shoot. 

A few weeks back I got a chance to run a competition day and shot someone's .22LF at the end of the day. Didn't do too bad, 100Ft with iron sights. Nailed it.

I run a springer air rifle and a pre-charge rifle as well. The pre-charge is just awesome.

IMG_2100.jpg

• Supporters

I love airsoft but barely get chance to play these days since changing jobs but this I get the chance once per month which helps keep my aim spot on for when I do get to play airsoft 😁😁

Used to help out at Scouts a lot and my day job takes me to outdoor centres with rifle shooting. Never done much more that that with cheapo air rifles but would love too, im not a bad shot in all honesty.

Last time I had a go we had these 6x6 targets with little targets in each corner (a brand logo or something) and quite a distance. Managed to bullseye all five targets inc the tiny ones, was quite proud :)

If those targets were at 100 yards on open sights then that is bloody good shooting. Was that rested or freehand?  I only shoot PCP and CO2 rifle & pistol these days at our local gun club and have seen people there shooting .22LR (AR) and 7.62 (AK) rested with a scope at 25 yards and scoring far worse than that.  Mind you, I think some of them only have an FAC for the "my pr**ks bigger than yours" effect, as they don't have a clue how to shoot properly. Given their rifles I could probably put all within the 10 ring. With my PCPs (AA S200 & S400) at our club range I'm rarely outside of the inner ring at 25 yards on a 20 meter bench rest target.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, RR01 said:

If those targets were at 100 yards on open sights then that is bloody good shooting. Was that rested or freehand?  I only shoot PCP and CO2 rifle & pistol these days at our local gun club and have seen people there shooting .22LR (AR) and 7.62 (AK) rested with a scope at 25 yards and scoring far worse than that.  Mind you, I think some of them only have an FAC for the "my pr**ks bigger than yours" effect, as they don't have a clue how to shoot properly. Given their rifles I could probably put all within the 10 ring. With my PCPs (AA S200 & S400) at our club range I'm rarely outside of the inner ring at 25 yards on a 20 meter bench rest target.

Shots were taken with iron sights only and rested by standing in a diamond stance with my left arm stretched out leaning against a post (pillar). 

I'm sure they would have been a bit tighter if I was on a proper rifle rest :)

Snap

• Supporters
17 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

thread has got me thinking, going to look into clubs/ranges near me now

17 hours ago, MisterG said:

Snap

Oops ive started something now ah. I’m quite liking target shooting. Having a PCP rifle is quality and far better than using spring. 

22 hours ago, Qlimax said:

Oops ive started something now ah. I’m quite liking target shooting. Having a PCP rifle is quality and far better than using spring. 

I had a Weihrauch HW97K spring underlever, as well as the PCP and found it almost as accurate as the AA S400. I sold it to a mate in the gun club, as I have problem with my shoulder and could not cock it easily. He's now shooting groups that almost match mine on 20 meter bench rest competitions, where the central ring is only about 5.5mm across. According to our local RFD the HW97K, which has a 12in barrel, is the most accurate rifle that Weihrauch produce, according to their own tests.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, RR01 said:

I had a Weihrauch HW97K spring underlever, as well as the PCP and found it almost as accurate as the AA S400. I sold it to a mate in the gun club, as I have problem with my shoulder and could not cock it easily. He's now shooting groups that almost match mine on 20 meter bench rest competitions, where the central ring is only about 5.5mm across. According to our local RFD the HW97K, which has a 12in barrel, is the most accurate rifle that Weihrauch produce, according to their own tests.

I have a Weihrauch HW95 and I’m running an Air Arms S410 PCP which is just mint, that has a sound moderator on it, but you wouldn’t think so given the crack it makes.

Once I’ve sharpened up on my shooting I’m considering getting into competition shooting and joining a local shooting club as well.

On 6/15/2018 at 4:24 PM, Qlimax said:

I have a Weihrauch HW95 and I’m running an Air Arms S410 PCP which is just mint, that has a sound moderator on it, but you wouldn’t think so given the crack it makes.

Once I’ve sharpened up on my shooting I’m considering getting into competition shooting and joining a local shooting club as well.

I've taken the mod off of my S400 and put an air stripper on.  The crack on firing is very nice, although nowhere near the volume of a 0.38 being fired in a small, indoor range.

Definitely look for a local club.  If you can find one with both indoor and outdoor ranges then you open up your shooting options.

• Supporters

Found a club which is 10 minutes from my house that I never knew was there lol. Looking forward to going down and actually do some shooting rather that running a range and watching others shoot

• Supporters

This is my Air Arms S410F. Love it and for a £900 setup it’s a cracking little air rifle. 

23B1896D-0488-4724-BCD8-D81D6DB2A1A9.jpeg

Now you're all talking my language! I love airsoft but have done a lot more airgun shooting. Just waiting to go this afternoon for a few hours of plinking with my PCP and pistols.

I've only shot a .22 rimfire once at a shooting show, I would love to do more firearm target shooting. My airgun club actually backs onto the rifle and shotgun club, defo want to get more involved in that.

• Supporters

The range I use to teach staff at work UK legislation/law and shooting is a clay pigeon site which is awesome. I'm looking to purchase a .22 rimfire myself. 

I love my PCP, got to drill the lower frame so i can attached sling swivels for a bipod and sling. I'm tempted to camo the lower but not sure yet.

There is a indoor 25m range near me they have like 20 bolt action rifles with liek 6-8x scopes and bipods on them. and one AR & Ak platform with fixed iron sights. I grew up with rifles like the Lee enfield 303 so shooting iron signts isnt an issue. Needless to say the guy working the range seemed taken back to see some one who could actually hold a decent group with out the fancy attached bullSh*t.

I dont hold anything against target shooters but thats stupid jacket which clamps your arm into a fixed base just nulls a shooters skill imho but i was raised always being told not to use aids. 

I dont know if im even making a point now, think ive gone on a bit of a rant.

19 hours ago, Qlimax said:

This is my Air Arms S410F. Love it and for a £900 setup it’s a cracking little air rifle. 

23B1896D-0488-4724-BCD8-D81D6DB2A1A9.jpeg

Air Arms are absolute classic air rifles, love em!

• Supporters

Air arms is great. I love mine. 

Well me being me I’ve just purchased a Sabatti Tactical Scout .223. Why not. 

• Supporters

Quick bit of drilling into the frame and the bipod is fitted. Going to a long distance range to see how far out it’ll go. 

16BFFC6F-C064-4DFD-A8F3-DE4F13EB2050.jpeg

0E745D41-20F1-4E6B-A8FF-899C3A641EFC.jpeg

• Supporters

Took my air rifle out for the first time. Harder to get a decent tight grouping when compared to a .22LF. 

25metres it’s nice and accurate but 30m (100ft) it struggles a bit to get the range. 108ft (33m) is as far as I reckon it’ll go with the pellets I had today. Grouping even harder at that range having to aim above the target to get it on target. 

C8126E26-C0DA-4FDF-9732-33A965FFB16A.jpeg

5C59A635-E683-4128-AD3D-C27DEE560B09.jpeg

I used to shoot a lot, mostly .22 and 9mm pistols. I enquired at a couple of local places when I moved back to the UK, but I found it pretty unfriendly and they weren’t interested in any conversation. The local shooting clubs seemed more like some group of old shotgun buddies who reeled at the idea of someone under the age of 50 coming within a hundred feet of them. Didn’t exactly do the stereotype much good.

Archived