Camera Loadout??

C28
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, so im so new here even i don't know where to begin haha. 

Anyhow this is my first thread,

Currently living in China but will be back in the UK in a few months in the hopes of starting Airsoft as a new hobby. 

Iv already started collectibg gear sych as tac vests, gloves , goggles etc

But my main issue is that iv been liiking at cameras as i want to be able record. 

I want x3

A selfie camera

A scope camera

And a helmet camera 

Could someone please recommend an ideal camera setup, (will it be an expensive loadout? I don't want it to cost me an arm and leg haha) 

Thank you in advance for your help ^^

• Supporters

Welcome! :)

If you're new to the sport (assuming so as you haven't mentioned playing yet) I advise renting for a bit to make sure it's something you enjoy before spending silly money. That goes for both buying gear and recording equipment. If you plan on recording for your own amusement and to a small audience you don't need 3 cameras, but I would say 2 is the bare minimum: a headcam and guncam. You'll need some decent editing software too. I use Sony Vegas Pro 11 for any YouTube content, as well as Audition for audio. 

Selfie cam - set it on the end of your gun, preferably on the side.

Scope cam - ideally placed on the top of the receiver/handguard/scope. Wherever you can fit it without hindering your sights. 

Helmet cam - Some stick it on the sides of helmets, but reversing a gopro style camera and then flipping the video in post gives the best POV. 

It won't be cheap. If you're going to start uploading content you'll want some decent quality cameras and put the effort in to make sure it's something people are going to want to watch. It doesn't have to be 4k, but 1080p would be a good starting point. A few to consider are the GoPro Hero series, Runcam 2, Contour Roam series and the Mobius Action Camera. Sure you might be able to find some decent cheap ones such as the YI Action Camera but you'll most likely sacrifice a lot of the quality - visual and audio - in the process if you don't pick right. 

You'll have to buy mounts and even housing cases to protect the camera in some cases. Brain Exploder make 3d printed ones if you can't find any for the camera you're looking for but they're pretty pricey for a bit of plastic. @Samurai might be able to help too, as he owns a 3d printer. Lens protectors to make sure you don't get your fancy cameras broken within the first 5 minutes is equally important. 

Memory Cards. A 64GB per camera should do the trick as long as you remember to switch them off on breaks! Batteries are also required. You'll need multiple per camera if you play for an entire day. You can get charging packs which will prolong the life. Very useful to have one on the back of your lid. 

Then if you've got all that you'll need the content. A fair few Airsoft YouTubers have quit producing content because they have to completely change up their playstyle in order to get good footage and ended up prioritizing it over having fun. Killed the game for them.

At the end of the day you're looking at spending at least a few hundred quid for the setup you have in mind, in addition to whatever editing software you choose (unless you pirate it). 

Not to put you off at all but there's a lot of parameters you need to consider. It's not just 'stick a camera on the end of your gun and upload in bulk'. Good for perhaps yourself, but not if you want any sort of audience. 

Thanks ever so much for replying @Gepard i appreciate you taking the time out to do so.

I think at the beginning it will just be for my own amusement, trial and error and such. 

But aye like you say i don't want to sacrifice gameplay for views. 

Just something i can watch back , help me improve etc. 

If you do upload use an original format. Don't copy Silo and do the pikey hit markers and the click bait video titles. I'll happily watch airsoft on YouTube when it isn't the same old shit.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Duff said:

If you do upload use an original format. Don't copy Silo and do the pikey hit markers and the click bait video titles. I'll happily watch airsoft on YouTube when it isn't the same old shit.

Hit markers in Airsoft have been around for ages. People like Silo just made it more mainstream. As for clickbait, well.. that's unfortunately what brings in the views.

Just experiment and see what you can create. Recording is just half the  ̶f̶u̶n̶  battle. Creating an entertaining video is arguably the hardest part of the process. 

Just now, Gepard said:

Hit markers in Airsoft have been around for ages. People like Silo just made it more mainstream. 

Just experiment and see what you can create. Recording is just half the fun. Creating an entertaining video is arguably the hardest part. 

There's a Greek dude who does it and he puts hit markers on hits that aren't even there, it's fuckign laughable and annoying. Node use the best hit FX if you ask me, red dot and a blip. Much beter than circa '99 Doom hit markers hahaha.... :)

3 hours ago, C28 said:

Thanks ever so much for replying @Gepard i appreciate you taking the time out to do so.

I think at the beginning it will just be for my own amusement, trial and error and such. 

But aye like you say i don't want to sacrifice gameplay for views. 

Just something i can watch back , help me improve etc. 

I bagged a go pro near the start of my airsoft journey, I recorded hours of game play with it on my head. I think I have watched about 20 mins of it all!!

Wasnt for me, got loads of shots of me waiting, a fair few of me waiting, and lots and lots of me waiting for the enemy. Plenty of action shots walking back to respawn, lots more walking back to respawn and the occasional one of me getting shot on the way back to respawn.

Cameras are not for me!!

"Just something i can watch back , help me improve etc. "

In all honesty, playing will help you improve, you can analyse your games all you want but nothing will beat being out on the field and playing. Use the money to pay for more games/kit if you are only doing it for gameplay and experience.

Archived