Tears of the sun inspired loadout

ghostwalker

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So over the past few months i have been trying to come up with an idea for a loadout that isn't just multicam/mtp.

After a lot of thought i got it down to somewhere between a ww2 british airborn soldier, something vietnamish or the current thought of the fairly nice looking get up worn by the cast in 'Tears of the sun'.

I have done a heck of a lot of googling but most threads concern kit available a good 10 years ago and some of it seems incredibly difficult to obtain or ridiculously expensive to import.

So i thought i would turn to you my find band of happy bb slinging folks for assistance in coming up with something similar but also readily available and then maybe chart the progress along the way.

My initial aim is to do 'Waters' kit aka Bruce Willis.

A quick google provides the following kit list courtesy of the Mundo Airsoft blog

Clothing:
-BDU M81 Woodland Raid (Both bottom moved to arms) (should be fairly easy to find)
–Flyer nomex gloves black.  (regular ones, no Blackhawk logo on them) (easy enough to find)
-Black shirt. (Any base layer in black should suffice)
–Danner Acadia 8″ Boots (Thinking any decent high ankle military boots as these boys are insanely expensive)

1st Line:
-Blackhawk Riggers Rescue Belt Black (£45 so an alternative wouldn't be a bad call)
–BlackHawk BTS double pistol mag pouch (easily found)
-Blackhawk BTS Double pistol mag with talonflex black (Left on both pictures) (easily found)
 –Large lefty Omega holster black oldgen (2 leg straps, ins’t the MK23 one.) (I will probably swap this out for a right handed airsoft grade holster)

2nd Line:
–Alice pistol bet with fastex black (fairly easy find or alternative find)
–Blackhaw H Harness Spec OPs OD (Incredibly difficult to find and expensive Thinking a normal H harness from blackhawk as easier to get)
–Blackhawk non locking carabiner (Left shoulder) (Easy find in both BH or cheaper version)
–2x Usgi Alice triple mag pouch (With 4x M67 Hand grenade) (easy find ebay etc)
–Blachawk Enhaced Buttpack OD  (This seems a little harder to find in OD any alternative suggestions)
–Blackhawk Alice Tac Vest Radio Pouch OD (Alice and BTS attached to buttpack side) (EASYish find in alternative brands)
–USGI Alice canteen pouch (Easy find)

Various: (Maybe when everything else is done)
–Motorola Astro Saber radio.
–Tea Lash 1 throat mic (Some scenes)
–Tea Lash 1 with Lash 2 ptt (the one we see almost all movie, old gen Lash2 with Lash 1 ear pice)
–Casio G Shock DW-004VE-1V (Right wrist)
–Emerson Kandahar knife (Left leg)

Blasters: Will probably build off either a tm or kwa base rif
–M4A1
–Car15 stock
–Stock pad
–KAC RAS covers (Lateral and bottom rails)
–KAC vertical grip (Easy find)
–D Bal w/ remote swith on grip (Either a peq box style or functional one)
–Aimpoint w/ Z mount (should be fairly easy to find in airsoft)
-Sling swivel
–GG&G A2 MBUIS rear sight (Not 100% sure on an airsoft version of these)
-Handmade black sling, seat belt syle. (Will be replaced with some sort of black sling)

–TM MK23 w/ KAC silencer

Things i will likely not even try to get as they are either impossible or not really needed for airsoft or illegal for airsoft lol)

-SOG X-42 Recondo. Kydex sheat w/ leg strap

–Emerson Police Utility Knife, kydex sheat. Satin finish no serrations. (Right shoulder)

-PVS 14
–ITT PVS 14 QD Mount

Weapons and comms aside. Some of the bits seems difficult to find. Especially things like the Blackhawk H harness special ops in OD. So i was thinking of using the standard blackhawk h harness as the only major differences i can see are the cross strap supports. Some of the other odds and ends are also impossible to find it seems, but possibly replaced with standard alice pouches or mentioned ideas.

So i was wondering if anyone could suggest good alternatives to some of the difficult to find/super expensive items.

Bruce-Willis-Tears-of-the-sun.jpg

Tears-of-the-Sun-A-K-Waters-Bruce-Willis-Webbing-1.jpg

I have moved away from replica loadouts as they tended not to suit how I played, or became too damn expensive but totally appreciate the efforts going into them even though they are not my thing.

I would start with all the basic easy to grab items, and make do in the mean time with almost/that'l do type alternatives for the rest until the correct ones crop up.

