GBBR's and the police and crime act 2017

the guru
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As iv been looking around for a GBBR and see a lot are out of stock I had a thought what with the bill/act above are we going to see most GBBR's in the UK as all but a few OTTB fire well over 1.3 J and so under the act a section 5 firearm.

• Supporters

After section 57 insert—

57AException for airsoft guns

(1)An “airsoft gun” is not to be regarded as a firearm for the purposes of this Act.

(2)An “airsoft gun” is a barrelled weapon of any description which—

(a)is designed to discharge only a small plastic missile (whether or not it is also capable of discharging any other kind of missile), and

(b)is not capable of discharging a missile (of any kind) with kinetic energy at the muzzle of the weapon that exceeds the permitted level.

(3)“Small plastic missile” means a missile that—

(a)is made wholly or partly from plastics,

(b)is spherical, and

(c)does not exceed 8 millimetres in diameter.

(4)The permitted kinetic energy level is—

(a)in the case of a weapon which is capable of discharging two or more missiles successively without repeated pressure on the trigger, 1.3 joules;

(b)in any other case, 2.5 joules.

Going off that I don't see why anything will change, the limits are 370ish on .2 for a rifle that can fire full auto, it'll be up to the individual to make sure their gun fire's as such. Whether that's by using lower powered gas, an NPAS or similar. 

I think it'll be in your interests in getting your own chrono but I don't see GBBRs suddenly becoming less common or anything. It just means GBBR owners need to be on top of their guns a bit more but it's not a huge deal imo.

If you were worried I'd just get the gun set to semi only, you'd likely not use full auto in a GBBR anyway and it givesuch more leeway 

Archived