How long will my batteries last?

Sam.p
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

With my AEG, the batteries were 7, 1500 mAh batteries chained together. They are all 1.2 volts as well. Now the question is, how long will they last on semi auto? Will they last a full day of airsofting?

Image result for airsoft 1500 mah batterythey look like this if it helps

I was told that the mAh is an indicator of expected volume of shots but then they could have just been winding me up.

I'm a gullible little seahorse when it comes to stuff I don't know.

I’ve heard that too @Duff, apparently the same as mah for all batteries except Lipo, which is twice the mah. That’s an average dependant on many things when used in semi auto

6 minutes ago, E21A said:

I’ve heard that too @Duff, apparently the same as mah for all batteries except Lipo, which is twice the mah. That’s an average dependant on many things when used in semi auto

Yeah I was told to expect around 2000 shots for a 7.4 1100 lipo. 

Not being funny mate but we just explained the equation, do the math.

4 minutes ago, Sam.p said:

What would that be for mine then? I apologise, I'm very new to airsoft and am looking to start my first game fairly soon. 

What type of battery is it? 

2 minutes ago, E21A said:

What type of battery is it? 

It says its a NickelCadiumBattery. 1.2 volts SC whatever all that means.

5 minutes ago, Duff said:

Not being funny mate but we just explained the equation, do the math.

Ok, thanks for the help

1 minute ago, E21A said:

To answer your original question, no it probably won’t last all day 

ok thanks. I  was just looking It up and apparently they have a very high discharge rate so I will have to get another.

It's all about the cut off point for motor voltages. Once you hit the voltage where the motor can no longer spin the motor to speed the battery is dead.

You get less out of a Nimh over a lipo because of the discharge curves and operating voltages of the batteries.

Lipo holds a higher voltage for longer, so you get more shots out of one before the gearbox starts to slow.

Nimh on the other hand has a lower operating voltage and is safe to discharge to a much lower voltage than a lipo, so while you may have 1500mAh a portion of that will be at a voltage under the cut off for the motor And there is a long tail off where the battery will keep trying but working very slowly. If the application was lighter and voltage wasn't an issue then Nimh and lipo of the same capacity would last about the same time.  For airsoft however the batteries appear to have less capacity.

In addition to this Lipo is capable of delivering higher C ratings. So you get more amps out of one instantly, so the trigger performance and motor spin up times are faster.

In real terms this means you see about 60% of the capacity of a Nimh before you start thinking about a battery change. With Lipo that is closer to 90%.

Those 8.4v nimh stock cells are pretty poor in terms of capacity because of this. Seeing 60% of the discharge means they operate like a 900mah battery rather than a 1500mah. And the opperating voltage will average to about 6v.

A 7.4v 1500mah  lipo on the other hand will give you 1350mah capacity, and average about 7v for the bulk of the discharge.

For a decent day where you are not worried about battery life I try to take about 2000mah of capacity usable.

So in this instance it would be 3 of those Nimh, or 2 of the lipo.

A 7.4v 2200mah battery should see 1980mah of usable discharge and I would class them as an all day battery with perhaps 30 minutes on charge at lunch just to be on the safe side.

9 minutes ago, Sam.p said:

ok thanks. I  was just looking It up and apparently they have a very high discharge rate so I will have to get another.

A lot of sites will have charging stations you can use or outlets you can plug into to charge your battery. If you're not sure email the site and ask them.

3 minutes ago, Iceni said:

It's all about the cut off point for motor voltages. Once you hit the voltage where the motor can no longer spin the motor to speed the battery is dead.

You get less out of a Nimh over a lipo because of the discharge curves and operating voltages of the batteries.

Lipo holds a higher voltage for longer, so you get more shots out of one before the gearbox starts to slow.

Nimh on the other hand has a lower operating voltage and is safe to discharge to a much lower voltage than a lipo, so while you may have 1500mAh a portion of that will be at a voltage under the cut off for the motor And there is a long tail off where the battery will keep trying but working very slowly. If the application was lighter and voltage wasn't an issue then Nimh and lipo of the same capacity would last about the same time.  For airsoft however the batteries appear to have less capacity.

In addition to this Lipo is capable of delivering higher C ratings. So you get more amps out of one instantly, so the trigger performance and motor spin up times are faster.

In real terms this means you see about 60% of the capacity of a Nimh before you start thinking about a battery change. With Lipo that is closer to 90%.

Those 8.4v nimh stock cells are pretty poor in terms of capacity because of this. Seeing 60% of the discharge means they operate like a 900mah battery rather than a 1500mah. And the opperating voltage will average to about 6v.

A 7.4v 1500mah on the other hand will give you 1350mah capacity, and average about 7v for the bulk of the discharge.

For a decent day where you are not worried about battery life I try to take about 2000mah of capacity usable.

So in this instance it would be 3 of those Nimh, or 2 of the lipo.

A 7.4v 2200mah battery should see 1980mah of usable discharge and I would class them as an all day battery with perhaps 30 minutes on charge at lunch just to be on the safe side.

ok, I understand. Thanks for clearing it up. I will look into those batteries.

I've never changed a battery, during a skirmish.  With an AEG I'd get through about 3000 BBs outside ( 8.4v Nimh ), on full auto, I'd use less than half that number of BBs on semi in the Mall (11.1v Lipo).

Based on my experience of power tools, NiCAD isn't as good as NIMH, and they have moved away from NiCAD.  Is this a used battery?

You might get away with it, but there are many factors, which will influence how much juice you use up,  so would say get a spare, or recharge at lunch as mentioned previously.

Cheers

G

14 minutes ago, MisterG said:

I've never changed a battery, during a skirmish.  With an AEG I'd get through about 3000 BBs outside ( 8.4v Nimh ), on full auto, I'd use less than half that number of BBs on semi in the Mall (11.1v Lipo).

Based on my experience of power tools, NiCAD isn't as good as NIMH, and they have moved away from NiCAD.  Is this a used battery?

You might get away with it, but there are many factors, which will influence how much juice you use up,  so would say get a spare, or recharge at lunch as mentioned previously.

Cheers

G

It is a new battery. I will probably get a spare to take with me incase it dies like you said

Could I also use different batteries like a Lipo battery or a higher voltage battery in my AEG or does it have to be the same?

• Supporters

Semi auto, you might get a full day out of that.  It depends how trigger happy you are.  I've never gone through even a 1200 mAh battery in a day's play, but then I'm parsimonious.

That said, I do always bring a spare anyway.

I would encourage you to switch to 7.4V Lipos, and to rewire your gun to use Deans connectors[*].The lower voltage on 7.4V Lipos is compensated for by their much higher current delivery.

[*] what HobbyKing call "T" connectors. On that, their prices are so low that you might as well by 2 of any batteries that you're interested in.  https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries/airsoft.html

38 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

semi auto, you might get a full day out of that.  It depends how trigger happy you are.  I've never gone through even a 1200 mAh battery in a day's play, but then I'm parsimonious.

That said, I do always bring a spare anyway.

I can get through 1500bb's in a single 30 minute engagement if I'm feeling it. That said some days I might only use 500bb's. It depends where I place myself, and how abusive to the other team I'm feeling. 1500bb's with 22-25rps is still only about 60 1 second bursts. Doesn't make you many friends tho :D

Point been it's better to have more capacity and not use it, than it is to have to go scrounge a battery from the safe zone.

Archived