Other that that piece of sage wisdom I am no use with gear so good luck and update us often with new finds for the build :) 

Guest pierce09

Most of this kit is easily available from US locations, either eBay or on forums and Facebook pages catering for 90’s loadouts. 

Check out DevTsix forums for any information on NSW kit from pre 2000’s and that should help as well. 

• Supporters

My team did this one a few yrs ago (we’ve all been playing 15yrs+)and we frequently get an ‘itch’ to do a themed loadout . I did Doc , one lad did a caucasian silk , one did Lake and another did Slo . We gave up on the H-harnesses and used normal Alice yokes but cut off a few bits to make them more ‘H’ looking (I also opened the stitching on the cross back panel so I could straighten the straps a bit more then re-stitched it . You can sort most of the gear you need from normal surplus kit that you just need to mod it a bit to look like the real McCoy.

as an example I bought a cheap ass molle pack to use as the trauma pack , cut off all the extra pouches and molle to be left with a big square pack that looked like a real one , bought a bog standard LBV un-picked all the mag pouches (on the standard issue one there angled but lake has the model with vertical pouches) re-stitched them on , sorted ! 

10 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

My team did this one a few yrs ago (we’ve all been playing 15yrs+)and we frequently get an ‘itch’ to do a themed loadout . I did Doc , one lad did a caucasian silk , one did Lake and another did Slo . We gave up on the H-harnesses and used normal Alice yokes but cut off a few bits to make them more ‘H’ looking (I also opened the stitching on the cross back panel so I could straighten the straps a bit more then re-stitched it . You can sort most of the gear you need from normal surplus kit that you just need to mod it a bit to look like the real McCoy.

as an example I bought a cheap ass molle pack to use as the trauma pack , cut off all the extra pouches and molle to be left with a big square pack that looked like a real one , bought a bog standard LBV un-picked all the mag pouches (on the standard issue one there angled but lake has the model with vertical pouches) re-stitched them on , sorted ! 

I was thinking of buying the standard alice butt pack off of soldier of fortune and the just modding the clips as thats one of the harder to find bits. I was going to get the standard blackhawk h harness as the spec ops one is liking rocking horse poop

So i started piecing this together today.

Not everything is going to accurate as thats just not possible or within my measly wage lol.

Bulle Woodland bdu top and bottom ordered from flecktarn. (its pre 'raid' modded with exterior velcro for the patch whore in me. Not 100% accurate though)

Blackhawk load bearing suspenders, usgi triple mag pouches with grenade pouches, usgi water bottle and pouch all ordered from flea bay.

Alice belt with fastex fastening, alice butt pack ordered from Soldier or fortune.

Also ordered a boonie hat to protect my perfect brown locks. Alright to keep the sun off the receding bits!

Still need to find a mk23 compatible drop leg holster.

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, ghostwalker said:

Still need to find a mk23 compatible drop leg holster.

Looks like a Blackhawk Omega universal dropleg to me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACKHAWK-Omega-Universal-Modular-Holster/dp/B004T0WVBS

7 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Looks like a Blackhawk Omega universal dropleg to me.

Any suggestions for something thats looks similar but doesnt have a 70-100 price tag on it?

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, ghostwalker said:

Any suggestions for something thats looks similar but doesnt have a 70-100 price tag on it?

https://www.military1st.co.uk/ttlh-002-condor-tornado-tactical-leg-holster-black.html

http://www.taiwangun.com/en/holsters/universal-drop-leg-large-pistol-holster-black-8fields?from=listing&campaign-id=21

I have a cheapo holster on order at the moment from amazon. It had decent enough reviews but we shall see.

• Supporters

Can vouch for the TG one , bought one for my boy in camo , cracking holster .

I have this one coming via amazon. Like i say cheap n cheerful. Could be utter dross in which case i will replace it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KKC86HW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3J4T4UOPA54LY&psc=1

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ghostwalker said:

I have this one coming via amazon. Like i say cheap n cheerful. Could be utter dross in which case i will replace it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KKC86HW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3J4T4UOPA54LY&psc=1

To be honest mate those Velcro flappy ones are pretty 🤮

I fear that but figured for a tenner worth a punt. If it is as bad as that I have a back up idea. Tracking abboackhawk one on flea bay. 

Delivery day is always the best day. 

Cheap holster is decent enough as a get me by. The Velcro is really secure and it holds my current ics ble xae pistol safely (will get a mk23 when the bank manager stops crying). 

So the list so far

bulle woodland bud trouser, too and boonie. The top is raid modified. 

Alice belt with 2 mag pouches with grenade pouches, Alice water bottle pouch and bottle. Alice buttpack (will try to modify to be similar to the Blackhawk enhances one). All strung on a Blackhawk load bearing suspended set (spec ops harness is rare as rocking horse poop in od). 

Black generic belt with drop leg holster. 

B4CDAC55-C75B-438B-B6EE-AD4349024AA8.jpeg

Will take a while to get used to the drop leg as I haven’t worn one in years. 

The other problem being most are built for racing snakes. Not guys with 26 inch muscular thighs lol. 

My normal pistol holster is built into a warrior load bearing vest pocket. So this will atleast be more accessible in a hurry. 

• Supporters
On 23/06/2018 at 13:15, ghostwalker said:

Delivery day is always the best day. 

Cheap holster is decent enough as a get me by. The Velcro is really secure and it holds my current ics ble xae pistol safely (will get a mk23 when the bank manager stops crying). 

So the list so far

bulle woodland bud trouser, too and boonie. The top is raid modified. 

Alice belt with 2 mag pouches with grenade pouches, Alice water bottle pouch and bottle. Alice buttpack (will try to modify to be similar to the Blackhawk enhances one). All strung on a Blackhawk load bearing suspended set (spec ops harness is rare as rocking horse poop in od). 

Black generic belt with drop leg holster. 

B4CDAC55-C75B-438B-B6EE-AD4349024AA8.jpeg

Obviously it’s fresh out of the bag but bloody hell that camo is bright ! 

Does it feel as ‘nylon’ish’ as it looks ? Think ya going to be doing a shitload of washing it to try and ‘tone it down’ a bit ! 😉

It’s fairly stiff straight out of the bag but probably not as bright as it looks as that was taken in a brightly lit front room. 

It’s going to see the washing machine a few times to try and soften the material up a bit.

The olive stuff is a fairly dark olive and that looks fairly bright in the pic lol. 

Ofcourse it all needs dirtying up. Which is a terrible shame as that means having to play more airsoft. The tragedy!  Starting this weekend with the asg blaster tour. 

8 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Obviously it’s fresh out of the bag but bloody hell that camo is bright ! 

Does it feel as ‘nylon’ish’ as it looks ? Think ya going to be doing a shitload of washing it to try and ‘tone it down’ a bit ! 😉

One random question. Any suggestions on a washing detergent that doesn’t contain brightners? 

• Supporters

Get the cheapest shit you can’t find and wash them a good few times with it but make sure you wash them inside out so ‘hopfully’ Won’t fade too much just dull it down a bit .

But one thing I would say is be aware you’ll never get it as subdued in colour as to film kit as there kit is real issues ripstop , which is 100% cotton with a cris cross of nylon threads so stop long tares in the material . 

I have some cheapo lidl stuff so hoping that will be ok. It's a liquid washing powder which as i understand lacks the bleaching element.

A future purchase will probably have to be some proper ripstop bdu's. But currently losing weight so I didn't want to spend a ton on stuff that would end up too big (7lbs off in just over a week!!).

The trousers and top are these ones. https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/usccs3na.html

will bear that in mind. More settings on our washing machine and dryer than there is on the average smart phone.

• Supporters

I’m old enough to be one of the people who helped spawn this creature ! 😖

41 minutes ago, ghostwalker said:

I have some cheapo lidl stuff so hoping that will be ok. It's a liquid washing powder which as i understand lacks the bleaching element.

A future purchase will probably have to be some proper ripstop bdu's. But currently losing weight so I didn't want to spend a ton on stuff that would end up too big (7lbs off in just over a week!!).

The trousers and top are these ones. https://www.flecktarn.co.uk/usccs3na.html

Don’t need to spend that much mate , wether it’s from fleabay or someone like ‘surplus and outdoors’ you can pick them from £9 per item for real US bdu’s .

2717C744-BF38-44F6-B67A-E72617349D96.jpeg

Just now, Druid799 said:

I’m old enough to be one of the people who helped spawn this creature ! 😖

Don’t need to spend that much mate , wether it’s from fleabay or someone like ‘surplus and outdoors’ you can pick them from £9 per item for real US bdu’s .

I was hunting for them before i got the stuff off flecktarn. Couldn't find any in my size or in some cases they looked completely different patterns of Woodland camo. Will keep my eyes open though.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.